Sugar Bowl: UH Warriors vs. Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sugar Bowl: UH Warriors vs. Georgia

KGMB Liz Chun reported that despite the loss, the fans stayed and gave UH a standing ovation and altogether sang our state song, Hawai'i Pono E.

Then as appreciation, the Warrior team danced the Ha'a. We hope that won't be the last performance there.

I'm still proud of them, no matter what anyone tries to tell me OTHERWISE.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon View Post
      Watching Georgia was like watching an NFL team play. The other line in the AP story is 100% true. Those UGA boys were simply "too big, too fast and too strong"... It was like watching the UH play a NFL team.
      Thanks for your insight. Well, you seen it in person. I only saw it on TV. And while Georgia is no doubt talented, I just don't think they are THAT good. In other words, I think our O-Line made the Dawgs' D look like Pro Bowlers. Right off the bat, I knew something was wrong. Maybe some our boys were being "party hardy" before the game. It wouldn't be the first time its happened. Still remember some of the stories about more than a few key UH players painting Waikiki red on the night before a Hawaii Bowl embarrassment against Tulane a few years ago.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Thanks for your insight. Well, you seen it in person. I only saw it on TV. And while Georgia is no doubt talented, I just don't think they are THAT good. In other words, I think our O-Line made the Dawgs' D look like Pro Bowlers.
        Wow. It's one thing to compare the UGA to an NFL team, it's another to compare them to a Pro Bowl team.

How come you can say that and NOT get hounded by ericncyn?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          I admit I was lazy in reading the last part. Didn't I already said that was over the line?

I only cared for what seems to be an analysis of the game.

Are you going to keep hounding me that I'm not fan enough now? You want to measure me if I'm a Warrior fan now? You still want to keep this going? I'm trying not to hate you, fan to fan.

You sure you want to end the thread this way? Going at each other's throats?
          thank you for admitting you were lazy. thanks also for editing your post to offer an olive branch. this was never a "going at your throat" thing--how can it be, when all i've done was point out what you've said or implied?

whether you hate me or not for any other reason doesn't matter to me. regarding the sincerity of your warrior fandom, it's not for me to judge that. after all, i've admitted elsewhere on HT that i myself am not usually a UH fan because i don't usually pay much attention to sports of any kind.

however, even i have the prescience not to go adding insult to injury by agreeing with someone insulting brennan et al with jeers of "overrated" when the whole state is rooting for UH to win on a national stage. i'm glad you admitted that your seeming in concordance with that opinion was merely the result of your apathy.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Wow. It's one thing to compare the UGA to an NFL team, it's another to compare them to a Pro Bowl team.

How come you can say that and NOT get hounded by ericncyn?

easy. they didn't agree UH was "overrated."

i'll wholeheartedly agree that tonight, UH didn't play the way they should have played--the way we know they're capable of playing. the warriors made mistakes and missed opportunities. they were soundly beat by a team that was bigger, faster and stronger.

but no way is UH "overrated!" they deserved the ranking they got, and they deserved being in the sugar bowl.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The craziest things about this game was:

watching 3, 4 even 5 guys pour through the Hawaii offensive line looking almost untouched.

watching the offense for the most part not really throw any kind of pass more than 10 yards.

seeing how bad UH's defense was against the run. We were lucky that Washington for some unknown reason, gave up on it in the second half of that game.

why UH didn't call a series of timeouts before the end of the first half and finally called their first with :30 seconds left when they could have had at least 2 minutes on the clock and the ball had they used them.

Who's the huge running back guy? He looked like a good candidate to block from the backfield to me.

Oh well, we have next year. First game is @ Florida versus "system" quarterback and Heisman winner Tim Tebow, so I think the guys who are still around should start training ASAP so we don't get killed again to start next season.

Comment

Just putting in my .02 here.

UH Warriors should be proud of their season, I believe the die hard fans, new fans and anyone that followed the UH Warriors alike sure are. This team has shown the nation what Hawaii is all about. We have heart and we BELIEVED!!! They accomplished their dream and has done the State proud!

I was in a heated argument with a GA fan on one of my hobby forums while the game was on, & boy did I let him have it. Talk about no class at all. Sure we were losing, Hawaii just wasn't in their game tonight and sure the caliber of the type of team GA is surely out performed HI, but for him to dog Colt the way he did just set me off. Not to mention he decided to quote the GA chant of "Overrated", man I wanted to reach through my screen and *****! So, HT, I let him have it, hawaiian "tita" style, lol. He backed off after awhile though...

