This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

Maybe we should post a poll and see who do you blame more for JJ's apparent resignation (it's not official at the time of this posting).
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      getting personal for a minute:

I am a pop warner football mom; the Boy has played tackle fb for three years. Our club has 100ish athletes and about a solid half of them are free/reduced lunch kids. Even so, we managed to raise the funds and get to HNL every year for the last three years to watch a game at the Aloha Stadium. It meant *everything* to those boys (and their daddies, mammas, and guardians). When you are talking these many people scraping it and planning for it, and bracing for the logistical nightmare that is Puppy Warner management, all for the sake of seeing the glory of college football in action and the stoking of those dreams that this young man could one day get there, it is a feeling unlike any other.

There are several in our club committed to doing the PPV thing and following our Warriors, if only to invite over the kids and their teammates and soak it all in.

And when that book came out this past year, how many of these boys could relate to the stories of those PagoPago boys brushing their teeth with soap and dreaming of getting off their rock and playing fb.

Maybe we don't put out press releases when neighbor island families do what they have to in order to get to a UH football game, but our experiences are nevertheless real.

Coach Jones, you are going to miss us. Yes, the System™ sucks in a myriad of ways. But will you find the same diamonds in the rough, the same athletes who trust in you so intently like your Poly-dominated team in Hawaii does? Mahalo nui for these last nine years.

If I had my way, he would go to the BOR and ask for the AD job.
      Yes he will. Texas is a hotbed for football talent.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Does anyone beside myself feel that if June Jones leaves, you feel abandoned? We were only going up, up ,up, and now we're heading back down. Down. Down. ??

Of course, "nobody is indispensable".
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          Yes he will. Texas is a hotbed for football talent.
          no doubt. But he is headed to a fixer-upper in a trendy location. Lotsa schools in TX to hoe that hotbed.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Does anyone beside myself feel that if June Jones leaves, you feel abandoned? We were only going up, up ,up, and now we're heading back down. Down. Down. ??

Of course, "nobody is indispensable".
            Yeah, but it's kinda like "I blame my mom for dad leaving us" rationale for sense of abandonment.
            Last edited by Random; January 5, 2008, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              no doubt. But he is headed to a fixer-upper in a trendy location. Lotsa schools in TX to hoe that hotbed.
              I've no doubt that if anyone can resurrect SMU to its glorydays, June Jones is just as good a candidate as anyone else. But what JJ did at UH was much more than merely turning around a football team that was down on its luck.

In this state, he was truly elevated to a level of adoration that few football coaches experience. And he was given carte blanche to dramatically shape the team in his image. Let's not forget the changeover in nickname, logo, and team colors. Not to mention even changing the music that was heard in the stadium when the team took the field. We Hawaii fans went along with all those changes because we believed in what JJ was doing. I hope the man realizes that this kind of power to change longtime traditions is not an option at every place. I don't care if he goes to Michigan and leads them to a national title in his first season. UM alumni would absolutely NOT let him change the team colors or the helmet design. Ever. And ask any Michigan fan if I'm wrong on that point.

So good luck, JJ. Thanks for the wonderful ride that you have given us for the last 9 seasons. But remember that for whatever reasons you are leaving us, there are some things Hawaii has to offer that you'll never find anywhere else.

Aloha.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 5, 2008, 10:36 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                They still have that on campus? I thought you need a student ID these days.
                I remember they did this once during the Jones era. It was back in 1999. Ironically, if I remember correctly, it was on the property of UH Lab School. Sadly, those days are gone. I blame Frazier. But like some here, I blame the BOR more, for making promises to Jones that they could not deliver on. Surely if the state has hundreds of million$ to throw at a new West-O‘ahu campus, it could have come up with the small amount of money that would have addressed most of Jones’ 19 recommendations for improvement.

I think most of the educated public realizes Hawai‘i cannot sustain a brand new baccalaureate degree campus in the middle of Kapolei. But surely, it could have done things like fix or replace UH Mānoa’s aging infrastructure on upper campus. And surely it could have finished facilities on lower campus that would not just benefit football, but other sports as well. It’s all about priorities. It’s not just athletics that are neglected at UH. UH Mānoa isn’t a priority at UH. Sad.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  I think most of the educated public realizes Hawai‘i cannot sustain a brand new baccalaureate degree campus in the middle of Kapolei.
                  Not only can it, but I believe it must.

