Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial divide and schools?

Hello,

I just want to ask how serious if it even exists?
    I have been there before and never experienced what I have been "forwarned" by mainlanders. The things they ask/tell me are:

1. Did you hear about the schools there?

2. I heard the schools are bad, aren't you scared for your kids?

3. I heard they don't like non-Hawaiians.

Seriously, I NEVER experienced anything negative there. I am actually excited about it. My family is excited. I have job prospects. I have nothing but positive things from experience. Then again, I believe in positive thinking and am outgoing.

Re: Racial divide and schools?

Answer me this. These mainlanders? Are they from Hawaii and are they speaking from experience? Or are they just pulling stuff out of their you-know-where just to scare you?

Reading stuff like this pisses me off, I'm sorry. This is not directed to you, OahuGirl -- but I've lived here my whole life and if it were really a problem, you'd think I'd hear about it by now, right? I can't stand reading stuff that start with, "I heard that...."

I'm thinking you'll get similar answers from HTers.

Pay no attention to what these mainlanders say. Your family is excited and that's the important thing. It's not necessary to get you and the family worked up over something that's not even true. Sure, they'll probably experience some kids-will-be-kids behavior, but I doubt it'll be racially motivated.

There are more pressing issues in the school system to worry about. But that's for a whole 'nother thread.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
      Reading stuff like this pisses me off, I'm sorry. This is not directed to you, OahuGirl -- but I've lived here my whole life and if it were really a problem, you'd think I'd hear about it by now, right? I can't stand reading stuff that start with, "I heard that...."

There are more pressing issues in the school system to worry about. But that's for a whole 'nother thread.
      You go girl!!!! Giff um!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

2. I heard the schools are bad, aren't you scared for your kids?
        Nope. My kids would do fine Hawaii's schools.

Comment

You know being born and raised in hawaii I have heard that but at the same time I was fine in school. I dont think Hawaii's school system is bad. I think the could improve some bit as to the conditions sometimes of certain schools but I think kids do fine. I dont hear much about kids being racially affected. Hawaii has choke planny diversity. You know you can listen to what others say and can take opinions and suggestions but what it will ultimately come down to is your very own experience. Everyone will be treated differently. To me Hawaii is very kick back, aloha. Up here on the mainland, if I say oh tank ah aunty, they look at me like I broke a law.

There are many non hawaiian kids that go to schools in hawaii. There are military kids also. I am non hawaiian although I am local. I look haole but Im samoan haole, Ive never came across a situation where someone called me a racial slur or something.

Are you from hawaii and moved away at an early age or?

Comment

Originally posted by OahuGirl View Post
            Hello,

I just want to ask how serious if it even exists?
            I have been there before and never experienced what I have been "forwarned" by mainlanders. The things they ask/tell me are:

3. I heard they don't like non-Hawaiians.
            They probably mean non-locals. Not everyone who lives in Hawaii, even those who are born and raised in Hawaii, are Hawaiians. You might want to correct them on this point the next time one of them brings it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
              They probably mean non-locals. Not everyone who lives in Hawaii, even those who are born and raised in Hawaii, are Hawaiians. You might want to correct them on this point the next time one of them brings it up.
              Hawaiian

a A Native Hawaiian.

b A native or inhabitant of the Hawaiian Islands, the state of Hawaii, or Hawaii Island.

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
                Hawaiian

a A Native Hawaiian.

b A native or inhabitant of the Hawaiian Islands, the state of Hawaii, or Hawaii Island.
                Since I respect the kanaka maoli (definition 1a), I refuse to acknowledge definition 1b. A person born in Hawai'i and not of kanaka maoli ancestry is a kama'aina or local. A newcomer to Hawai'i is a malihini.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; February 16, 2007, 08:58 AM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Since I respect the kanaka maoli (definition 1a), I refuse to acknowledge definition 1b. A person born in Hawai'i and not of kanaka maoli ancestry is a kama'aina or local. A newcomer to Hawai'i is a malihini.

Miulang
                  I agree, Miulang.

1b incorrectly states that Hawaiian = someone born in Hawaii (regardless of ethnicity/ancestry). Not true. While the reasoning might apply to someone from Texas (Texan) or New York (New Yorker), it definitely doesn't apply here.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Friends of mine moved here six years ago. Their parents sent them all kinds of forwarded emails containing testimonials about the schools...just like the ones your well-meaning friends have sent you.

My friends responded with this: The stories you send might be true, but they're from people who LEFT. Stories from people who STAYED are going to be different. And we're planning on staying.

It sounds like you already know how to feel, OahuGirl. Don't let people tell you what to do. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but let it not work out on your terms, not because someone scared you.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      I refuse to acknowledge definition 1b.
                      And so do I. 1-b includes an "inhabitant" as a Hawaiian, which means that someone who moved here, say, last week is a Hawaiian.
                      Not even close.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hawaiian
                        a A Native Hawaiian.
                        Is this your own creation, Reineke, or from another source? (One that may soon be hearing from, oh, I dunno ... a buncha people from HT, perhaps?)

Comment

Doesnt it matter to what area of Hawaii are you moving to?
                          How well rounded and friendly are your kids?
                          I'd say moving to Kalihi or Waianae might be different then moving to say, Kahala or Hawaii Kai, sad to say.
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Is this your own creation, Reineke, or from another source? (One that may soon be hearing from, oh, I dunno ... a buncha people from HT, perhaps?)
                            At least one culprit is www.answers.com. Another misinformed website is eLook.org.

Some other sites are more politically sensitive to the correct definition.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hawaiian

a A Native Hawaiian.

1a--Yes, most definitely.
                              1b--Ahem, HELL NO. This one should say, "I'm from Hawai'i."

Comment

Working...
                              X