Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Night Clubs from the Past

When I did my visits, I'd usually end up at the old Ranch House in Aina Haina when they had Hawaiian acts. That's where I first saw the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau back in '84, right after Skippy died and John took his place.

Then there was the Jubilee by HCC. It's changed genres over the years but back in the '80s and '90s it was a Hawaiian club. It was a hole in the wall but had a lot of great free pupus.

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
      Then there was the Jubilee by HCC. It's changed genres over the years but back in the '80s and '90s it was a Hawaiian club. It was a hole in the wall but had a lot of great free pupus.
      Nah..nah. It was No Hole in Da Wall. Maybe you talking bout KeyHole?j/k Cause Jubilee was Da Place to be in Kalihi! Disco Dancing, Hawaiian Music, Karaoke, Fights in and outside. Bouncers were bruddahs who handled the crowd with class or with a whack whack. Sometimes with a thrust to da odda side of the street.

There will be no other like her.

Mama served the bess Pupus and yes, it was FREE!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I remember those big bouncers at the Jubilee. Didn't really see any fistfights but it wouldn't surprise me that there were plenty. Are they still there? I can't remember what kine music they were playing the last time I was there but it wasn't Hawaiian.

Then there was also a place in Kane'ohe that started doing Hawaiian. I'm trying to remember where it was. I saw Led play there and there was that place in Manoa that had a lot of Hawaiian but they closed after a fire or something. Saw Dennis out there.

I'd just look in the paper and see who was playing where and try to cram in as many shows as I could during my two week stays. When I lived there I went to the Moana a lot and to Paradise Lounge when Olomana played.

Comment

heheheh

My days of Night Clubbing is long gone. As foa the bouncers who worked at the Old Jubilee. They long gone too. I wish they were places like before. Just relax and listen to good Kanak Music, wala'au, talk to friends/ohana over drinks and kaukau.

Can dream.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            heheheh

My days of Night Clubbing is long gone. As foa the bouncers who worked at the Old Jubilee. They long gone too. I wish they were places like before. Just relax and listen to good Kanak Music, wala'au, talk to friends/ohana over drinks and kaukau.

Can dream.

Auntie Lynn
            EH AUNTIE WAKE UP!

The Willows used to be ladat. Open air, koi pond and braddah ova in da corner jamming to some Olomana and Country Comfort with his tip jar in front.

Had one other place in Waikiki called the Piko Lounge. Small place but had one nice bar with local singers, can't remember the name of the hotel it was in but was near the Ambassador Hotel.
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 27, 2008, 08:47 PM.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hulis outta bed!

Wat! Craig! I wuz counting da sheep already.

K-den. Yeah. I remember Da Willows very well. Bob Nelson played there too. The perfect place in a tropical setting. Ahhh..yes. The memories.

I shall go back moemoe.

Keep da noise down.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

The Willows is still going strong - www.willowshawaii.com

The Ranch House was one of the best. Great music, food and drinks.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Wasn't the Willows the one with the coconut cream pie?

(speaking of good pies, the double crust banana pie from Haleiwa's Sea View Inn was the best)
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
                    Then there was also a place in Kane'ohe that started doing Hawaiian. I'm trying to remember where it was.
                    Are you thinking of the old Honey's (on the corner across from Windward Mall), which then became Ko`olau Ranch House? Lots of great Hawaiian music there. It then became Times Coffee Shop, which is closing in a few days. Hopefully someone will use the building for live music again.

and there was that place in Manoa that had a lot of Hawaiian but they closed after a fire or something. Saw Dennis out there.
                    Shipley's, in Manoa Marketplace. They re-opened after the fire, but it was never quite the same and they finally closed. The music every Sunday night was called Mike Ka`awa & Friends. There's a photo of them on the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association website at this link (and below) where the HSGA says:
                    Shipley's Superjam -- An "Uptown" Sunday jam at Shipley's in Manoa Marketplace, Oahu's "In" spot for musicians to ho`okani pila. (L to R) B.B. Shawn (partly hidden), Mike Ka'a'awa, Dennis Kamakahi, Kawika Kamakahi, Rick Ermshar, and as usual, Bobby Ingano on steel."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

There used to be a place in Hilo, down by the bay near where the Richard Nixon banyan tree is, that had puupuus and Hawaiian music. Maybe it was called the Red Carpet or the Red Door?

Puupuus started off with tofu and mac salad, and the more you drank, the better they got...all the way up to sashimi and poké.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanx for posting that cool pic, LikaNui.
                        I may have been there. I try and catch Bobby every chance I get and saw a few great jams at Shipley's.
                        Mike and the boy's are currently at the Elk's Club, and Honey's At Ko'olau, weekly.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          Nah..nah. It was No Hole in Da Wall. Maybe you talking bout KeyHole?j/k Cause Jubilee was Da Place to be in Kalihi! Disco Dancing, Hawaiian Music, Karaoke, Fights in and outside. Bouncers were bruddahs who handled the crowd with class or with a whack whack. Sometimes with a thrust to da odda side of the street.

There will be no other like her.

Mama served the bess Pupus and yes, it was FREE!

Auntie Lynn
                          Ahhhhhh, Jubilee. Who can forget Auntie Liza and her faithful pilgrimage
                          when the group would play "Hihiwae". I just loved her!

It was great to always get my seat every week with the little index card
                          that said "MEW" on it and reserved. Those were the days.

Comment

Since I'm having a senior moment, here's a test cause no can remembah. Pagoda hotel had/has one night club. Used to go watch Liz Damon and the Orient Express. Territorial Tavern was another of our faves, already mentioned. Disco at the Oceania. Used to also go listen to Charles KL Davis at the old Kemoo Farm in Wahiawa.

Comment

Used to love to go to Yacht Harbor Terrace to hear Bob Nelson play.
                              I think that's the name, it's that condo building across Ala Moana.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                                Ahhhhhh, Jubilee. Who can forget Auntie Liza and her faithful pilgrimage
                                when the group would play "Hihiwae". I just loved her!

It was great to always get my seat every week with the little index card
                                that said "MEW" on it and reserved. Those were the days.
                                Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                                Used to love to go to Yacht Harbor Terrace to hear Bob Nelson play.
                                I think that's the name, it's that condo building across Ala Moana.
                                Wow! I loved Auntie Liza too. We all did. And I also went to hear and sing-a-long with Bob at the Yacht Harbor Towers and Willows. He also played for a little while at the American Savings Bank Building where Bob's Big Boys was located.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X