Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Who won the first presidential debate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Who won the first presidential debate?

I think it was a tie. Since I expected Obama to win, measuring against this expectation, maybe I should count it as a win for Romney.
    Obama won.
    23.08%
    Romney won.
    76.92%
    Last edited by GregLee; October 3, 2012, 05:16 PM.
    Greg

Re: Poll: Who won the first presidential debate?

The event was without any drama.

The whole scenario was concocted from the start till the finish.

Dull as ditchwater.

No distinct winner here.

Now Biden vs Ryan, one would hope to see a few sparks there.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
      I think it was a tie. Since I expected Obama to win, measuring against this expectation, maybe I should count it as a win for Romney.
      Greg, you should have made “tie” as one of the options in your poll. I agree with you. Neither of the candidates won this debate. Romney made some piercing criticisms that Obama did not have an adequate response for. But Obama called Romney’s bluff on solutions. Romney has continued to make “future bipartisan negotiations” his go-to excuse when asked why he refuses to give details on how his plan works. It was a good debate, but it really didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. While I do agree that Romney performed better than most people probably expected, my vote still goes to Gary Johnson. Maybe the next debate will draw a sharper line.
      Last edited by TuNnL; October 3, 2012, 10:42 PM. Reason: link

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        While I do agree that Romney performed better than most people probably expected,
        Romney covered the point spread. A moral victory.

Comment

Romany won in entertainment value only - all the fact-checking went Obama's way (though a trillion of his 4 trillion dollars in deficit cuts was deemed a 'gimmick' due to decreased war spending, it still qualifies as 'factual').
          Last edited by salmoned; October 3, 2012, 11:41 PM.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I didn't "see" the debate on TV so couldn't judge the body language. I was traveling and "saw" it on radio. Obama did not come off well on radio in my opinion. He sounded very tentative and not well prepared. I give the definite edge to Romoney, however Romoney's stated "facts" in the debate will not stand up to scrutiny.

I was at the White House last Friday. The President was unavailable to meet with the matapule. I presumed he was busy preparing for the debate.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I thought Romney won. The only important question is the policies, Romney's are a return to the Bush policies, Obama's are clearly digging us out of the ditch Bush left.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Greg, you should have made “tie” as one of the options in your poll.
                Yes, I should have, but you can vote for both choices, if you like.

I wish that Obama had made Clinton's "it's the arithmetic" point more forcefully, and just hammered away at it throughout. We can't spend 9 trillion dollars and get all that by eliminating tax breaks for the rich (even if Romney actually intended to do that). It's just not possible. Rich people do get lots of tax breaks, but not 9 trillion dollars' worth, or even just the 5 trillion dollars it would cost to lower rates by 20%.
                Greg

Comment

Comment

My favorite headline from the debate: "Mitt Romney threatens to pull plug on moderator during debate!"

Tho, from a pure numbers perspective, "Romney fought 2 to a standstill!" takes the cake.
                    Last edited by salmoned; October 4, 2012, 12:23 PM.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Helen weighs in on the debate. Margaret feels sorry for Jim Lehrer. Love these ol' gals!

Comment

http://in.news.yahoo.com/al-gore-bla...070418878.html

No wonder UH teams lose when they travel and play in the Rockies.

Comment

Was that the real Romney or a replacement Romney at the debate?

Comment

Romney's only job of late is campaigning and cramming for debates while the President is preoccupied by the job for which he was hired in 2008. Big Bird agrees!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Big Bird agrees!
                              Tutu, I think this was a HUGE gaffe by Romoney at the debate. EVERYONE identifies with Big Bird - rich, poor, - legal, illegal, - Anglo, other, - gay, straight. You just don't mess with Big Bird!!!!!!!!! Big Bird is not a threat to anyone, but is a conduit for mutual and universal understanding. Romoney's attitude toward PBS is something we can all address at the most essential level. Matapule was talking today with a neighbor who is a conservative Republican. He brought up Big Bird and is offended that Romoney wants to put Big Bird on the unemployment line.

Romoney may have won this debate, but he has lost the war (election). Obviously, Romoney was well prepped in the debate including the Big Bird comment, but his "handlers" made a big mistake on that call!
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                              X