X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Are You GO for $39?

Originally posted by Nik
    My last two flights confirm that go! no longer serves complimentary drinks. Also, the prerecorded pidgin announcements are no more.
    What else can they take away so they can continue to offer those cheap fares? No baggage allowed? Charging $5/carryon? (I dunno if free watered down Passo-Guava drink is worth the $30 more it costs to fly HA or AQ, though)

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks, Nik, for the real-world observations. Very interesting. If they can sustain their ridiculously low pricing (and if their competitors cannot), the trade-offs seem more than reasonable.

But man. Some folks (like my kids!) love that in-flight pog. And smaller carry-on stowage space? Sheesh. Locals have maximizing that space on Aloha or Hawaiian down to a science. I can't imagine adjusting luggage sizes (or Krispy Creme or Two Ladies Kitchen inventory) for a noticably smaller allocation.

Guess the pidgin announcements were seen as overkill in the "we can be local, too!" department.

With the smaller planes, I imagine the ride is bumpier. What about flight times?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        I dunno if free watered down Passo-Guava drink is worth the $30 more it costs to fly HA or AQ, though
        Heh..that's funny..brings back memories of good times for me.. The passion fruit-orange punch (often times Meadow Gold brand) is such a tradition on Hawaiian for me. Island Air also serves it gratis on their flights, at least they did on my flights in and out of Moloka'i last December. It's always served in those chunky, round plastic containers (with the peel-back foil on top), about the third of the height of a standard can of soda. And if you don't want the passion fruit-orange drink, you can have water as well. I've always wondered why they bother serving beverages on the shorter inter-island routes. It seems, on the Lihu'e or Ho'olehua fights anyway, by the time the flight attendents have distributed the punch (with napkin), they turn right around and start collecting the empty containers for preparation for landing. Like I said though, it's a tradition for me...the flights just wouldn't be the same without them to me!

Comment

I haven't timed the actual flight, but I would guess it's about the same as Aloha and Hawaiian. However, the whole process is faster because go! has their own checkin counters that haven't had a single person waiting in line the four times I've checked in and on Oahu they are stationed at the smaller, commuter terminal so the line (if there is one) to get through security is very short.

The checkin counter puts tags on large carryons so that you can leave them outside the airplane's door just before stepping foot inside. After landing you can pick them up at the same place, but full size luggage still has to be picked up at baggage claim. I doubt KrispyKreme would fit in the overhead stowage but I'm pretty sure a box or two would fit under the seats.

I'm disappointed they stopped serving the complimentary passion fruit drinks (yes, it was the plastic cup with foil lid kind), but the low airfare makes up for it.

Comment

HA filed an injunction yesteday to stop go! from selling tickets for a year because it claimed that Mesa used HA information that it received while it was considering purchasing HA to an unfair advantage.

"...Hawaiian, which sued Mesa in February, said in yesterday's motion it has evidence that shows Mesa's chief financial officer, George Murnane, copied text and charts verbatim from a Hawaiian document for potential investors and used the information in a Mesa document. In the motion, Hawaiian said Mesa was "caught with their hand in the cookie jar."

Hawaiian said Mesa benefited from the proprietary information because it was able to use Hawaiian's data and analysis as a shortcut to avoid much of the cost and risk of entering the interisland market.

"The confidential information offered Mesa the equivalent of Hawaiian's user manual for the operation of its interisland business," the motion said. It also said the document made Mesa privy to Hawaiian's marketing methods and pricing strategies...."

I don't know what would be accomplished by forcing go! to stop flying for a year. If go! can keep flying and offering $39 fares, then it behooves the other local carriers to do what they have to to remain competitive.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why innovate when you can litigate? It's the American way!

I'm actually certain that Hawaiian's allegations of Mesa's use of proprietary information to build its own business plan are true. But the cat's out of the bag, and the planes are in the air. Mesa pulled a "gotcha," but a courtroom battle is almost pointless and reflects poorly. Just get 'em back by doing a better job.

After all, if you claim your competition is succeeding only by imitating you, you're in the best position of anyone to put 'em out of business.

Comment

Hawaiian claims that they don't want to shut go down. But the ultimate result
                of forcing go from selling tickets for a year, will force go to shut down..How
                can they fly when (if this injunction is successful) they can't sell tickets.

In other words, if the court orders an injunction it will give Hawaii's business
                climate another black eye. In my opinion the courts here in Hawaii are not
                really business friendly (e.g the Hokulia decision).So it wouldn't surprise me
                that Hawaiian prevails.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                  Hawaiian claims that they don't want to shut go down. But the ultimate result
                  of forcing go from selling tickets for a year, will force go to shut down..How
                  can they fly when (if this injunction is successful) they can't sell tickets.