It’s not just athletics that are neglected at UH. UH Mānoa isn’t a priority at UH. Sad.
                  Oh, don't even. I graduated from UH-Hilo and while I didn't very often feel it, there was a constant sense of step-child syndrome there.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think most of the educated public realizes Hawai‘i cannot sustain a brand new baccalaureate degree campus in the middle of Kapolei.
                    Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Not only can it, but I believe it must.
                    Poppycock. Hawai‘i’s economy is peaking right now. But the slowing growth rate and slumping real estate market are key indicators. If we don’t have the money now, what makes you think we’ll have it then?
                    It’s not just athletics that are neglected at UH. UH Mānoa isn’t a priority at UH. Sad.
                    Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Oh, don't even. I graduated from UH-Hilo and while I didn't very often feel it, there was a constant sense of step-child syndrome there.
                    Thank you for making my point. If the state can’t even bring UH-Hilo up to par, how in the heck will do that plus UH Mānoa, plus a brand new 4-year campus?
                    Last edited by TuNnL; January 5, 2008, 11:56 PM. Reason: accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

• Re: WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

ANY successful football program brings with it money, attention, and nothing but the good stuff. This is true at the high school or college level. Take a look around the nation and you will find that most, if not all of the great football HS's and Colleges have very impressive academic records. Football is a cash cow on a major scale more than any other source. Period. So for all you liberal academicians who believe that a "good" football program is optional, you are probably a mediocre teacher at best. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity, and soon it becomes a mantra.

The facilities at UH need a hot cash injection.
                      Frazier is a full blown zero.
                      Polynesian Paralysis is NOT a virtue. Kamehameha (were he in charge) would hate that phrase.
                      Jones can do whatever he wants. He is a good coach. Wish him the best no matter what he does.
                      Hawaii can be a #1 national powerhouse for several reasons: Hawaii is a nice place to live, Greater Polynesia offers up lots of "material" to work with, Visiting teams players love to come here to play (its Hawaii, remember) even though their coaches and admin's loathe the cost and time commitment, the black community know's that racism in Hawaii is not directed at them, and that the acceptance level here is very high for those players. (somebody had to say it)

I am available for the position of Head Football Coach at University of Hawaii. I will send my resume, forthwith, to Mr. Frazier.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        The facilities at UH need a hot cash injection.
                        Frazier is a full blown zero.

I am available for the position of Head Football Coach at University of Hawaii. I will send my resume, forthwith, to Mr. Frazier.
                        HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Too funny Tim.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I still don't buy this "19 reasons". Most of us can easily come up with 19 reasons or more to quit our jobs, while most of us get paid a small fraction of his current 800K salary.

Whah, whah, whah.

Let's have fun (although it's not fun) with this.

Top 19 reasons to quit coaching the UH Football program:

19) We lost the Sugar Bowl
                          18) If Colt, Devon and Ryan is leaving, I'm too
                          17) I'm tired of SPAM Musubi, time for some Texas steaks!
                          16) I'm tired of this "system"
                          15) Our bathrooms don't even have soap!
                          14) I'm reaching retirement age, and 800K+bonuses and benefits (like Aloha spirit and living in Hawaii) isn't enough of a nest egg for me. I deserve more. Way more.
                          13)
                          12)
                          11)
                          10)
                          9)
                          8)
                          7)
                          6)
                          5)
                          4)
                          3)
                          2)
                          1) Herman Frazier
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

13) My office carpet smells worse than the Ewa side of Ward Theatres.

Comment

12) They make the freeway pillars too big in Hawaii.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I really did not want to interject or add anything to this part of the saga. I am a third party, I can't feel your pain that you all are feeling. I am merely a football fan and as a fan, this sucks. What I can say is that we are in the post mortem phase. This thing is done, period. Not on life support, done.

Now the posturing, damage control, and spin begin. We are basing a lot of our positions on a 'letter' whose contents are being revealed to us by the media. In a controlled manner. Which is what media does. I, for one, ain't gonna base $hit, until that letter is revealed in it's entirety. Many posts prior, I stated that JJ would be crazy to take the SMU job, that Conference USA is not a step up from the WAC, that JJ should wait for the next offer. There is a lot of information that WE don't have access to. Steinberg is no dummy. We have to let this play out a bit.

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                                Mediocrity breeds mediocrity, and soon it becomes a mantra.
                                I know what Tim is trying to say here, in Tim's own special way. 'Let Hawaii be Hawaii' has just crashed headfirst into EVERYONE wanting to see UH's football program VALIDATE themselves on a national level. Look at all the chest thumping that occurred leading up to the Georgia game. I stress, EVERYONE.

Validity, like mediocrity, is a relative term. You can slice and dice both of them up any which way you want to. We can safely say, at this juncture, that one of the biggest issues we have right now, at JJ's wake, is what constitutes a valid UH football program. What I can also say, is if Georgia lost the game, and JJ signed up for another 10 years, is we would not be having this discussion. Everyone's idea of validity would have been satisfied.

Sorry Scriv, the UH football progam transcends education. That should be no surprise here. The guy driving the truck for a living or hawking snorkel tours has something in common with the person who just finishing up their master's program. People, it is all you got that allows EVERYONE to be on the same page. The UH football program transcends socio-economics, education level, ancestry, color of skin, what island you live on, where you were born, etc.... It isn't like you can run up the road and root for another team.

And for that, someone has to be held accountable. Did the powers to be at UH overpromise and underdeliver? Certainly, we can say that JJ is not in that category but were JJ's demands unreasonable?

Post that letter up with no media spin. I want to see where the disconnects are. This truly sucks for the people of Hawaii.
                                Last edited by nachodaddy; January 6, 2008, 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling, as usual............
                                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                                X