Apple Care for iPod - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Care for iPod - worth it?

Just wondering, based on the experience of folks here, is buying Apple Care for a hard drive based iPod worth it? Normally I hate buying the extended care, but as nice as Apple software is, the Apple hardware isn't the most reliable.

Re: Apple Care for iPod - worth it?

It's odd. For anyone else -- Best Buy, Sears, etc. -- I shun "extended warranties" and consider most to be just short of an outright scam. But I've gotten Apple Care, and have used it, and often recommend it. At least for computer purchases.

For an iPod, I'm not sure. Depends on the model and total price. An iPod tends to have a rougher life than a much more expensive desktop or laptop. Things can happen to iPods that would be quite evidently not covered by Apple Care. I'd say it's a 50-50 call, depending on how gentle you are with your gadgets.

I've gotten Apple Care for a $599 Mac mini and it's definitely paid for itself, as Apple has replaced the optical drive twice (which would have cost about $180 each time)... not due to faulty or poor hardware but because of small people in the household. And it definitely saved my life with my MacBook when the fan went bad and the heat warped part of the chassis. They replaced almost half of the entire laptop within a week for free.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      Just wondering, based on the experience of folks here, is buying Apple Care for a hard drive based iPod worth it? Normally I hate buying the extended care, but as nice as Apple software is, the Apple hardware isn't the most reliable.
      My iPod 5G just stopped working one day. I took it into the Genius Bar for diagnosis. Doc did whatever Apple trained him to do. Then he looked up the serial number on the computer, walked away for a few minutes and came back with a bright, shiny, brand new iPod and handed it to me, no questions asked! I'm the one who had to ask...Huh?! The warranty wasn't quite up.

Come to think of it, I've never been asked if I want to buy Apple Care for an iPod.

The Untechie Tutu that I am, I feel very well cared for by Apple. I luuuuuv ProCare!!!

Comment

When I got my IPod almost 2 years ago, my brother advised me to get Apple Care to go along with it. I'm so glad I did!!!! My device(s) have gotten the "sad face icon" 4 times now, and each time - it has gotten replaced with no hassle at all. 3 of those were "refurbished" models but this last time, I got a brand new one. I will definitely renew it in April when it comes due again.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I've never had any problems with an ipod (knocking on head)...

I never bothered with Apple Care for something on the lower end of the price scale like an ipod (although I'm wondering if I should have for my ipod touch... oh well).

I did, however get Apple Care for my iMac and it has saved my bacon a couple of times. Most recently... a month ago it started shutting down for no reason. I'd be in the middle of something, and the fans would go full throttle, then it would shut down. Sucks when you're in the middle of a BG in WoW... but I digress... So I took it in, and they cracked it open, and after a few all-knowing hems and haws it looked like the power supply cooked some capacitors. The dude behind the counter looked grim and asked if I had Apple Care, and looked it up and said "that's good, otherwise you'd be buying a new computer." $1,200 of free repairs made my day. They replaced the power supply and the logic board.

That's actually the second power supply I've gone through on this computer. The first was a few weeks after I got it. Apparently this particular early-generation flat-panel iMac is notorious for having power supply issues.

Comment

Working...
          X