Where to FISH on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to FISH on Oahu?

Hi everyone as you all know my boy is coming to attend college, he is an avid fisherman and really wants to know what the laws are and where to fish.

Any one who loves to throw a line please let us know where?

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Cnecki; August 12, 2008, 02:11 PM. Reason: Better title/spelling
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Re: Where to FISH on Oahu?

Tamashiro Market.

Nah, nah, juss joking.

I'll ask PK when he pau work.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

thanks, Ya the market is where i like um too! he he

Cnecki

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Tamashiro Market.

Nah, nah, juss joking.

I'll ask PK when he pau work.

Auntie Lynn

I loled, irl!

Most of the info you need can be found at any Marina, like the Ala Moana.

Charter fishing is the best off shore bet. Cast fishing is everywhere, as is spearfishing.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Nuuanu Resevoir, for cat fish and some bass. Plenty people, usually, along the shores.

Lake Wilson, for bass and submerged trees...

Salt water, usually slim pickin's, getting scarce..., unless you go by The Natatorium, where you can grab ulua by hand, because it's a restricted preserve!
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Check out the Dept of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) for fishing info.
            http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dar/fish_regs/index.htm
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Ok, now we're talking my area of expertise.......

The shore fishing on Oahu is lots of fun, but you pretty much need to have an idea what you're fishing for. During the day, you can usually catch Ta'ape (Blue Stripped Snapper) with shrimp or squid along the west shores. You can also catch some Mullet or Pilani (Surgeon Fish) using balled up bread on a treble hook in the Hawaii Kai Area.

But the real action is at night, usually after 9:00pm on a new moon. My two favorite spots are Portlock in the Hawaii Kai area, and Chuns Reef in the North Shore area. That's when we set up poles for Ulua. It's not unusual to catch one from 85 to 100+ pounds. While those poles are set up, we throw out smaller poles for Papio and Omilu. All of these fish are in the Jack family, so they're very aggressive predators and put up an awesome fight. We also catch O'io (Bonefish), and every now and then, a shark.

The laws are simple, and any fishing store will have a copy of the DLNR rules and regulations for fishing. I could go on and on, so if your son has any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them, or even if he wants to come with us on our next overnight fishing deal.

Give me a buzz, and I'll be more than happy to help out

DD
              www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

If he goes to Hanapaa Hawaii, just off Kalihi Street on Republican St. in Kalihi he can probably talk to some of the guys there for advice. They can help him get the right tackle and point him in the right direction.

Location depends on what he wants to catch and, partly, on his experience. For example, you wouldn't want to send a novice to fish for ulua off a cliff.

Good luck!

Comment

Hey everyone, I told the boy about all the comments and he is drooling.........

He is at work now but when he gets home he is going to create an account and chat.

Thanks for the invite too...... I think he might need a bucket for his drooling problem..... ha ha

We just hope his roomate is fisherman friendly with all the poles, gear, sand and fresh fish that will be coming through their little dorm room. he he

Will the bus drivers allow poles and fresh fish on the bus?
                  He wants to take his catch to the grandparents in Makakilo.

I just love to cook the fish when they are brought home. OOOOh like Coconut taro fish and raw fish OOOh the grandparents are going to be in heaven!!!

Thanks to all who posted.....

Comment

gee. i dunno about the poles, but maybe a cooler on the bus would be allowed. but, then again, thebus doesn't even allow luggage.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

BTW, there's a variety of fishing types he can do.

He can whip for papio or other fish using a lightweight rod and spinning reel. That same setup can be used for bait casting or dunking. This all can take place in shallow water on the reef. In which case he'd want a decent set of tabis or reef shoes, too. Doesn't require a lot of gear or heavy tackle.

Note that although the minimum size for papio is 10" from nose to the fork of the tail, Clay Tam of the Div. of Aquatic Resources is suggesting at least 12" to 14" to allow the fish to go through at least one breeding cycle since that's about the minimum spawning size. They're also encouraging fishermen to participate in the papio and ulua tagging program, and to report any tags recovered.

DAR Ulua Tagging Project
                      (808) 587-0593
                      uluatagging@hawaii.gov

Details:
                      http://hawaiigoesfishing.com/papio_tag.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cnecki View Post
                        Thanks for the invite too...... I think he might need a bucket for his drooling problem..... ha ha
                        No worries about the drooling. I drive a truck, so if he's still drooling, I'll toss him in the back with my dog. They can have a drooling contest to see who can make the car behind us turn on their windshield wipers.

Can't wait to hear from your son ! I'm such a fishing geek. If he's from California, he might remember the show Fish Masters. It was a comedy show with these metal heads who loved to fish. When the fish weren't biting, they played air guitar with their fishing poles.....well.....that's me in a nutshell

DD
                        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Hey Diverdown808.

The boy took a look at the comments but is so addicted to making money right now, WHICH I am really surprised at especially because this boy won't even clean his room! He said he will reply when he has time to really chat.

He leaves for school in 5 days so he is trying to see, do, and work as much as he can.

But he said as soon as he lands on the island and checks in his dorm fishing is the next priority - the weekend before school starts. He said he will contact you then.

And thanks again! I guess mommy has more time than him right now.

You know as a mother I could not wait for him to go to college and learn responsibility but all of a sudden he is a mini-fisher-man!

Ho Hum

Look out fish here he comes!

As usual you are all great!

Comment

Working...
                          X