In other words, if the court orders an injunction it will give Hawaii's business
                  climate another black eye. In my opinion the courts here in Hawaii are not
                  really business friendly (e.g the Hokulia decision).So it wouldn't surprise me
                  that Hawaiian prevails.
                  Hawaiian has every right to sue. Mesa has engaged their competition via intimidation and hostility since its inception. Mesa attacks their own employees unions with the same outright hostility and aggression. God help the paying customer with a complaint who faces this hostility and intimidation firsthand.

Go get em Hawaiian!
                  GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
                    Hawaiian has every right to sue. Mesa has engaged their competition via intimidation and hostility since its inception. Mesa attacks their own employees unions with the same outright hostility and aggression. God help the paying customer with a complaint who faces this hostility and intimidation firsthand.

Go get em Hawaiian!
                    I completely disagree, if Hawaiian Airlines prevails, it will preserve the greedy
                    duopoly that has been ripping off us for years.On top of that I'll never fly Hawaiian ever again,if they prevail.Because they prevented competition in
                    the interisland market,thus screwing the CONSUMERS ONCE AGAIN.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm trying to figure out why Pacific Wings' website only allows IE, and why there are no pictures of airplanes. It's about as sparse a website as I've seen for any business with actual customers.

I've seen their ads so often, I thought I'd go look.
                      Last edited by Linkmeister; July 1, 2006, 09:24 AM. Reason: why not?
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Pacific Wings flies single engine Cessna 208 Caravan aircraft. Photo links below:

Pacific Wings Cessna 208B -1
                        Pacific Wings Cessna 208B -2
                        Pacific Wings Cessna 208B -3

I like the colors of their airplanes.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I completely disagree, if Hawaiian Airlines prevails, it will preserve the greedy duopoly that has been ripping off us for years.On top of that I'll never fly Hawaiian ever again,if they prevail.Because they prevented competition in the interisland market,thus screwing the CONSUMERS ONCE AGAIN.
                          You are believeing mesa's lies hook line & sinker. Mesa charges over $400 round trip on similar length routes on the mainland. The $79 round trips in Hawaii are temporary at best and at worst predatory. Go to travelocity or Expedia and try to book a flight on Mesa from Tuscon to Phoenix. That is the same length as OGG or LIH to HNL. $79 to $405 is over a 400% increase in fares.

Mesa is in effect saying it is OK to screw the people of Arizona to help the people of Hawaii. They are lying & you are buying it. Mesa is full of crap, we have been warning you guys all along. This is not the last of mesa's lies.

Mesa's Lies DOCUMENTED Ornstein & Murname INCRIMINATED!

CLICK HERE!!!
                          http://hapeople.com/news/ExecutiveCo...Injunction.pdf

We been saying it all along. These guys are crooks. Shut em down!
                          GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Jonathan Ornstein is suing the City of Santa Monica, trying to BLOCK PUBLIC ACCESS to THE BEACH next to his big mansion.

Send the shyster packing before he sues the C&C of Honolulu to block public access to his beach house in Kahala. This guy is a crook and no good for Hawaii! His lies are all catching up to him.

There is a PROTEST PARTY planned in front of his house in Santa Monica on July 3rd.

GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
                              Mesa is in effect saying it is OK to screw the people of Arizona to help the people of Hawaii. They are lying & you are buying it. Mesa is full of crap, we have been warning you guys all along. This is not the last of mesa's lies.
                              Well Hawaiian and Aloha are full of crap too. 200.00 for a roundtrip ticket
                              interisland, gimme a break.Both AQ and HA are simply a greedy duopoly
                              screwing the consumers. By that, is a FACT, not an opinion.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Well Hawaiian and Aloha are full of crap too. 200.00 for a roundtrip ticket
                                interisland, gimme a break.Both AQ and HA are simply a greedy duopoly
                                screwing the consumers. By that, is a FACT, not an opinion.
                                OK, konaguy. I will give you a chance to show me where else Mesa flys that they offer round trips for the same distance as Maui to Honolulu for even under $200 Round Trip. Never mind the ridiculous $39 fares. YOU WON'T FIND IT. Don't even bother to consider it is MORE EXPENSIVE to operate in Hawaii than on the mainland because of fuel prices and the salt air.

Mesa flys as America West Express, USAir Express and United Express. Expedia, Travelocity and all the travel websites will indicate "Flights operated by Mesa Airlines" Have at it Kona Guy and you too will quickly find out there is no such thing. You are being lied to by Mesa.

You said it was a FACT so back it up now. Find me a $200 fare on Mesa anywhere else. You cant do it because it doesnt exist. $39 fares are unsustainable and predatory. Mesa is the greedy airline, not AQ or HA. Mesa will pay for their underhanded shenanigans soon enough.
                                Last edited by aloha-anon; July 1, 2006, 04:48 PM.
                                GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Working...
                                X