So glad you are here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So glad you are here.

So glad I am here, and that I found you.

I don't know how this will be - I've run into many abusive discussion boards before. Pardon me if I'm shy till I get my feet wet.

I no like get stomped.

I want to talk about changes; I've seen changes in my homeland. Is it me? Am I seeing more? Or is Hawai`i nei changing for the worse?

This among other things I'll be looking for, commenting on or bringing up.

Mahalo for letting me in.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: So glad you are here.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I don't know how this will be - I've run into many abusive discussion boards before. Pardon me if I'm shy till I get my feet wet.
    shy!?!? ......... *giggles*

as HT's rookie....i welcome you with plenty aloha......be attentive and on your toes at all times
    stay forever young

Comment

I no like get stomped.

Aloha and welcome, Kaonohi. Nobody like get stomped. I promise not to stomp you. Very little stomping happens here; lotsa good discussion, though.

Comment

Tell us about your name! I grew up on Kaonohi St. in Aiea.

Comment

K-Den.
          I learned to tread lightly, lately. O'ahu is so different now then from before. Or maybe my perspective has changed; I don't know.
          Mahalo all for your welcome. I'm not used to be focused on, but, hey, it's only a few of you. No sweat.

Brief background:
          I just erased my genetic background - I don't want to make anything of it. Just say I'm 'mixed.' Hapa plenty. No 50% anything.

Came back to Hawai`i in 1968, then went back to the mainland for school. I was studying on the mainland, when my maoli name called me back to come home. Told me to find kahokumiomio'ehiku. (Still looking).

Went study cultural anthropology, focus: Polynesia. Was asst. curator of ethnology at Bishop Museum for a couple of years, but couldn't survive on the pittance of a salary.
          Taught at Hawaii Community Colleges, picked up jobs in editing and writing. Still looking for answers to who I am and why.
          See! Already I'm saying too much. No assume nothing.

It's good to be home. The changes scare me (well, disturb me), it's not the place I left. I don't know if it's me, or 'them.'

I don't remember this kind of road rage. I don't recall this 'kill haole' mentality (mostly from local mokes, but also from portagee locals, male and female!) It seems to me like the past 3 years have seen a dramatic change. Please tell me if I'm off-base! I could be hallucinating....

My connections with kanaka maoli - no change. Same as always.

I can understand the feelings of disenfranchisement, but I can't dig why hapa malahini are targets, except we LOOK haole. But I conduct my life with aloha.

So that's why I'm 'twitchy.' Shy. Reticent.

One favor: be gentle. Don't hold back your truth, but I don't need to be clobbered with it. I'm pretty certain I'm on your side.

K.
          Last edited by Kaonohi; November 3, 2008, 11:03 PM. Reason: spell-check
          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Oh yeah. Forgot.
            My kupuna gave me the name : Ka`onohi`ula`okahokumiomio`ehiku
            This was ostensibly to serve as my guide, to bring me home.

Something to do with stars with 7 points, hence my avatar.

K.
            ~ ~

Comment

Aloha Kaonohi

Comment

Re: So glad you are here for me to talk to.

Hmmmm. Seems pretty safe.

I don't know what's important to know; what to share.

I live in the Ahuimanu section of Kahalu`u, right on (crossing!) Kahalu`u Stream. Ever see the stream photo in your water company brochures? That is from my backyard.
                Ever log onto the Ahuimanu Real estate site? That photo is from the street in front of my home. The plain cinder block and glass building is my neighbor with the goat farm. I love the Koolau view we have. We even can see about 2-3 feet of Kaneohe bay!

This is home. I'm a Windward boy.

We used to run a flower farm here, but for various reasons we stopped growing commercially.

My interests include:
                Hawaiian culture (pre-contact), fencing (duelling), felines (cats), PSI phenomenon, I could go on and on, but these are my major active interests today.

I have a family. I'm married, have a couple of kids. I'm a veteran.

One thing I'm always interested in is the Polynesian symbol I use for my Avatar. I got it originally from a "vision" I had - it kinda imposed itself on my mind. Then I found it in a book by Leinani Melville "Children of the Rainbow" (dubious authenticity?), which spurred my return to Hawaii.
                He described it as a representation of seven maoli spirits (gods) who surround the creator).
                I found a group on the Big Island - Aloha International, who uses the symbol in their publications; they describe it as "the eye of Kanaloa."
                I've found it elsewhere in Polynesia and Micronesia, but with no explanations.
                One of the kumu hula here: Kawai Hewitt, has tattoos of the symbol (acquired since I originally knew him); we used to be acquainted, but he has rejected or not received my attempts to contact him.

If anyone has information or knowledge about this - my mind, eyes and ears are open.

