What Are the Coolest Movie Weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are the Coolest Movie Weapons?

I heard Steve Uyehara and Grace Lee talking about the coolest movie weapons, which immediately took me off task and kept me blissfully distracted for forty-five minutes.

Here's my list in ascending order, with some comments:

10. KAOS's Nude Bomb
    From The Nude Bomb, the Maxwell Smart movie. The idea was that this bomb would disintegrate only clothing, and KAOS would then have a corner on the clothing market. Brilliant! And funny! But an awful film.

9. Harry Potter's wand
    Harry's wand would be higher on this list if it looked anything like the way it's supposed to look as described in the novel, but that's okay. Did you know Harry's wand contains the tailfeather of a phoenix?

8. Bruce Lee's hands and feet

Were I more objective, I think this would be number 1.

7. Go-Go Yubari's meteor hammer
    I really wanted to include The Bride's sword in the Kill Bill films, but pzarquon convinced me that it was lame to have two weapons from the same film in one top-ten list. I'm going with Go-Go's meteor hammer because it's unique, it's kinda scary, and the way Go-Go wields it is downright sexy. Yes, The Bride is pretty sexy with her own sword, but she's not even as sexy as O-Ren Ishii with hers (remember her out in the snow like that?), so meteor hammer it is.

6. Wolverine's adamantium blades
    Downright heart-stopping, especially with the accompanying sound effects. Isn't that a great scene in X3 when the kitty cat licks the blades?

5. Johnny Rambo's M60

4. Jason Voorhees's chainsaw

3. Dirty Harry Callahan's Smith & Wesson .44 magnum

2. Darth Maul's light-sabre bo staff
    Again, it would have been nice if Darth Maul could have been a worthier foe, but you had to admit this was a cool weapon, and it did take two Jedis to take him down!

1. Indiana Jones's whip
    How could there be anything else atop this list?

Okay. there's mine. What are yours?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: What Are the Coolest Movie Weapons?

Well I kinda liked Transformers, especially when that car transformed from that classic beater into that modern retro Camaro. Now that was cool.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 14, 2008, 09:21 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I like the ZF-1 gun that Zorg (Gary Oldman!) shows off in "The Fifth Element." Here's the relevant scene from the movie.

Comment

Alrighty, I've only got three at the moment. At the current listing, it's a toss up who gets first, smart gun or disc. Filament, while cool, sucks in comparison to those two. :P

M56 Smart Gun - Auto-tracking, rapid fire... what's not to love? It was either this or the all-purpose M41A Pulse Rifle.

TRON Data Disc - Lethal frisbees? Yes, please.

Laser filament from the movie Johnny Mnemonic - The movie had very little going for it (no fault on the part of William Gibson). The laser filament was the shame-turned-weapon of the main antagonist, whose thumb was cut-off for failing some past assignment. It was mainly used as a whip.
        Last edited by DaFerret; January 24, 2008, 10:40 AM. Reason: Added two new weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
          M56 Smart Gun - Either that or the M41A Pulse Rifle.
          That is so friggin amazing that there is actually technical information on a Hollywood prop! I was looking at a book my kids have on some of the weaponry from Star Wars. One was some form of a grenade. I immediately recognized it as a pressure relief valve we used on the LPG cylinders used on forklifts as well as small propane dispensers. I guess it looked cool enough to look like some kind of detonator.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 14, 2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Not in any order other than popping into my mind:

Jesse Ventura's gatling gun in Predator.
            Sean Connery's thumb in The Presidio.
            James Bond's key ring in The Living Daylights.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              That is so friggin amazing that there is actually technical information on a Hollywood prop! I was looking at a book my kids have on some of the weaponry from Star Wars. One was some form of a grenade. I immediately recognized it as a pressure relief valve we used on the LPG cylinders used on forklifts as well as small propane dispensers. I guess it looked cool enough to look like some kind of detonator.
              A friend of mine made a halo costume for this past Halloween. While he was doing the research for the armor and weapons, he stumbled across a laser level alignment tool that was converted into a plasma grenade prop that lit up like the weapon in the game would (of course, no boom). Crazy stuff.

And he provides! Here's what the prop looked like. The tool is the Zircon Laserball I believe.
              Last edited by DaFerret; January 24, 2008, 10:55 AM. Reason: Added link to photos.

Comment

this is such a cool discussion topic! but aaagh! i'm not geeky enough, nor am i substantially versed in movies, to answer this one!

*cries & turns in her geek card*
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I always thought that the "Rail Gun" in the Arnold Schwarzenegger's movie "Eraser" was the coolest movie weapon ... simply because it's based on facts. It could exist.

Here are a couple of links: a Roger Ebert review; a military forum.

Comment

Way back when, there was a movie called Runaway. It starred Tom Selleck as the good guy, and Gene Simmons as the bad guy.

Gene Simmon's character had a gun that fired bullets with DNA tracer rounds.....meaning the bullets chased the person that it was programmed to kill. There were great shots of people diving behind obsticles, only to have the bullet make right and left turns to kill them.

Another cool weapon from that movie were little robotic spiders that jumped on your head, then stuck a needle in your brain and injected acid.

I think I need to watch this movie again LOL

DD
                    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                      I always thought that the "Rail Gun" in the Arnold Schwarzenegger's movie "Eraser" was the coolest movie weapon ... simply because it's based on facts. It could exist.

Here are a couple of links: a Roger Ebert review; a military forum.

Well Star Trek had the Communicator, now days we call it the RAZr

Comment

The lightsabers in the early Star Wars films were made using the handles of the flashbulb attachments for SpeedGraphic press cameras (http://www.clickondavid.com/graflex.html).

A lot of people nowadays buy those handles (when they can find them) to make their own lightsabers, so it's getting harder and harder to obtain them. I bought one off of ebay a number of years ago, so I'd have one when I can actually afford to buy a SpeedGraphic. It's stashed away in a box somewhere.

Comment

Remember this guy's broadsword in the original "Highlander"? There's a cool scene of him assembling it from its multiple components.
                          http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...6safe%3Dactive

For me another's got to be the feral kid in "Road Warrior" with the boomerang.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Plans-37775.jpg
                          Last edited by sinjin; January 25, 2008, 07:24 AM.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I prefer weapons that are slightly more obtainable.

About $11K, nicely equipped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYP66vsyGQ

http://www.barrettrifles.com/
                            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

i didn't see it but it's likely that the newscasters got their idea from this story?

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/200...e_weapons.html

what's interesting is that there's a long list of comments/suggestions following the "official list".

great question to ponder!
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                              X