• Show
Clear All

• WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3177298

is the writing on the wall, or what?

pax

Re: *spits, cusses, ca-HACK* WWJD?

Can UH match SMU's offer?

Or will they try to appeal the former Portlander's love for the island and his college alma mater?

This may make or break Herman Frazier's career with UH.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Ah! I'm between a rock and a hard place now. Dad was an SMU man, so I'd love to see them improve their game. But in my heart, I'd rather see Jones stay here.
      Bloggin my way to the big time

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Comment

espn's boards are buzzing over this, but the one comment that made me literally lmao was
        June is God in Hawaii, he will be nothing more than a Jehovah's Witness in Texas.
        ** http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3177298

**no offense to the JW faithful.

pax

Comment

Football God, yeah.

Lono, no.

Comment

If UH can give JJ a better training facility ... even fix up little things like the shower room ... I think he'd be willing to say "no thanks" to SMU.

Comment

you are on to it.

If there was anything that the fb squad (inc coaches) has been vocal about, is their appeal to upgrade facilities and recruiting budget. If I worked in that office, I would be spending this holiday running a spreadsheet and passing that sucka around all those hgea listservs, so that it finds its way into the legislature, and the newspapers, and prove to the state what kind of economic (and morale!) benefit our uh fb program provides.

If there was a website to donate directly for these two causes, I would paypal over $100 at this minute.

</big mofo hint>

pax

Comment

Consider the SMU offer the shot across the bow that UH needs.

JJ will say 'no' on this one, as he should, but who will come calling next? And there will be a 'next' for those who chose to keep their heads in the sand.

$50,000 a year recruiting budget?? Please....... that is a long weekend for Notre Dame or USC. Boosters, step up.

WAC to Conference USA is a push. WAC to BCS conference school? That will get the gears turning in June's head for sure.
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Personally, I like WAC to do better than those BCS conference programs, just to slap them in their places.

Comment

If he leaves, that would suck for Hawaii. Available coaches who would be willing to coach here are slim pickin's.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

UH to SMU is either a push or a step down. SMU has something of a storied history but hasn't been much for quite some time. I think UH gets the edge because when you coach there, you get to live in Hawaii.

But Jones has taken steps down before. Don't forget he was the active head coach of the San Diego Chargers before he came here. But leaving San Diego to come to Hawaii and leaving Hawaii to go to SMU are two completely different stories. I'm with nachodaddy on this one. This offer is nothing to be concerned about; it's the next few that should be interesting.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Southern Meth used to have a great football team; back when Olivia Newton-John was all the rage starring in that epic flick Xanadu.

I'm still peeeeesed.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          But Jones has taken steps down before. Don't forget he was the active head coach of the San Diego Chargers before he came here. But leaving San Diego to come to Hawaii and leaving Hawaii to go to SMU are two completely different stories. I'm with nachodaddy on this one. This offer is nothing to be concerned about; it's the next few that should be interesting.
                          You mean like what Neil Everett said on KGMB9 6pm News? The only offer he may consider must have the word "NFL" attached to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            If UH can give JJ a better training facility ... even fix up little things like the shower room ... I think he'd be willing to say "no thanks" to SMU.
                            I'm really surprised that the UH boosters haven't made a plea to the public for donations. They could easily raise 1M dollars if they had a television fundraiser or some other kind of fundraiser and publicized it as "save June Jones!"

Wasn't SMU the college at the top of the world of college football in the late 80's that got caught in a really bad recruiting scandal including the paying of players?

The Southern Methodist University football program, the most punished in NCAA history, received the harshest sanctions ever – including suspension for the 1987 season – when the NCAA announced its precedent-setting decision Wednesday...

In addition to a ban on games, practice and scholarships for the 1987-88 academic year, the National Collegiate Athletic Association restricted SMU to seven games in 1988 – none of which may be considered a "home" game – and limited its scholarships, coaching positions and television and post-season appearances through the length of the probation, which expires Sept. 1, 1990...

The Committee on Infractions report uncovered "stipulated" violations that 13 football players were paid approximately $47,000 during the 1985-86 academic year and that eight student-athletes continued to receive payments from September to December 1986 of about $14,000.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...tball/smu.html
                            Does June Jones really want to be associated with that kind of program?
                            Last edited by Kittrick; January 2, 2008, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                              Wasn't SMU the college at the top of the world of college football in the late 80's that got caught in a really bad recruiting scandal including the paying of players? Does June Jones really want to be associated with that kind of program?
                              22 years ago is pretty much in the category of "ancient history." Ya think?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X