Disappearing businesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disappearing businesses

Stopped by the Ala Moana Food Court today, wanted to get something from Blazin Steaks and come to find out its closed.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Any guess on what replacements? Sounds like GGP wants smaller retailers in place.
      Depending on what they put in there, it may be one less reason for me to stop at Ala Moana.

Comment

Wow. Never thought I'd live to see the day when Sears was no longer a part of AMC. Shopping there will never be the same, I reckon.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If AMC/SEARS was still worth anything to the general shopper I'd care, but minus the food court and B&N the place has no use in my life.
          And I'm not too thrilled with B&N or the food court any more either!
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Nordstrom & Williams Sonoma are my main stores at Ala Moana Center. and cosmetics from Bare Essentials. Most of my shopping is done online so not much need for a shopping center. and aside from major appliances, Sears stopped carrying any quality merchandise years ago so haven't been in the store in years - won't miss it at all.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Some might not be aware is that the Sears store will be demolished. At first I thought Ala Moana's intention was going to occupy the space with new tenants in the structure that already exists. But they will be tearing down the Sears building as we know it. And to create yet more space, existing parking spaces will be used for this project of the future. I gather during the next year Sears will be getting rid of their inventory and getting the building ready for being razed.

Comment

When you consider how old the Sears store is - maybe its time for it to be demolished? I shopped there beginning in 1963 and it was built about 1959 I think? I'm sorry to see Sears close as it is a great store for tools & appliances. But I probably wouldn't buy anything else there anymore.

and as for only shopping at Nordstrom? I'm not a snob or an elitist - its the closest store to the bus stop so its just practical for me. They have the same items as Macy's and I don't have to walk all the way down there anymore. Plus, the sales staff at Nordstrom are a lot nicer than those at Macy's!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  When you consider how old the Sears store is - maybe its time for it to be demolished? I shopped there beginning in 1963 and it was built about 1959 I think? I'm sorry to see Sears close as it is a great store for tools & appliances. But I probably wouldn't buy anything else there anymore.

and as for only shopping at Nordstrom? I'm not a snob or an elitist - its the closest store to the bus stop so its just practical for me. They have the same items as Macy's and I don't have to walk all the way down there anymore. Plus, the sales staff at Nordstrom are a lot nicer than those at Macy's!
                  I agree with this. I go to Macy's just because I drive, and I like to park there rather than closer to Nordstrom.

What I really miss is Liberty House's quality merchandise.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    Some might not be aware is that the Sears store will be demolished. At first I thought Ala Moana's intention was going to occupy the space with new tenants in the structure that already exists. But they will be tearing down the Sears building as we know it. And to create yet more space, existing parking spaces will be used for this project of the future.
                    Yes. Up to now, Ala Moana's construction projects have been mainly expansion efforts. (i.e. adding new buildings, wings, and floors, along with facelifts here and there.) This will be the first major makeover of the original phase I portion of AMC.

As I said earlier, shopping at AMC won't be the same. And it's more than just the absence of Sears.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Depending on what they put in there, it may be one less reason for me to stop at Ala Moana.
                      Sounds like GGP wants to divy up the space for smaller retailers because they can command higher lease premiums. Otherwise, I think it be interesting if they get someone like Ikea in there. Relatively inexpensive and "stylish" furniture can be appealing for locals. But I'm just dreaming.

Comment

I never had problems with Sears in fact my stove, refrig, washer/dryer, etc. was all purchased from them in the last few years.

Regarding IKEA, the only thing that ever impressed me about that place was the cheap breakfast, you can get a decent breakfast for under $2.00 and the food is pretty good. My experience with them is mostly the one near the Portland Airport which you can ride the light rail in less than 5 minutes.

So you folks want light rail, IKEA in Honolulu too? But I digress.

I think a good spot for IKEA would have been the existing COMPUSA property, but I would worry there wouldnt have been enough parking. IKEA I dont think will ever come to Ala Moana for a few reasons. One the mall has became (save for Longs and a few others) this high class shopping place where an IKEA just doesnt make sense to build it there. It would take up way too much room as well and I think Ala Moana Center has more lofty goals of created numerous chic boutique like stores than a cheap Swedish furniture store.

Comment

Erika Engel asked her Facebook friends what they'd like to see in the Sears space. I answered with Trader Joe's and/or Ikea. I just want both those stores on Oahu regardless of the location! The price points of TJs and Ikea's merchandise are not a good fit for the exorbitant rents at AMC. But, it's fun to think about the possibility! I've heard that TJs has already stated they have no interest in coming to Hawaii.

Comment

For one thing, Sears Ala Moana is like a mini-mall all its own, including places where locals still partake. It has an auto center, an Oceanic kiosk where you can pay your bill and get new cable boxes, an optometrist shop, a little ice cream parlor, a mini-mini food court, a tax preparation center, I believe there’s also a florist somewhere, a Starbucks, airline ticket counters (provided the airline still exists), and heaven knows what else! Like everyone else here has stated, I don’t shop Sears very much anymore. But I lament its demise. It’s not so much the nostalgic factor (though it’s there), but more so I lament the lack of diversity that will result in its closure. If all goes as expected, how much different will Ala Moana Shopping Center be than strolling down Kalakaua in Waikiki? AMSC will end up as nothing more than a mini-Waikiki. I know many of you say it’s already there, but I don’t think it’s there quite yet.

My favorite current Ala Moana tenents:
                            Shirokiya (thank God for uniqueness), Barnes and Nobel (what can I say, I love books and how many book stores are left?), Longs and Foodland (only because of their proximity), the U.S. Post Office (also because of proximity), Macy’s (for sentimental reasons [think Liberty House]), and the Apple Store (which I visited just this morning, and all I can say is “Thank God for the Genius Bar!”).
                            Last edited by Honoruru; February 25, 2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Gee. Some of us are so dismissive.

I will miss Sears at Ala Moana. As a middle-aged professional of livable-but-still-modest means, stores like Penney and Sears have been my go-to for dress shirts and pants, not to mention advice about shirts and pants. I'm fashion-clueless, and the people at both department stores have always been able to help me out without making me feel like an idiot. There is a comfort level I feel at stores like this that counts for a lot, something that's been a reassurance for me ever since I was in high school.

I do not look down my nose at Wal-Mart, and I have bought clothes there (I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit), but the quality and variety at Penney and Sears have been much more in my wheelhouse. And Wal-Mart can't even begin to compare, customer-service-wise.

The owners of the Dave's Ice Cream franchise in Sears were good friends of mine. I'll miss them too.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hang on it is only the Sears at Ala Moana that is closing down. The other Sears locations at Windward Mall and Pearlridge Shopping Center will still be there?

Comment

Working...
                                X