Vanity Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanity Plates

Seen any clever ones? Strange ones? Do you have one? If you had a car and had to pick your license plate, what would you have it say?

Hawaii's six-character limit is somewhat confining (many other states give you seven to play with). But the especially creative can still come up with some fun things. I saw a hybrid Prius today with the plate, "CLN AIR."

Re: Vanity Plates

I have two cars both with vanity plates:

WH--LS (two blanks) Buy a vowel

WH LS2 for my other car
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

How did you get two blanks on your plate? I thought they were unusually stingy with spaces and dashes and how they can be used. That's cool. I had a special plate when I had a collector's car... a 1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 with the plate "79 W30" (though I doubt many people knew what it meant).

Today's sighting: An emphatically expensive black Mercedes with the plate "NYSE." Guess he survived the dot-com bomb!

Comment

my cousin has IRNDIT on his Range Rover
        La'akea

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Seen any clever ones? Strange ones? Do you have one? If you had a car and had to pick your license plate, what would you have it say?
          I don't have a vanity plate, and I don't really want one. Buf if I had to have one, I'd probably go for a Kikaida reference. DBLCHP, or maybe DNJEND.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            How did you get two blanks on your plate? I thought they were unusually stingy with spaces and dashes and how they can be used. That's cool. I had a special plate when I had a collector's car... a 1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 with the plate "79 W30" (though I doubt many people knew what it meant).

Today's sighting: An emphatically expensive black Mercedes with the plate "NYSE." Guess he survived the dot-com bomb!

When I applied for it (back in 1984) there were six blanks to fill, so I filled the first and last two. They accepted it then.

In Reader's Digest there was a quip about a middle aged man who was tired with his image so his vanity plate was to mean "18 Again" and it came out I8AGN. His son came home and told his dad, "Cool license plate...I ate again"

When I bought my BMW I wanted LOVNIT but it was already taken! So was 6BOYS, so I opted for a continuation of my Wheels plate WH LS2

The best I saw was on a Toyota when during the 80's it was a war between the VW Bugs and the Toyota SR5's. The Toyota's plate was "RAID" and underneath it said, "Bug Killer".

On a Porche tooling towards Kahala on the freeway was IXLR8. My friend's Turbo/Nitrous VW Rabbit was I8AZ28.

Comment

Parents still live in Hawaii....my dad was a US Marine and fought in the Korean war. His license plate says "Combat Veteran" on it!
              Lovena

Comment

I see AV8R around once in a while; I wonder what sort of plane he/she flies.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

My brother has vanity plates on his car KH7MS [He is a licensed Ham]
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Weird license plates you've seen

This morning, I just saw a Scion xB with the license plate "bntobx" (bento box)

I thought that was the perfect name for it, as that car is a box on wheels.

What other weird license plates you've seen on a car?
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: Weird license plates you've seen

A long time ago (either in 1990 or 1991) while visiting the Bay Area I was crossing the Bay Bridge (the one that runs from Oakland to San Francisco) and the car in front of me had a plate that said SETPRV, which happen to be one of the privileges available to a username under the VMS operating system. While I took a picture of that car I didn't manage to get the license plate in the photo.

Comment

I thought it said Set Perv! Still didn't make any sense to me. The funniest one was one I read in Reader's Digest where this middle age heavy set man bought a new car and put on a vanity plate to say: 18 Again. It read 18AGN. His teenage son tells his dad, "Cool license plate...I ate again"

My two cars have license plates that read:

Car 1: WH__LS with two underscores between the H and the L. When people ask me what that means I tell them to buy a vowel: WHeeLS and this plate is on my AstroVan, initially on my Scirrocco back in 1988.

Car 2: WH_LS2 that is currently on my BMW.

My friend had a license plate on his Turbocharged/Nitrious powered VW Rabbit: I8AZ28

Another good one was on a Toyota SR5 back in the Toy Boy vs VW Bug boys days of the 80's and 90's: RAID as in bug killer.

Comment

I had a Dodge Grand Caravan with the license plate of JSS 727. I got stick on letters and made it say...
                          JeSuS heb.7:27. "who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people's, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself."
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
                            I had a Dodge Grand Caravan with the license plate of JSS 727. I got stick on letters and made it say...
                            JeSuS heb.7:27. "who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people's, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself."

hooo boy be careful; defacing or altering a licence plate is unlawful. even if it's christian kine.

Comment

When I was in college (early 1980s), I saw a white VW Rabbit with the plate "ML8 ML8." Still my favorite plate ever.

Recently tried to get HI OFCR for my Harley but it was already taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X