X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad day on the sandbar

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Taken about an hour ago.
    Oooh, that doesn't look good at all. And it looks like you took that photo at almost the peak of low tide, so that's when we should've seen the most of the boat above water (assuming that it's sitting on sand, which it must be). Yikes!
    Thanks for the photos and the updates, GG!

By the way, I mentioned earlier about e-mails I was getting. One high-powered media person wrote "This guy is a menace. We have observed his abhorrent behavior many times. The Coast Guard should seize his boat."
    Another comment came from an extremely wealthy person in the high tech industry who is also an extremely experienced sailor, who wrote "Aquadelica is our former dock neighbor who would often drunkenly crash-land, requiring all kinds of help... Hope no fuel leakage or other environmental damage occurred, but if so, he deserves to have the book thrown at him.
    Schadenfreude, oh schadenfreude... That's what I call an environmental impact! Life will be a lot better without him and his crew."

Now you all know why I wrote yesterday that almost all the sandbar regulars would be cheering.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      Eddie would go, but he should have stayed
      Tim, this is very important: Did you come up with this, or are you quoting someone else? I'm asking because I'm about to make it my motto, and I want to make sure I cite the proper coiner of the phrase, if the coiner is known. I think this is one of the greatest things I've read in ages.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Okay, it's up on on KGMB's website now at this link . That has a 20-second video and just a couple of paragraphs. The story leaves more questions UNanswered, particularly in having no mention of a containment boom.

Comment

This is an interesting ongoing thread which gives landlubbers like me some knowledge about what goes on inside the boating community. Through all the posts though, I can't seem to keep the possibility that this will trigger some kind of legislation again on a possible ban on recreational use of the sandbar in Kaneohe. I hope I am wrong for the boating community's sake.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Just gonna throw the link for the Hawaii Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation in the thread for anyone who might be curious like I was.

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/dbor.htm

and this:

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/s...ws/Hawaii.html
            Last edited by Peshkwe; January 11, 2009, 02:16 PM. Reason: added another link

Comment

Right on, Tim!

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              Reminds me of a time in Honokohau, in Kona, when the harbor master hassled me cuz my sailboat had no motor on it for about 4 months. He said I have to have a motor to keep my slip. I said "It's got a motor. We call it wind and sails."
              He said I would have to motor out, round the green buoy, and back to my slip.
              So I raised the main, quietly sailed down the channel, out to the buoy, around, and back down the channel. The wind was light, and from a perfect direction. I rounded up, backed the main, and slowly reversed the sailboat into a perfect glass slipper landing, while tying the bow, and the stern.
              I bowed deeply, in a very exagerated manner, and doffed my cap, in all directions, to an imaginary throng surrounding me. He was supermad. But what could he say?
              This is one of the best things I've ever read on this forum.
              And Tim's 'Eddie quote' was said and thot by many when the sad news was announced that week. It's probably true, but only those there that day know the full circumstances behind the decision.

Concerning the long standing bad behaviour by the boater, he should have been ratted to the Coast Guard long ago, often, and by many. His kind have no place on the water.
              Same thing with all these jet skiers that go full throttle inside reefs and bouys all around our islands.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Tim, this is very important: Did you come up with this, or are you quoting someone else? I'm asking because I'm about to make it my motto, and I want to make sure I cite the proper coiner of the phrase, if the coiner is known. I think this is one of the greatest things I've read in ages.
                Google didn't turn up any examples of Tim's exact phrase "Eddie would go, but he should have stayed", but it did find this quote from Norman Piʻianaiʻa, one of Eddie's fellow sailors on Hōkūleʻa. Like Ron said, many people did have that same thought at the time.

