President Obama's State of the Union Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

Did anyone here catch pee-party cheerleader Bachman's 'starring at the wrong camera' response? http://thepartyofknow.com/2011/01/26...-of-the-union/

We coulda cooked our manapua from all the steam generated by their 'values' heat over this fail.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Wow. Look B.O. and Gaddafi. Big handshake, big smiles, good friends. He opens fire on unarmed citizens. No wonder that impotent and late half measures from Obama to stop the murder of thousands of unarmed Libyan citizens happens. He doesn't want to be too hard on Gaddafi. One tomahawk missle at a Gaddafi rally could end the whole thing - but alas B.O. isn't smart enough to think of that. What next, is he going to shake Bin Laden's hand? 2012 elections, I can't wait!

Well some of you will probably say that every leader does this, so is there a photo of Reagan shaking Gaddafi's hand? Is there a photo of FDR shaking Hitler's hand?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by AlohaKine; February 26, 2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

The St. Petersburg Times has a political promises tracking site that rates public servants based on promises they made and which ones they kept and broke.

There were many surprises there, particularly regarding Obama!
        He broke a lot of his campaign promises! But he kept more than he broke. See which ones are most important to you.

You can check on the Republicans, too!
        (In a format even I can understand!)
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The PolitiFact "Truth-o-meter" is bogus from this standpoint. It rates Repub as only one promise kept and the rest "in the works" or "not yet rated." And many of the Repub promises listed as "in the works" have no chance of succeeding.

However, for Obama, it has nothing in the "not yet rated" column, choosing instead to rate them as "promise not kept." PolitiFact has no idea of what "promise not kept" programs are really "in the works." And why are some Obama promises rated as "promise not kept" when his term isn't over yet? Does PolitiFact expect that all his promises would be enacted the first day he took office?

The other problem is that many of the programs promised by Obama have been blocked by Repubs. Consequently, the PolitiFact rating is intentionally misleading for those with a-priori convictions and therefore is bogus.
          Last edited by matapule; February 27, 2011, 02:27 AM.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Prescott Bush began the Bush family fortune trading with Hitler. Reich wing conservative Koch began his fortune building oil installations for Stalin. Reagan got Al Qaeda going, he gave them arms to annoy the Soviet backed regime in Afghanistan. That sure worked out well. Quite a bit more relevant than some staged handshake with Khadaffi. Reagan ended President Carter's energy independence program, we wouldn't have had any need to bow and scrape before these Mideastern oil potentates if we had become energy independent. What a fine legacy from "our "greatest" "president"".

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              the soundbites I've heard were part of an excellant continuation of his legitimate re-election campaign that started with his inauguration, revamped some for the current times, and a declaration to the cons that he is who he is and who they have to beat as he stands on a two year recovery of historic proportions, with jobs starting, and without a 9-11 or Katrina's other than the forgotten oil spill... to sully the weather past what the cons insist on.
              If by ‘cons’ you mean ‘neocons,’ you should realize that that ideology is no longer in control of the Republican Party. The Tea Party was elected to Congress in significant numbers and by the end of the 2012 election cycle (mainstream demonization notwithstanding), will be the majority of the national GOP. These dedicated and responsible group of young men and women are seriously committed to fiscal discipline, lean libertarian, and most have no interest in the “neocon” planks of the Republican agenda.

My only hope is that Ron Paul will launch another Presidential campaign. He still holds the single-day record for Internet fundraising, and can play a much more substantial role in Presidential politics this time around.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

It is now very clear that the tea party was an invention and almost totally funded by the Ayn Randist wacko John Birch Society wacko Koch brothers. All you are going to see if things go the way they want is the US deteriorate into a 3rd world nation. I see it every time I drive now and have to dodge the pot holes that the city can't afford to fix any more because some billionaire is getting that miserable extra 4%. Libertarianism, do everything on your own. Funny how every other country in the world, especially those that are going forward while we continue to fall farther and farther behind, embraces taxing the wealthy in order to afford good public assets and those would be schools, roads, public health systems. The Koch boys even have the congress they wanted, defunding the EPA so their oil industry can pollute all it wants and that is a cost shoved onto the people who get sick from it and the middle class tax payers who pay for needless hospitalizations and burials and raising the orphans and treating the birth defects over the lifespans of the victims. But thats what the people voted for when they were so GD shallow as to buy that show. Maybe they actually deserve all the suffering their votes are going to bring upon themselves, just for being so GD stupid and shallow. Maybe. Hard to justify it for the kids though.

