Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hui Aloha > Islanders Away
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 28th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Ali`i

Default Is cost of living really why so many move?

Islanders Away ...... why does it happen? Many times we hear that it is due to the high cost of living here in Hawaii. But is there more to it than that, is that an "easy excuse" to give that is acceptable without other people pressing for more information or giving their unwanted advice?

The StarAdvertiser has a story about the zoo director leaving his position.The director, "whose resignation is effective Dec. 15, has been making $164,000 annually". But a press release by his new employer in Abuquerque said he "had accepted a post as its deputy chief executive at $110,000 a year."

Humm, the decrease in wages of over $50K are going be offset by a lower cost of living? Well, maybe I should look into the average cost of housing in his destination of Albuquerque, N.M. before I decide.

Anyway, what I'm really wondering is why do people leave, and is cost of living a strong consideration but there are actually other important things at play too? Such as limited employment advancement opportunities? Poor performing public schools? Traffic problems (Oahu)? Social/cultural disharmony? Why do folks move away?
Old December 26th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Is cost of living really why so many move?

Most richies have a home in Hawaii because they like Hawaii, and the status element, but for the average professional it must be frustrating to impossible to make a go of it here for many reasons beyond their chosen focus. But the playing field is evening out to the negative as mainland costs and Gmt. intervention are killing businesses everywhere, and it's only getting worse. Farmers here are being priced out despite Gov. Ige's 'hopes' for self-sustainability. And of course we're still blowing it in regards to the gold mine of hemp production as Maui exits cane, not to mention med MJ and recreational opportunities. Students see the failings and still have to leave home for browner pastures just to envision a family and home ownership, and the aggravation is that it was all avoidable and forced upon us by greed and corruption.
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:59 PM
Kia`aina

I left Hawaii. Now, more than 1/2 of my life has been spent on the mainland. So not sure if I still qualify to have an opinion on this question.

I have a lot of things I know I would never have if I stayed. But when I left, it was NOT about $$$, big house, and stuff.

It was the norm to catch the bus. To work part-time at Liberty House, after our full time job.

My Dad had two jobs, my mom had three. I had two as an young adult. UH Grad, professional field. They saved up, and eventually bought a house. A apartment. It took them about 20 years of saving to be able to get a "real" house.

That was the norm. That was what I know. Life was good - by Hawaii standards. I missed it. There are times, I wish I could go back. Or wonder what my life would be like, today, in Hawaii. I still have friends and keep in contact. But I know what I "missed out" by leaving. We live life forward, so I don't regret leaving.

IMO, some people used the cost of living as an "excuse" on why they are leaving Hawaii. It makes good headline news. For the Zoo Director, that's his exit strategy. It's like when you quit your job, you would never say, the job sucks. Maybe people hate him.
Maybe he was about to be fired. You would always say you left for a "better job opportunity."
Old December 29th, 2017, 02:05 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanalane View Post
It took them about 20 years of saving to be able to get a "real" house.
Coming from the Mainland, it took my wife and me, both working part time at UH, 22 years before we could afford to buy a house. (Not complaining -- very happy to be here.)
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:41 AM
Kumu

The Washington Post has an article on why Hawaii is losing population: Why are people leaving? There are many comments at the end.
Old June 6th, 2018, 02:04 AM
Ali`i

I know several people who think they cannot afford to retire here and so are planning on leaving the islands after they retire. Sadder, I know people who are telling their kids to go to the mainland and don't come back here to live.