"I don't remember what I said, but I didn't think Eddie should have gone; everyone should have stayed together. I'm sure we could have lasted a few more days, but who knows?"
                (From Eddie Would Go: The Story of Eddie Aikau, Hawaiian Hero and Pioneer of Big Wave Surfing)

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  I can't seem to keep the possibility that this will trigger some kind of legislation again on a possible ban on recreational use of the sandbar in Kaneohe.
                  As I said before, I see nothing about this incident that would cause that. When that legislation came up a couple of years ago, it was because of massive out-of-control parties on the sandbar involving hundreds of people drinking and a few fights (the main one of which turned out to be off-duty cops).
                  Yesterday's incident was just one boat that had a mechanical/structural problem. Why would that prompt new legislation?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                  Concerning the long standing bad behaviour by the boater, he should have been ratted to the Coast Guard long ago, often, and by many.
                  He may well have been. But unless the CG or DLNR personally witness violations, there isn't anything they can do. The CG is usually offshore, not in a bay; and DLNR only has a total of three people to cover the entire windward coast from Waimanalo to Kahuku, and those three have to cover both water activities and hiking trails and rescues! Three people! RIDICULOUS!!!

His kind have no place on the water. Same thing with all these jet skiers that go full throttle inside reefs and bouys all around our islands.
                  Amen. Here's a photo of one jet ski who blasted between me and my boat (the one behind him, with the blue canvas bimini top) at the sandbar. He was in about 1' of water, and there were other people and kids in the area:

Comment

Normally I try to not include Aquadelica in my sandbar photos and I try to anchor a long way away from them and from the rowdy crowds, but I mentioned in my first post in this thread that I might have photos of Aquadelica squeezing into other boats territory at the sandbar. Well, I found this photo from last Memorial Day, taken as I was passing by while he trying to shoehorn into a tiny spot:

Comment

Lika - what a nice looking boat! I bet you have lots of fun out there!
                      Boo! on that jet skier! Hope you are having a nice weekend!

Comment

Glen, I just typed that off the cuff. Have fun with it.

It's what I said about if a boat sinks, stay with the wreckage flotsam.
                        It's an old bit of maritime wisdom from time immemorial.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          With all due respect, just because someone may be smart in business has no correlation with their being smart at sea.
                          In one rescue case, I saved the hand of a person who had done something extremely stupid on a boat. He was a Superior Court Judge. Presumably bright in the courtroom. At sea? Not so bright.
                          And in any case, I have not said that Lorenz Sell is the "idiot" discussed earlier. Not enough information yet. See my earlier post today.
                          Eh, you and I posted a minute apart and I'd already wandered off to other things.

I'm more familiar with submarine nuclear propulsion but I had my days of sail. I'm also familiar with "born stupid" and "temporarily rendered stupid".

My point is that Sell's reputation is an aggregation of different activities & contexts, as well as different crowds of people, and right now he's busy raising money for his "ILovePhotos" startup. He probably has other projects cooking too. Acting like a waterborne jerk may be something his publicist would advise against, and if he was the guy behaving in the manner you describe then it'd certainly affect my opinion of his leadership of any project he was involved with... afloat or ashore. So I'm just collecting investment-research data. If he's not the jerk then so much the better. If he is the jerk, well, then it looks like the media is hot on the trail. Should be interesting. Thanks for bringing our attention to the story.

Last year another local startup hired a recently retired officer to run their manufacturing operations. What the company's board of directors hadn't realized was that the guy had been fired from command due to major safety violations, crewmembers falsifying logs, and his more or less being a jerk. It might have affected the hiring decision if it had come to light sooner. Seems to be working out OK so far but I'm skeptical.
                          Last edited by Nords; January 11, 2009, 03:59 PM.
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Update as of a little before 5PM. They've got it level, now they just need to wait for the inside to dry out.

It's hard to see, even with the binoculars, but I think there's a bag at the back holding it up. I've seen some red around it, so there may be a containment boom.

As for the reputation of the guy involved, I'm sure it depends on if you're a part of his party or not.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Karma rocks!

I came here to say that!

and after the twittering and vids, this guy seems like a Class A Douche bag.
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                photos of Aquadelica squeezing into other boats territory at the sandbar. Well, I found this photo from last Memorial Day,
                                It sure doesn't look like Memorial Day here at the old folks home!
                                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                                X