Comment

Corporate taxes are at historic lows relative to GDP yet the economy is in the tank. So much for Bagger/Libertarian warmed over "trickle down economics." Bagger/Libertarians are nothing more than Reagan ultra-conservatives on steroids. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    Corporate taxes are at historic lows relative to GDP yet the economy is in the tank. So much for Bagger/Libertarian warmed over "trickle down economics." Bagger/Libertarians are nothing more than Reagan ultra-conservatives on steroids. It didn't work then and it won't work now.
                    It's peurile to look back and say, "It didn't work." Every 3-year-old* knows it didn't work.

So what's YOUR answer? How would YOU solve it? Or are you just putting down people who don't agree with you?

*relative to political education.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
                    Benjamin Franklin

~ ~

Comment

For those that are unaware or uneducated about recent economic and fiscal history in the US, here is a brief primer.

Corporate and personal taxes are at historic lows right now, some of the lowest in the world. The maximum marginal tax rate is 35%. Just 30 years ago, when the US was prosperous, the maximum marginal corporate tax rate was 90%! Then Reagan came along, cut taxes, reduced public programs, and promulgated the biggest budget deficit relative to the GDP in history. The current budget deficit pales (percentage-wise) to what Reagan did. One program cut that particularly gales this matapule is Reagan's cut to Federal mental health programs. He shoved this responsibility to the States without providing any funding. Without money to fund these programs, the States closed many of the mental health institutions. And this was the beginning of the rampant homeless problem in the US. I can tell you parenthetically, that the US has a homeless problem maybe 1,000 worse than a second world country like Mexico. A majority of the homeless in the US have mild to severe mental health problems......thank you "greatest President ever", Ronald Reagan! We Americans, should be very proud of ourselves, living in our relative comfort, while our brothers and sisters who have severe problems, live in squalor in the streets.

How do we solve this? Do what Clinton did, RAISE TAXES! Clinton left office with a budget surplus after fixing the mess left by Reagan. Start by increasing the marginal tax rate to 39% for personal incomes over $100K and 50% for incomes over $250K per year and the corporate marginal tax rate to 75%. Start a Federally funded WPA style program like in the 30's. Start by fixing and improving our infrastructure. Put people back to work and paying taxes! Provide public services for our most needy!

I challenge you Baggers to go live on the street with the homeless for just one week without a dime in your pocket and you will get a real fast education on the economics of taxation. Shame on you!

Comment

"How do we solve this? Do what Clinton did, RAISE TAXES! Clinton left office with a budget surplus after fixing the mess left by Reagan. Start by increasing the marginal tax rate to 39% for personal incomes over $100K and 50% for incomes over $250K per year and the corporate marginal tax rate to 75%. Start a Federally funded WPA style program like in the 30's. Start by fixing and improving our infrastructure. Put people back to work and paying taxes! Provide public services for our most needy!"---A BIG Amen!

Comment

Why did the stockholders/buyers lower their expectations and lose faith under W?
                          Pretty simple - I'm surprised you don't get it. We had a POTUS who was throwing billions of dollars overseas in TWO wars. He was extending special privileges and 'get out of jail free' cards to the ultra rich, and was tanking the economy.
                          You don't buy stocks when you expect the market to dump - 'buy low, sell high.'

Your argument has little merit in accepted and verified economic theory, both Liberal and Conservative.
                          I don't pretend to be an economist, I'm an observer; like I said, I watch results, not promises, and I've also observed that theories change with the tides.

The ONLY argument I made, in any case, was that we make the market go up and down. I don't really care what theories say, I know that when people are unwilling (or unable) to buy stocks, the prices will go down. When they are willing (or able) to pay higher prices, the prices will go up. Or did the laws of supply and demand get repealed?

Without knowing current economic 'theories,' I made a lot of money over the past 10 years - in the stock market.
                          Last edited by Kaonohi; March 4, 2011, 11:16 AM.
                          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                            Pretty simple - I'm surprised you don't get it.
                            Because I'm 'tupid? I don't know, I'm clueless.

