Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    Thanks for your concern! Glad we were spared what hit Japan.
    We were spared massive devastation and destruction, for which we can be thankful for.

Not that Hawaii won't be impacted by the events in Japan. While the physical damage wasn't catastrophic, the economic impact on the tourism business will linger for quite some time.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Matapule extends his tapu to ohana in Hawai'i and Japan. We got hit in California and west coast Mexico too!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Not that Hawaii won't be impacted by the events in Japan. While the physical damage wasn't catastrophic, the economic impact on the tourism business will linger for quite some time.
        Good point. We're living in a connected world.

Looks like some American won the Darwin Award. Aye-yah!
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          We got hit in California and west coast Mexico too!
          I imagine you saw all that damage in Santa Cruz harbor, right? Not sure if you ever had your boat in there, but I did some racing out of there back in the day. Very small harbor with a very narrow entrance that silts up quite often, so the size and shape of that harbor helped yesterday's surges do all that damage.
          With all the damage to harbors here, I wonder what MenehuneMan and his friend are going to do when they arrive after their crossing from California. Keehi Lagoon, where they're headed, got destroyed pretty bad so I wonder where they'll put the boat. The slip they'd planned on using is toast.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            [...]
            Looks like some American won the Darwin Award. Aye-yah!
            Standing on a sandbar at the mouth of a river? Wotthehell was he thinking? He won the award but there were other nominees in Waikiki as witnessed on the web cams that night!

Businessman Charlie Leonard, who lives on the 19th floor of a condo on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, said Hawaiians took this tsunami more seriously than they did following a February 2010 earthquake in Chile.
            Well, I'm here to tell ya that his haole took the warning seriously, too!

Comment

Now there is the huge clean up and the ongoing nuclear problem for Japan to deal with. I wish them all the luck in the world. This was an off scale disaster. The kind you could never adequately prepare for. Many such disasters are potentially in America's future too--a huge fault line off the Pacific Northwest, the New Madrid fault in the center of the country, two super volcanos at Mammoth Lakes Cal and Yellowstone, and the possibility of a landslide on the Hawaiian Islands possibly at the Great Crack on the Big Island. Maybe more. The power of such potential disasters is so overpowering that we really can't prepare, and even if we could the cost would overwhelm the rest of the economy, we all just basically accept that we are living on borrowed time, and actually we are. Geologists think a "great quake" like the recent one at Fukushima are very unlikely if not impossible in California because of the different nature of the San Andreas fault, but the amount of damage very often relates to the location of the epicenter relative to population centers: the Haiti quake was not especially large, but it was shallow, right under a big population center that unfortunately did not have structurally sound buildings. As the Fukushima quake proves, even well engineered buildings cannot stand up to a truly massive quake. A Haiti size quake under Los Angeles, or along the bay front in San Diego or on the Hayward Fault in the San Francisco Bay would be the worst natural disaster in the country's history, and if a 9+ ever got loose off Oregon and Washington we would have another Fukushima on our hands.

Comment

A geologist on c2c last nite sed Japan will be getting more of these large quakes in the near future, that Japan and the Americas are slowly coming closer to each other. They even measured incrimental movement of exactly this activity from the recent episode. Supposedly, there's a big hole in the earth that it's filling, and this is part of it.

Plus, we soon will have the moon coming closer to earth than in a long time, so that may cause some extra problems.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

According to the CNN story at this link:

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet, shifted Earth's axis

The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.
                  (...)
                  Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).
                  (...)
                  The quake triggered more than 160 aftershocks in the first 24 hours -- 141 measuring 5.0-magnitude or more.
                  The quake occurred as the Earth's crust ruptured along an area about 250 miles (400 kilometers) long by 100 miles (160 kilometers) wide, as tectonic plates slipped more than 18 meters, said Shengzao Chen, a USGS geophysicist.
                  (...)

Comment

Problems at three nuclear reactors may be the worst result of the quake, and it's getting rapidly worse, according to this story.

Cooling systems failed at another nuclear reactor on Japan's devastated coast Sunday, hours after an explosion at a nearby unit made leaking radiation, or even outright meltdown, the central threat to the country following a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami.
                    (...)
                    Japan's nuclear safety agency then reported an emergency at another reactor unit, the third in the complex to have its cooling systems malfunction.
                    (...)
                    The explosion at the nuclear plant, Fukushima Dai-ichi, 170 miles northeast of Tokyo, appeared to be a consequence of steps taken to prevent a meltdown after the quake and tsunami knocked out power to the plant, crippling the system used to cool fuel rods there.
                    The blast destroyed the building housing the reactor, but not the reactor itself, which is enveloped by stainless steel 6 inches thick.
                    (...)
                    Virtually any increase in dispersed radiation can raise the risk of cancer, and authorities were planning to distribute iodine, which helps protect against thyroid cancer. Authorities ordered 210,000 people out of the area within 12 miles (20 kilometers) of the reactor.
                    (...)
                    Officials have said that radiation levels at Fukushima were elevated before the blast: At one point, the plant was releasing each hour the amount of radiation a person normally absorbs from the environment each year.(...)

Comment

A collection of video where the visuals range from hilarious (2 moments) to tragic and beyond http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theenv...ke-and-tsunami
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        Took a quick nap before the 3am event and had some sleep between the 5 am to 10 am time frame (with the TV on all the time). All I remember is waking up to The Price is Right.

Werid thing was that the Honolulu Star Advertiser being deilvered at my door at 4am. I would have suspect it to be delayed until the daylight hours with a special edition with this morning's events.
                        Newspaper and mail was delivered, but our trash (recycle material) was not picked up.

Comment

Here's a link to some photos of the devastation in Japan. If you hover over the photos, you'll see the before and after.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm
                          Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            A geologist on c2c last nite sed Japan will be getting more of these large quakes in the near future, that Japan and the Americas are slowly coming closer to each other. They even measured incrimental movement of exactly this activity from the recent episode.
                            You mean plate tectonics is real?
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

One of the local cable channels is doing a live feed from NHK news in Tokyo, I can pick out a few words here & there having taken Japanese 25 years ago. This situation is incredibly sad, its frightening.

I am concerned for the whole Pacific basin if there is a serious meltdown. I wish some reporters would find out what danger a melt down would pose to the Pacific, the currents, air and sea, I am serious--will it be safe to even go in the ocean? Will fishing be over for the rest of our lifetimes? We need to know. Hawai'i needs to know, for sure.

One of the Fukushima nuke plant's designers said they never figured in a tsunami. The plant stood up very well to the earthquake itself, it has been damage from the tsunami to the backup cooling systems that has caused the problems.

This is an awesome tragedy. If I were a praying man I'd pray, all I can do is send positive vibes, some money, my condolences and deep hope that this resolves as positively as possible as soon as possible.

Comment

There's an interesting video of the surge at WaikikiBeach at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zNAX...layer_embedded .
                                The video is 13:49. Watch the first couple of minutes as the water is going out, then fast forward to about the 10:30 spot and watch it screaming back in. The video was taken in broad daylight, so it was clearly six hours or so after the first surges.
                                The cameraman was an idiot for being out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X