Ahhhh..I just gotta do it.

Hercules, winner of ancient glory
    Fighting for your right
    Fighting with his might
    With the strength of ten
    Ordinary men...
    That's the sound of HERCULES!!!
    (I missing one line)heheheh

I use to put one towel and one clothes pin to hold it on. Den I use to wait in front of the t.v. for the song to start every afternoon...and den I would be dashing and knocking everything ova!

Those were the Days of Innocence!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

HERCULES - Did it go something along this line:

Hercules, hero of song and story
      Hercules, winner of ancient glory
      Fighting for your right
      Fighting with his might
      With the strength of ten
      Ordinary men
      That's the mighty ..... Hercules.

And his sidekick, the centaur Newton. And his sworn enemy, Daedalus.

Comment

Here's a link to the show, which is formally called "The Mighty Hercules".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mighty_Hercules

Theme song lyrics link: Here

Interesting trivia about the song: Was sung by Johnny Nash who later had hits with the songs "I Can See Clearly Now" and "Stir it Up" in 1972.

Newton's friend was a non-talking creature named "Toot" I think.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yeah...das da one!!!

I go put on my towel and clothes pin....and go bonkers in my HALE!!!

To you Mr. Checkers!!

And Captain Honolulu, Lucky Luck too!

Wea's my sidekick Newton? Uhhhh...I mean Antonio?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin finally runs a story of Mr. Demarest's passing in today's edition:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/14/news/story09.html

Jim Demarest, who played Mr. Checkers on the popular local children's show "Checkers & Pogo," died Tuesday at the St. James Hospice in Chicago. He was 80.

Demarest was ill for the past six months and his condition worsened, said his oldest son, Barry Smith.

Born James Hugh Demarest-Smith of Bedford Park, Ill., Demarest played the character of Mr. Checkers from 1968 to 1979, the third and the longest actor in the role on the KGMB program.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Couple things, "The Mighty Hercules" was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid, I have many of the shows on tape. I didnt see "Checkers & Pogo" originally, but grew up with the long-running "Bozo Show" in Chicago and when I lived in Phoenix we had "Wallace & Ladmo", which I found out was an inspiration to and led to the eventual creation of the "Checkers & Pogo" show.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                Yep... seems like only Morgan White remains... from the bygone dayz.

Snoop Dog? Paris Hilton? Oh... they're not local.

I like sci-fi and some anime. "Checkers & Pogo" as well as "Captain Honolulu" were some of the first places I saw sci-fi and anime (in a later time after the original sci-fi serials were largely gone): Astro Boy, Hercules, Speed Racer, Princess Knight, The Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons, Space Ghost, Space Angel, Clutch Cargo... plus in prime time they used show Johnny Quest and of course The Flintstones and The Jetsons.... all fun stuff for me... Saturday mornings... Underdog, Fireball XL5....

And don't forget the lady on the local "Romper Room" show.... was it Robin Mann? And on KGMB in the morning there used to be "Captain Kangaroo" featuring Bob Keeshan....

Some of the old black & white serials were shown on local stations Sunday mornings. KHVH TV (later to become KITV) countered "Checkers & Pogo" programming in the afternoon with cheesy American International type sci-fi, monster and teen flick movies.
                I bought Thunderbirds and Speed Racer DVDs from eBay. When I used to live in Japan Speed Racer was known there as Maha Go Go and Princess Knight was known as Ribbon No Kishi.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Man I feel old. Lippy Espinda, Lucky Luck, Captain Honolulu, Checkers (two times over) all gone.

So who are the local idols for today's local kids now anyway?
                  Locally produced kiddie shows with a live studio audience has largely died out, not just here but on the mainland as well. Back in C&P's heyday, you didn't have all these cable channels like Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, etc.

I believe the last Hawaii kiddie show w/ a studio audience was channel 13's "Dinglestar & Calisto," which featured a couple of actresses dressed up as aliens. This was sometime in the early 1980s and it was shown on Saturday mornings. But unlike C&P, it was just once a week and there were only a handful of kids there. That show didn't last very long. I believe this was before channel 13's call-letters was changed from KIKU to KHNL.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    I believe the last Hawaii kiddie show w/ a studio audience was channel 13's "Dinglestar & Calisto," which featured a couple of actresses dressed up as aliens.
                    I seem to remember that. No, I was too old for the target audience, but I liked cartoons and the two ladies were cute, so I watched for a different reason.

As I recall, the set designer for that show went on to do some work for the Star Trek movies. He'd worked out a way to build a spaceship cheap.

Comment

Re: Checkers and Pogo

Who was Pogo's sidekick after the last Mr. Checkers left the series? My wife swears it was the Fun Factory commercial guy?

Just watched an old Checkers & Pogo show last night, cartoons included:

King Kong (Rankin Bass), Tom Slick and The Mighty Heroes...

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        Who was Pogo's sidekick after the last Mr. Checkers left the series? My wife swears it was the Fun Factory commercial guy?
                        After Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) left, Pogo Poge had no official sidekick. If you watch the C&P Remembered documentary, it pretty much states that Morgan White was left to host the show alone, although the program was still titled the "Checkers & Pogo Show." There was still the supporting cast that came in to help out, like Rob Hearn (Jake the Janitor), Fred Ball (Professor Fun), Freddie Morris and his ventriloquist dummy Alfred, and others.

Just watched an old Checkers & Pogo show last night, cartoons included:

King Kong (Rankin Bass), Tom Slick and The Mighty Heroes...
                        Sounds like the recording that was shown on YouTube earlier this year. Did you get it from that guy?
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There was a Wigmam on Dillingham too, anyone know what it occupies these days?

I saw a newspaper from 1969 the other day and saw that there were only 4 Safeway's on the island: Beretania/Manoa/Pali/Kailua.

And while looking at the newspapers and all the local ads and cheap buys out came a Checkers & Pogo autographed picture stuck between the newspaper.

KalihiBoy
                          There were 2 Wigmams in the Dillingham Shopping Center complex. What was once the Wigmam department store is now occupied by Savers and Price Busters. The Wigmam furniture store space is now Office Depot.

Comment

For anyone who cares, Fred Ball (Professor Fun) works as a messenger for the UH Cancer Research Center - still does kiddie parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              For anyone who cares, Fred Ball (Professor Fun) works as a messenger for the UH Cancer Research Center - still does kiddie parties.
                              Fred BALL was also my Speech Professor at HCC! Remember, "POW, POW, POW" where you called in to his tv show and played a "Space Invaders" type game that was used a "supposed" voice activated trigger to "shoot"? And then his signature, shaka at the end of the show while flexing his pinking signing off with "POW, POW, POW!"
                              ___
                              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Oh man Wigwam! Your dollar buys more at the Wigwam store...Wigwam! Dat da da da da...(now known as the McCully Longs Drugs)
                                My Mom shares her stories of being in the Wigwam parking lot, singing all the Doo Wop songs with her friends because the acoustics were good!?

Wigwam, then Pay 'n Save, the Pay Less, the back to Pay 'n Save and then Longs is that the correct order?
                                ___
                                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                                X