Swine Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swine Flu

bcs i'm home with sick (per my MD, it started off viral, then i caught a bacterial respiratory infection. there's a little bit of fluid in my lungs but it's not to the point where i have pneumonia, thank goodness!), i thot i'd bump this thread: we're up to 44 confirmed cases. lots of good information on that link, btw, including hints on how to stop spreading cooties at work.

now pardon me while i go blow some more snot into tissue, rub some lotion on my red & flaky nose, and wash my hands for the umpteenth time. *misery*
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I've been sick too...the Flu. Not the Swine. Still I'm SICK.

And it's kicking my okole.

Chills, headaches, bodyaches, etc. Fever so high I see and hear tings. Wat's new? Moa elaborate...moa technicolor. Just like da movies. PK is da best husband. So patient and caring. Me bitxhing and screaming in pain and he taking care of me with love and kindness.

I can barely walk. My lower back hurts too.

K=den. TTYL

I'm crawling back to my bedroom.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

OH, no Auntie!! Lots of fluid and rest, no try to get up and do stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          OH, no Auntie!! Lots of fluid and rest, no try to get up and do stuffs.
          I'm bored.

It's early morn and no moa nuttin to do. Quiet. Only the three legged doberman at Golden Coin barking at da wind. I'm sad cause I won't be going to my daughter's and son-in-law's wedding re-newel this morning.

Everything has no taste but I take it. *yuk*

Da Flu is the pits. Swine or Regular go away.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

That's good advice above. Plenty of liquid. A few paracetamol and be kind to yourself. I'd say to put your feet up and take things really easy. You can fight against a cold but its sounds as if you have a virus. So Auntie Lynn, just Give in. It has to take it's course.
            Hope you are feeling better soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
              That's good advice above. Plenty of liquid. A few paracetamol and be kind to yourself.
              Hey! Barry!! Mahalo foa da new word you made me google!
              "Paracetamol, known as acetaminophen in the United States, is a painkiller that is popular throughout the world because it is remarkably safe and it does not irritate the stomach."
              http://www.assistpainrelief.com/info/paracetamol/

My fever broke. (Applause) But I still can't go to the festivities this morning. I'm still contagious.

I'll continue with Rest, Liquids and SciFi Chanel!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Well, hold on to your butts. Looks like there isn’t going to be a “summer drop-off” for this disease. Incidentally, I’ve had the flu twice in the last month. Many more than usual of my co-workers have called in sick during that same period with — you guessed it — the flu. Glad I bought my masks... now if I can just find a store that still has hand sanitizer.

W.H.O. Raises Alert Level as Flu Spreads to 74 Countries

By NICK CUMMING-BRUCE and ANDREW JACOBS
                Published: June 11, 2009

GENEVA — The World Health Organization has told its member nations it is declaring a swine flu pandemic — the first global flu epidemic in 41 years, news services reported.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  Glad I bought my masks... now if I can just find a store that still has hand sanitizer.
                  i'm never happy to hear someone's been sick, so i hope you and your coworkers are better now and stay well.

i've explained before about masks and how they're essentially useless in preventing the wearer from getting sick. they're better for helping the wearer not get others sick. most non-healthcare workers don't wear regular store-bought masks correctly and the ones that have any efficacy are the ones requiring fit-testing.

as for hand sanitizer--if you have plain old rubbing alcohol, you have hand sanitizer. washing while rubbing the soap in vigorously in between the digits, under the nails, in the palms and the backs of hands for thirty seconds or more is more effective.

frequently wipe down commonly used surfaces with antibacterials if someone in the household or office is sick.

eat healthily and get as much sleep as you need. stay home if you're sick.

that sort of thing. h1n1 is no more deadly--in fact, it's less deadly, if i remember correctly--than the normal flu, and it's completely treatable if caught in time and you're otherwise a healthy person.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Swine flu death in Hawaii

So I'm gonna be a pain in the butt and bring out this old thread, yet again...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ighlight=preps
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hawaii's first swine flu fatality

Story posted this afternoon on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin’s website:

An Oahu woman in her late 60s is Hawaii’s first fatality linked to swine flu, state health officials confirmed today.
                      The woman died on June 19 at Tripler Army Medical Center, Department of Health officials said.
                      The H1N1 influenza infection, or swine flu, “likely contributed to underlying medical conditions that caused the death,” health officials said in a news release.

Full Story: Oahu woman confirmed as Hawaii's first swine flu fatality
                      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

• Re: Swine Flu

There is also a report of the first case of drug resistant swine flu in Denmark. I guess it's not surprising that the flu would eventually become resistant to the most popular drug(s) used to treat it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...jbbTQD994HT3O0

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090629/...flu_resistance

Comment

I listened to a speech at UH given by an outbreak expert. He's not terribly concerned about the Swine Flu. He says most of the deaths occured in people who had other serious complications.

There are roughly two kinds of flu. The common one which tends to kill kids, elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. The other kind (like the Spanish Flu) leaves those people alone and kills healthy adults, because it causes their working immune systems to over react.

So he's not concerned by Swine Flu, but there is always the danger of a mutation which combines the worst of both worlds. He says if something like that happens, what the government will do is force everyone to stay home. This means is you need enough supplies to live off of for a few weeks, because you won't be allowed to go shopping.

Currently he's more worried about MRSA than Swine Flu. Even the plague ranks higher on his worry list, though luckily it's not an issue in Hawaii.
                          Last edited by MyopicJoe; June 29, 2009, 09:22 PM.
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                            ...but there is always the danger of a mutation which combines the worst of both worlds. He says if something like that happens, what the government will do is force everyone to stay home. This means is you need enough supplies to live off of for a few weeks, because you won't be allowed to go shopping.
                            exactly...
                            http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ighlight=preps
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Per a family member in the world of academia:

Do you know the difference between bird flu and swine flu?

For bird flu you need tweetment.

For swine flu you need oinkment.

BBFN!

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                                Per a family member in the world of academia:

Do you know the difference between bird flu and swine flu?

For bird flu you need tweetment.

For swine flu you need oinkment.

BBFN!
                                LOL! Haha, good one!
                                To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Working...
                                X