I don't pretend to be an economist, I'm an observer;
                            More truth than poetry in that!

like I said, I watch results, not promises, and I've also observed that theories change with the tides.......I don't really care what theories say,
                            Bagger economics don't work! Ohana, this is what is called a circular argument.......in action!

I gave my solutions, what are yours! I notice you didn't disagree with my solutions. Put up ot shut up! Stop trolling!

Without knowing current economic 'theories,'
                            As Kalalau says, "a BIG amen." Then don't debate economic 'theories' if you don't know what you're talking about. If you're going to a dog fight, don't bring a Chihuahua.

I made a lot of money over the past 10 years - in the stock market.
                            Matapule is REALLY impressed! Then use some of it to help the socially challenged homeless! Or why don't you gve about $10K to Auntie Pupule's Slipper Project? Or you can join the Bagger/Libertarian/uber-
                            conservative "me, me. me" mindset.

Nuf said.

Comment

Because I'm 'tupid? I don't know, I'm clueless.
                              More truth than poetry in that!

I gave my solutions, what are yours! I notice you didn't disagree with my solutions. Put up ot shut up! Stop trolling!

Matapule is REALLY impressed! Then use some of it to help the socially challenged homeless! Or why don't you gve about $10K to Auntie Pupule's Slipper Project? Or you can join the Bagger/Libertarian/uber-
                              conservative "me, me. me" mindset.

Nuf said.
                              Perhaps too much, and too much baiting!!! I got the impression you don't like baiting, then why do you keep doing it?
                              I never called you stupid - and trolling? Do you understand the term?
                              WTF do you keep accusing me of being a "Bagger?" I'm not - that is trolling.

I didn't disagree with your solutions cause I agreed with them, I think they are right on. I don't have anything better.

We give a considerable portion of our income to charity annually - mostly health and social causes. Not that it's any of your business - but it sure goes to show you don't know S%!~ about me, in spite of your pretensions.

I added what I believed. This is an open forum; I don't have to meet YOUR criteria to post my opinions, just the forum rules.

Maka, it looks to me like you seem to have a personal problem. I know something I did or didn't do upset you and now you attack me at every opportunity. You're not even decent enough to contact me via PM and discuss the truth, you just simmer and attack. It all started when you were 'commanding' me to apologise to Frankie for I know not what - and you won't even discuss it, you just keep throwing stones.

Reading your above post you seem out of control, either consumed with anger or in an altered state of mind. Once before you apologised for a post where you said you drank too much - then you reply to my homeless post saying don't post when drinking? That too, is trolling.

I'm tired of these attacks. I have as much right to post here as you do and a right to my opinion, whether wrong or right. You have a right to disagree, or ignore my posts, you have no right to attack me, no matter what kind of Tongan Tahuna or royalty being a 'matapule' may make you.

From our HT forum rules: (italics mine)
                              "Do you have rules?Sure. No make huhu. That is to say, the standard guidelines of online communities apply.

There are three key considerations. First, no posting obscene, illegal, inflammatory or libelous content. Second, all outside announcements and promotional material (be it for a business, non-profit community group, or private project) should be relevant to Hawaii and limited to the "
                              Hale Ku`ai" (Marketplace) section. Finally, no personal attacks: discuss, debate, and dissect ideas, not each other.

Hint: Just don't post when mad, or just to get someone else mad. Rising blood pressure is a good sign that it's time to step away from the keyboard for a while."

Your personal attacks draw the community away from the purpose of the thread, and they make you look bad, as well. My suggestion? Get smart; do the right thing. At least follow the rules.
                              ~ ~

Comment

I tell you this from the bottom of my heart: the ONLY reason you would want to fire thousands of people during a recovery from a recession would be to make the economy fall into recession again. That is the ONLY reason the Republicans want to slash the federal budget. They had NO problem with 2 unnecessary wars and tax breaks for billionaires and a needlessly costly (to the tune of $500 billion costly) senior drug benefit, and now suddenly they care about deficits. Give me a f------ break! Now is the time to HIRE people and God knows there's a ton of work that needs to be done, every pot hole you hit (how are they in Hawai'i now? Here in Cal the roads are like Mexico 15 years ago) testifies. And then why do they want power? Why to deregulate Wall St. so their campaign contributors can loot it again! It is so sick.

Comment

Working...
                                X