• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for lunch today?

Plate lunch from U Choice Drive In.

Comment

Mmm! A mochiko chicken mini plate from "Family BBQ," a relatively new Korean plate lunch place at the Airport Trade Center. Chicken, rice, and two veggies (I picked shoyu potatoes and basic corn) for $4.50 plus tax. I'll go back to my $2 lunches at Wendy's tomorrow.

Comment

Had the OnOn Monday special...1/2 duck won ton mein. Never make it there on a Monday so today was a treat. My hubby had bitter melon with chow fun noodles, they did the bitter melon just right...not over cooked. Onolicious food at OnOn Chinese restaurant
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Made some home made loco mocos today. Just picked up some fresh ground beef at the local safeway. Pureed some fresh onions and garlic, mixed it into the ground beef mixture and grilled the beef patties over my gas grill.

Fried up an egg, mixed up one of those packet gravy mixes, and assembled my home made loco moco. Gooooood stuff!

Comment

Rice, too? Or was that a "low carb" moco?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Rice, too? Or was that a "low carb" moco?
              Whoops..yeah, definately the sticky white rice..forgot that one..
              The fresh onions and garlic really add a nice flavor to the ground beef...

Comment

Gosh...808's description of having homemade loco-moco made my mouth water.
                Two times on the mainland my hubby, brother and I ordered loco-moco from an L&L in N. CA. Both times they "broke" the yoke so it wasn't like the style they serve here. The yoke didn't run when broken! The second time it happened my brother asked how come..."that's just how we do it" was the reply!
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Sassy Cassy lunch wagon in Campbell Industrial park next to the Aloha Petroleum terminal. Order the "Broke da mouth" teri plate with all the grizzle and mac salad and the pickled onions.

That's their signature plate lunch and it is really good stuff.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A simple teriyaki burger and thick fries from "The Gazeebo," the restaurant inside Macy's downtown, along with a bottle of one of those newfangled "low carb" colas -- Coke C2 -- because they didn't have Diet Coke.

And I can't believe I'm forcing myself to drink Diet Coke. Damn looming 30th birthday...

Comment

Plate lunch from U-Choice Drive In, with Diet Pepsi.

Comment

I had a korean lunch. It was great.

Comment

A couple of Jumbo Jacks and a Diet Coke from Jack-in-the-Box.

Comment

I don't get it, major cholesterol lunch and a diet soda?

I'd rather go light on lunch and heavy on the drink. Your body can assimilate sugar easier than cholesterol or artifical sweeteners unless you're diabetic, but then if that were the case you wouldn't be eating those kinds of lunches anyway.

I'm not chastising those who use that combination but I feel if you're going all the way when it comes to eating what you want, then go for it man!

Diet soda's do more harm to the body than the high-octane soda's (all sugar). But to drink a diet soda while eating the fat off the Kalbi is like saying I fear nothing but just in case better lock the doors anyway.

Some people strip the fat off their bacon eating only the morsels of real meat. Others take the skin off the chicken. But you never see someone separate the fat from the char siu in Manapua! Or boil their steak to remove any trace of fat off the cut of beef.

But here's a great observation. I joke with my friend who is weighing in at just under 400 lbs. He's been drinking Diet Coke for over 4-years now and he's gaining weight. I see more overweight people drinking diet soda's and not losing the weight because they wash down their supersized extra value meal with it expecting to lose something.

I got news for those of you, It ain't working!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hi Craig,

excellent, thought-provoking post of yours! I really do get your point you are making so clearly about the high-caloric meal with diet soda, and too many people do eat too many calories, then drink the diet soda. Since we're all so individual, surely some are just like your friend, while others are as I admit I have been before, and this is that I know I am eating too many calories in the meal, and grab that diet soda as to not have a single calorie more. I haven't done this in quite a long time, though. I am not allowing myself more than 1400 calories anymore, as I know long-range, I will lose the 20lbs. I am determined to lose, and at 47, I best DO this before my metabolism slows anymore.

I also have grabbed the diet soda since I know it won't encourage tooth decay, and it even helps wash the food off of my teeth, and I like this when I am where I can't brush for several hours, and know it.

From what I read, Splenda is easier for our bodies to assimilate than that Equal junk, the stuff the major soda companies, and food companies have embraced so widely. THAT stuff, I read long ago, even has a tad of grain alcohol in it, and that stuff is nothing but bad for us, but in hot drinks, the alcohol is released from the protein it is bound to, IF...I recall correctly. Anyway, I don't buy diet sodas for the home, as they're just too habit-forming, and I also watch calories now.

Ate at Ruby Tuesday's just Saturday, and will go back, but I was sure glad they put all of their foods' calories online, and I was shocked at their burgers, of which they have a great assortment! they are from approx...800 to 1677 calories. YIKES...but they have enough foods that near or barely under 500 cals, so I did well with a filling salad, plenty of chicken on it.

With a high-fat meal, people would do well to drink wine, or have a salad with plenty of vinegar, something to help keep the blood from wanting to clot. I will never get out of my mind reading about a man that had a major heart attack and he said he can't forget how many pieces of pizza he had eaten just a couple of hours before the heart attack. It isn't cholesterol that concerns me, but pure FAT content of foods, and how on earth people can not be concerned about their blood thickening-up.

Least I ramble you to sleep, that's all my thoughts for now, and thanks for your post.
                              Last edited by Karen; August 16, 2004, 09:38 AM.
                              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

"I'd rather go light on lunch and heavy on the drink."

Oh, me too, especially if it's Bloody Marys (well, you do get to munch on a stalk of celery).

Comment

Working...
                                X