Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
    Why do dogs feet smell like Fritos?
    OMG...that is SO true !
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Re: Thoughtful questions... possible answers

If large-chested women work at Hooters, do one-legged women work at IHOP?
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
        [...]Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well!
        I completely understood what you were asking. I don't have an answer tho'...but I'm curious, just like you.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          I completely understood what you were asking. I don't have an answer tho'...but I'm curious, just like you.
          I've only been involved in the online forum world since the late '90s and it seems to me that the D?=(dear whatevahs) is a fairly recent thing, the last two-three years or so. It probably came out after the BFF thing due to an insecure spouse wanting cutesy recognition too.

The first couple times I saw it, I thought they were talking about a person who's online nym or real name involved the initials DH.

Then it just got annoying.

Comment

Maybe it's tied into texting...instead of spelling out son, daughter, wife, etc. they write DS, DD, DW, because no one would understand S, D, or W.

Comment

if it is then it comes down to convenience or laziness. I have a friend who types his emails to me (on his computer not a cell phone) with abbreviations such as, "ru bzy tdy?" I can see if he's on his cell phone where typing entire words would be difficult on a numeric pad, but come on he's on a desktop with a full QWERTY keyboard! Pretty soon text language will transcend into the spoken language and we'll be grunting like our ancestors did when they discovered fire!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Dyslexics...

eW llahs ekat revo eht dlrow!!

Comment

I've only been involved in the online forum world since the late '90s and it seems to me that the D?=(dear whatevahs) is a fairly recent thing, the last two-three years or so.[...]
                  I first saw it used on usenet in the mid 90s. I had to ask what it meant!!!

Comment

By way of the occasionally-requested explanation, I regularly use AFK to refer to my sweetie; it stands for Alpha Female from Kane`ohe.

"Alpha Female" came from a wonderful discussion in my first year on HT, when asking for suggestions as to what to call my partner. We are not married (thus eliminating "spouse" or "wife"), but have lived together for nearly 15 years now, so "girlfriend" didn't seem like a strong enough word. When AF came up as a suggestion, we seized upon it. "From Kane`ohe" ... well, that's self-explanatory (though perhaps I have long been adding that as a not-so-subconscious attempt to add some legitimacy to my Hawai`i connections, being a life-long mainland haole meself). Actually, I credit our old friend from this and other fora, Mokihana, for adding the "K" to the acronym.

CW, I hope you don't consider that laziness (either the abbreviation or the lack of marriage license! We've certainly covered that ground before, my friend.)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I first saw it used on usenet in the mid 90s. I had to ask what it meant!!!
                      Really? You musta been in some of the more genteel corners of the net. I hung out in alt.slack and alt.poser...was a little rougher neighborhood.

Comment

Depending what mood I'm in...I call my husband
                        Dear, DH, P.K., Honey, Sweetie, and when I mad...a few others!
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          We are not married (thus eliminating "spouse" or "wife"),
                          Heavens to Mergatroid, I am mortified! Well I'm glad we got that settled.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          Depending what mood I'm in...I call my husband
                          Dear, DH, P.K., Honey, Sweetie, and when I mad...a few others!
                          When mad, call'm FAKAPICOPICO, Dat get his attntion!

Auntie, my daughter in Honolulu dis week on bacation. If someone come up to you at International Marketplace an' say day "ta'ahine fefine o'e Matapule", please gib dem big hug and good Aloha. She be cutie pie!
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            Auntie, my daughter in Honolulu dis week on bacation. If someone come up to you at International Marketplace an' say day "ta'ahine fefine o'e Matapule", please gib dem big hug and good Aloha. She be cutie pie!
                            matapule, I no longer work at IMP.

I'd gladly show your daughter around
                            Honolulu and give her my famous
                            Chinatown Tour. Please have her
                            contact me. I'll give you my phone
                            number on pm.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Really? You musta been in some of the more genteel corners of the net. I hung out in alt.slack and alt.poser...was a little rougher neighborhood.
                              Must admit, those are 2 groups I never heard of! I hung out in a few of the Hawaii newsgroups which had their share of troublemakers. I ended up spending the most time in soc.culture.hawaii because it was moderated...and for good reason, I might add! HT seems to be a bit of an off-shoot of those groups.

Comment

alt.slack revolved around The Church of the SubGenius, BOB and slackness.

alt.poser was a Poser (a 3D imaging program) and general free for all site.

Oh...and I hung out at comic book and movie sites.

Comment

Working...
                                X