What else? We have a part-dachshund dog, 2 outside cats (adopted strays), and one inside cat. I'm retired, but my wife still works in the medical field, for maybe 2 more years....

I'm always open for questions, if you got 'em.
                ~ ~

Comment

One of the kumu hula here: Kawai Hewitt, has tattoos of the symbol (acquired since I originally knew him); we used to be acquainted, but he has rejected or not received my attempts to contact him.

If anyone has information or knowledge about this - my mind, eyes and ears are open.
                  I'm sorry to hear that. Our auntie used to be one of his haumana, though not for a few years now. I've heard from my contacts in the Hawaiian music scene that he has been "redirecting" his life in the past couple of years, shifting his focus. I wonder if you are suffering some fallout from that (though, of course, I would have no reason to know why that would be).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    I'm sorry to hear that. Our auntie used to be one of his haumana, though not for a few years now. I've heard from my contacts in the Hawaiian music scene that he has been "redirecting" his life in the past couple of years, shifting his focus. I wonder if you are suffering some fallout from that (though, of course, I would have no reason to know why that would be).

I never learn.
                    I spent 30 minutes writing an answer live, on-line, only to have it disappear at the last minute - no fault of the board, just that I got multi-tasked, and when I came back the auto-logout had erased my reply --- or something.
                    Menehune?
                    Nahhhh!

No reason to believe what I write is any more or less valid.
                    Anyway, sometimes when you write things, a negative bias comes out, and I wanted to ensure that this was NOT one of those cases.

I met Frank Kawa`i Hewett while we were both members of 'Hale Naua,' society of Hawaiian artists. Our connection was brief and casual. I have no imperative reason to believe he even remembered me. (Except as the hapa-haole asst. ethnology curator of BPBM). He was always polite, accepting and friendly. I liked him. He had a 'rough' reputation, but I NEVER SAW IT.
                    After I left the BPBM, and Hale Naua's directors moved to the Big Island, communications declined.
                    Kawa`i went his way; I went mine.

Then I heard that he had an experience common to mine:
                    He went with an assistant to a stream bed that ran across old Pali Road. REAL Old Pali road... Just down from the "notch."
                    He was meditating, and the assistant observed that a white-tailed tropic bird (Koa'e Kea) had been hovering and circling over his head. Evidently attracted to him or something. Just before he came out of meditation, the bird flew away.

When I was hiking Kalalau on Kauai, I stopped on the trail to meditate on the place, and absorb the beauty, and center myself.
                    Halfway out I stopped, and began to meditate. My partner later reported that as I settled into meditation, a Koa`e kea came and hovered over my head. She said it 'looked like it was receiving instructions." I was consciously unaware of other presences.
                    After about an hour or so, I was done and we continued our hike. To my surprise she related the experience to me, and I compared it to Kawai's. For several years I ignored it, until I realized it needed attention.
                    I tried to contact Kawa`i, but couldn't find a connection. When I finally did, It was a tattoo site, where he had the Hawaiian version of the 7-pointed star tattooed on his body. I wrote to ask him to clarify, but frankly, I expected little.
                    It may be he was busy, or that his commitments precluded connection. Certainly, I would like to know what the symbol means - to him at least. I've heard many explanations as (I hope) I've explained already.
                    Ultimately, I must find out what it means to me, or for me,at l;east.
                    My eyes and ears are open.
                    It's late, I'm tired, this is the second time I wrote this (lost the first) I hope you get the idea.
                    Be well,
                    ed
                    ~ ~

Comment

My Names

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      I just realized you were probably asking about my screen name/short name, not my full Maoli name...

Ka`onohi is often translated as "the eyeball," but `olelo Hawai`i uses "maka" for eye, so it's a bit different...

Ka, is of course equivalent to "the." `onohi can mean eyeball (probably meaning the iris part), or the center of something, the central stone in a jewelry setting, a fragment of a rainbow, a focus for vision. *

An old maka`ainana saying is: `onohi kau maka, which means "Beloved one," but the literal translation is "Eyeball placed in the (my?) eye." Probably similar to the English saying "The apple of my eye."

My full name, Ka`onohi`ula`okahokumiomio`ehiku, can be translated something like, "the red eyeball center of the seven-pointed star." My avatar is a pictorial description of my full name.

* Thanks to Hawaiian Dictionary, Mary Kawena Pukui & Samuel H. Elbert, University Press of Hawaii
                      ~ ~

Comment

So glad I am here, and that I found you.

I no like get stomped.

I want to talk about changes; I've seen changes in my homeland. Is it me? Am I seeing more? Or is Hawai`i nei changing for the worse?

This among other things I'll be looking for, commenting on or bringing up.

Aloha mai e Kaonohi, pehea 'oe? I love your Hawaiian name! Glad to have you here.
                        'Alika

Comment

Working...
                        X