I am so VERY proud of them, of their season & for all they have accomplished!

** Will JJ be back next year?? What about Grice-Mullen and Bess will they enter the draft?? hmmmmmm
                Maika'i Warriors!
                sigpic

Comment

Somebody mentioned the GA contingent with tons of bandmembers, cheerleaders, and organized fans. I would like to comment that that is the way it is in many parts of the mainland.

I realize Hawaii loves its football. But the level of involvement by HI fans is nowhere close to the zeal that can be found in many High School programs around the nation. This is most especially obvious at the local high school level where teams often have 8 cheerleaders, no flag girls, no rifle squad, no band, and the stands are filled with stoic, silent, parents. No chants, no interplay w/ cheers, very little cheering, no noisemakers, and, with the exception of Konawaena HS, a very dismal snackbar.

I been here 15 years, and coached for a few. It was by far my biggest frustration. Outside the 30-40 guys on the field, it's hard to get anybody else involved. Maybe that is what they call Polynesian Paralysis.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Very funny, not ENOUGH interest in football. I've always seen it from the other perspective, that is, not enough interest in academics. Watching sports is among the greatest wastes in our society - it's an activity designed to appeal to bored, lazy sheep. Finding pride in having a winning team is similar to having pride in your appearance on the basis of what you're wearing. Go Warriors!
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Georgia played better than UH in last night's game. Could we have won the game? We certainly would have had a chance if we had played smarter, been more disciplined and faster. Yes, Georgia was "bigger, faster and stronger", but that does not a winning team make. Proper execution makes a winning team and we failed to execute. I am proud of the Warriors accomplishments throughout the season and I am not ashamed that we lost. You gotta play those who are better than you or you never get better. Sometimes you'll lose and that's part of how you learn.

Comment

Watched the game as well. I was rooting for Hawaii the whole way and it was sad to see that game eat Colt's soul. He did what he had to do, unfortunately it was not enough. He has bounced back through worst though. He'll need some time but he will be OK getting through this.

Purely from a football point of view, notwithstanding who was playing and the emotions that go along with it, you have to give it up to Georgia. Hawaii did not establish a run so Georgia's D line was teeing it up on the pass rush. They did not try to match up beef for beef on the outside. The pressure from the ends were with smaller, quicker people, with a whole lot faster feet. When you get an O lineman leaning (not moving their feet) and pushing with their hands, you pretty much own them. Plus the defensive coordinator cycled people in and out almost every play, that will start to wear on you. All of that disrupts rhythm and 'the system" relies on rhythm for it to work.

In the pregame, I really liked the commentary about how the UH players dealt with every game as it was a do or die game. "Lose and the dream ends" or something to that effect. They were not happy just to play in the Holiday Bowl and is testament to the fortitude of the entire team.

No shame here. Georgia was one game away from playing in the big one and I trust that the exposure UH got from the nation (perhaps not the media) will help this program in the future.

What the future holds for June Jones, no one knows. He has one more year left on his contract and he is NFL material for sure. He did what other UH teams have never done, is there enough incentive for him to do it again, but win this time?

Oh, I like it when punters get all jacked up. Cheap shot in the back, don't F with me now, I'm a tough guy. Punters. LOL.
                        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

All in all, I`m proud of our Hawaii Warriors Team. They had a great season and they kept the fans alive....
                          Thanks Warriors (NO KA OI) no matter what!!!!!!
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
                            Oh, I like it when punters get all jacked up. Cheap shot in the back, don't F with me now, I'm a tough guy. Punters. LOL.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQqziLPPEs

pax

Comment

You've made me laugh twice today........
                              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                                i sent their sports editor a scathing email... i just checked, and the last paragraphs of the piece at the honadv ... clearly, it had been edited. it now has more quotes from brennan, none of which were there before. even if it wasn't my email that got the thing changed, i'm glad that our warriors were treated with more honor. it sure didn't seem like the advertiser was a hometown paper when i read the original piece!
                                Clearly, you give yourself too much credit. Anyone who has been following the Advertiser for the past couple of years knows that they make a desperate attempt to put random crap online, just for the sake of being “first.” What obviously occurred in this instance is, the webmaster put whatever was finished from the Newberry article online while the local writer was feverishly going through the tape of people he interviewed, selecting quotes, and editing his rough draft.
                                Last edited by TuNnL; January 2, 2008, 01:13 PM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X