Democratic National Convention 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democratic National Convention 2008

I figure we need a thread for this dog and pony show. Looks to me like everybody is having a good time though. Did you see the Hawaii themed dinner last night on the news? How about the protesters that ran off Fox News crew? And what about filling Invesco field with 70sumfin thousand?

How much bounce in the polls? Seems like a dead heat right now to me. Anybody ever been to a convention? We had a mock convention in my high school back in 1984.

What about the rift in the Dem party tween BO and HC supporters? Must be tons of junk to talk about in this thread. Come on folks.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Dem Convention 08

In college I covered some of the 1996 GOP from San Diego.

Also remember soon after Bob Dole falling off the stage in Phoenix right in front of the media, a possible precursor of things to come in the fall election.

The 1984 Dem. Convention is when I really started to be interested in politics, was at a age that I began to read about history and let it all sink in.

I believe I have almost every convention from 1968 on videotape.

Aj

Comment

Re: Democratic National Convention 2008

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      How much bounce in the polls? Seems like a dead heat right now to me. --- What about the rift in the Dem party tween BO and HC supporters?
      Little early to have anything to say in answer to these questions, but it will be interesting to see how they play out.

The "bounce" usually comes at the end of a convention, Tim, not before it has even begun. That's why Sen. McCain intends to announce his VP choice right at the end of the Demo convention - to deflate some of the likely "bounce."

I've heard from superdelegates who were originally committed to Sen. Clinton say that they have already told both Sens. Clinton and Obama that they will cast their first-round ballots for Sen. Obama now. If enough of them do so, that should answer any concerns about the "rift." And if they don't - that's one piece of the image problem the Dems will still have to tackle before November.

Comment

What about the rift in the Dem party tween BO and HC supporters? Must be tons of junk to talk about in this thread. Come on folks.
        Ah yes, the much talked about rift. A lively talking point in political shows. And that's what it appears to be. Just a lot of talk.

Just watched Chris Matthews interview some of the holdout Clintonites who say they are planning to vote for McCain. Three of them,..... in a sea of hundreds of Democrats united firmly behind Obama.

Should Matthews have given attention to what appears to be a squeaking wheel fringe element? I'm actually glad he did. Those Clintonites showed themselves for what they really were to millions of viewers on MSNBC. They cited Obama's "exotic" upbringing in Hawaii and Indonesia. Insisted that he was a closet Muslim. And while they did not utter any slurs, they came across as being borderline racists. Their pathetic rants were certainly not something that either Clinton or McCain would want to be associated with. Neither is it the kind of thing that would attract undecided independents.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

KITV's Shawn Ching is blogging from Denver:

http://www.kitv.com/politics/17269140/detail.html

Aj

Comment

On Twitter.com, you can follow up to the second coverage from members such as @atrios, @matthewstoller, @ilind, @joebiden, @barackobama, @markwarner, @JoeTrippi, @neilabercrombie, @marcambinder, @demconvention, @Netroots_Nation, @Pam_Spaulding, @alisavino, and @anamariecox.

I'm sure theres more.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Timkona's in the comics

Our boy Timkona (or at least his perspective) is represented in today's Doonesbury.

Comment

Pretty funny Leo. But not nearly as funny as the Fox News crew being run off by the war protesters outside the convention.

The irony of the protesters is that they, likely, want anybody but McCain to win, and so by their behaviors, and the way those behaviors are perceived, they inadvertently help the Repubican cause.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Nancy Pelosi is the worst. If that is the leadoff hitter for the Dems, you folks are in desperate straits.

She stalled for applause that never came. She paused for laughs that were not funny. She looked like a robot that had too many facelifts. And what is with the gum smacking. Is she an ice-smoker?:eek My favorite part was the pan shots of the audience talking amongst themselves, as if the microphone was not turned up, and they failed to notice her on the podium.
                  Last edited by timkona; August 25, 2008, 03:17 PM.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I feel like a cartoon character in a Doonesbury strip.
                    And I wonder why that's not your sig.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Nancy Pelosi is the worst. If that is the leadoff hitter for the Dems, you folks are in desperate straits.
                      When you go to a concert featuring multiple acts, do you (a) expect the opening act to be the best or the least appealing of all the performers, and (b) sit attentively to every note from that first act, or chat with your buds during their set?

Come on - try harder, Tim. (I know you will.) Get beyond the easy potshots.

Comment

It is an incredibly exciting, exhilirating experience to attend a national convention. It would take pages to even begin to record the memories. Be a delegate next time, all you have to do is get enough people to show up at a caucus to vote for you and you are in for one of the most exciting experiences of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          When you go to a concert featuring multiple acts, do you (a) expect the opening act to be the best or the least appealing of all the performers, and (b) sit attentively to every note from that first act, or chat with your buds during their set?
                          ???

Is that a two-choice or four-choice question?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Is that a two-choice or four-choice question?
                            Well --- this is a political thread, no?

Comment

Well, it just reinforces my overall point that Dems have qualified folks all over the nation in leadership positions, and they just NEVER choose to tap into the talent pool. Not for Pres. Not for a speaker. Heck, Al Sharpton would have been a better choice.

Better to wring your hands, and bite your nails in a hunched over, worried pose.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                              X