Johnny Carson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Johnny Carson

OK, I am stepping in and asking the both of you to take the personal arguments to email. I have gotten a complaint from another user of the board. Thank you.

mel
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      OK, I am stepping in and asking the both of you to take the personal arguments to email. I have gotten a complaint from another user of the board. Thank you.

mel

it's not personal and it's no argument. Just jokin around.
      no can see dat!?

what is the complaint?
      remedy: change the channel if one does not like the program yea?!

Comment

Kimo, you know better. A perfectly reasonable thread about Johnny Carson has been derailed by petty, off-topic nitpicks. (And spreading to other threads as well.) Why ask other people to "change the channel" when you and Palolo Joe are the ones hijacking the "show"?

Stay on topic. If you want to do some "joking around," try a new thread. If you're "joking around" and no one else is playing, however, take it to Private Messages - that's what they're there for.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
          Why ask other people to "change the channel" when you and Palolo Joe are the ones hijacking the "show"?
          i give up; why?
          is this a trick question?

ok. sorry, eh.
          apologized and withdrawn.

Comment

Topic.

I miss Johnny Carson. I missed him since Jay Leno stepped in, and as far as I'm concerned, Leno is still flopping about in Carson's cavernous showbiz shoes.

To be fair, though, fond remembrances are one thing, idealistic beatification is another. Carson did a late-night show for decades, and it's a given that he's had more than his share of gaffes and questionable calls.

I was too young to have been watching when these segments aired, and I suppose you can chalk some of it up to "the way things were," but it's a fine line between edgy and offensive, and depending on your perspective, he could have crossed it.

Most of what people are praising him for is his interviewing style, and with those kudos I wholeheartedly agree. I heard someone say, "He was a bigger star than most of the guests who sat in that couch, and yet he had a way of making sure the world revolved around them for those few minutes."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Topic.

I miss Johnny Carson. I missed him since Jay Leno stepped in, and as far as I'm concerned, Leno is still flopping about in Carson's cavernous showbiz shoes.
              leno is a nice fella, and i really admire his work ethic. Infinitely approachable whether at a car show or there at the studio. Don't appreciate his delivery on his show; he seems to try to milk each punch line. he rephrases it and drags it out.

To be fair, though, fond remembrances are one thing, idealistic beatification is another.
              no one is doing that. Carson created a gold standard that will not be equalled. that is just a fact and his legacy bears it out.

Carson did a late-night show for decades, and it's a given that he's had more than his share of gaffes and questionable calls.
              well, sure. he is human, after all.
              and that is one of the cool things about him; his bomb takes; how he handled them on screen and off. the classy way he dealt with the glithes.

Most of what people are praising him for is his interviewing style, and with those kudos I wholeheartedly agree. I heard someone say, "He was a bigger star than most of the guests who sat in that couch, and yet he had a way of making sure the world revolved around them for those few minutes."

his interviewing style is a small aspect of the man. His monologue, the content and delivery, his family he created, the way he ran his show, the general 'feel' of the show that made it an almost nightly very familiar comfortable ritual for much of america... the relationship he had with Mcmahon and DeCordova, his persona around town, his business dealings, his pioneering in the media...

Comment

Johnny was a great entertainer...even with all his salacious innuendos. He also lived a hard life in the fast lane, along with Frank, and Sammy and and Dino. His hard living in the fast lane is what did him in: his years of smoking heavily and boozing caught up with him at a way too young age. He died from emphysema and congestive heart failure. For those of you who smoke heavily, please try to quit. You don't want to die in the kind of agony he probably went through in his final days: bloated by cortisone to keep the pain away and gasping for air.

My favorite segments of his show were when he played with the animals because you never knew what animal Joan Embry from the San Diego Zoo would bring on stage that would embarass the living bejeezus out of him (his deadpan expressions were the best). He also gave a lot of currently active comedians their start; many of them said if it wasn't for Johnny, they probably wouldn't be in the business today.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

About Jay Leno

Originally posted by kimo55
                  he seems to try to milk each punch line. he rephrases it and drags it out.
                  I agree with you there about Jay Leno, Johnny Carson tended to dance while the band played whenever the joke bomb. I suppose Jay could dance too but that would be copying Carson's style and that wouldn't be original unless Leno changed the tune and the dance (and not over do it).
                  Last edited by helen; January 25, 2005, 10:52 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                    Why ask other people to "change the channel" when you and Palolo Joe are the ones hijacking the "show"?
                    Go back and read each of my posts. I tried to stay on topic, making the point that while he was a television icon, Johnny Carson wasn't a saint by any means.

Did anyone bother to click the link I posted to the NYDN item?

To add to the discussion - would the Tonight Show be any different had David Letterman gotten the nod back in 92?

Comment

I gotta admit that during the 70's I could never stay up late enough to watch an entire episode of the Tonight Show, but if I remember right it was scheduled to air around 11 or midnight and not at it's 10:30 pm time slot and giving how we in Hawaii got the show, we either got last week's show or the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        He died from emphysema and congestive heart failure. For those of you who smoke heavily, please try to quit. You don't want to die in the kind of agony he probably went through in his final days: bloated by cortisone to keep the pain away and gasping for air.
                        Amen to that. My stepdad died of the same causes in '98 and I had to watch his breathing slowly deteriorate over 13 years. He went from being a relatively healthy guy(for a 2-pack-a-day smoker) who played tennis on the weekends to where he couldn't even walk from one end of the living room to the other, even with oxygen, and he had panic attacks when he couldn't breathe. I wouldn't want to see *anyone* die like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          "ah yes. the "blog". full of pithy, meaty copy that really matters. where everyone turns to for authentic factual pearls of wisdom since time immemorial. perfect for quotes and the original source for the cultural illiterati."

Ah, yes - more insults. Keep running your mouth Kimo...
                          Sorry; didn't mean to get carried away there.
                          (it's like the Ouija board; the keys keep typing...)
                          using a lil sarcasm to make a point.
                          Nothing personal; just general, in that if one is inclined to seek important news facts or info from one blog, judgement may be in question.
                          You see, the "ZZG/Carson" story is one of countless "urban legends" that has been circulating maaaaany years... (if I recall correctly, since about the 70's) much before the advent of the internet, and of course, decades before "blogs".
                          Last edited by kimo55; January 26, 2005, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            his years of smoking heavily and boozing caught up with him at a way too young age.
                            Miulang

That is sad and the part I lament; he admitted in a Mike Wallace interview he drank too much. One thing he based his chiding on the irishman McMahon; Ed could hold his liquor, Johnny couldn't.

and his smoking was a problem. Tried to quit many times. It held too strong a grasp on him. Remember the eps where we see him grabbing a quick drag from behind the desk?
                            back in the day, smoking was considered ok on the set during taping. then, he slowly hid this and now and then we see him surreptitiously puff, then later on, it was only at commercial breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                              About Jay Leno

I agree with you there about Jay Leno, Johnny Carson tended to dance while the band played whenever the joke bomb.

he did alotta different things; yanking down the boom mike and tapping into it, announcing a kmart blue lite special, etc..

Comment

Really I thought Skitch Henderson or Ed McMahon would be the first to go before Johnny. McMahon used to drink so much it wasnt funny, I thought he would die of liver failure or something. I remember one time Ed was so drunk it wasnt funny and Johnny said "Your not fooling anyone tonight are you". It was obvious he was drunk as can be. I think he got his act together before it was too late. Good for McMahon.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X