Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital TV Over The Air

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    Who decided to advance the switch to all digital one month early here on Oahu and who do I call to argue against it?
    Okay, I filed my complaints with the FCC - updates to follow, if anything develops.
    You know - after all the complaints that I see about how Hawai`i is always the last place in America to see technological upgrades and changes, here's one rare case where Hawai`i gets to be first in line.

And some people can only complain, no matter the circumstances.

Comment

Hi,
      Mike Rosenberg here. I'd be happy to answer any digital transition questions, or at least direct them to someone who can answer any engineering concerns. My number is 535-0206.
      Mike

Comment

Okay, I filed my complaints with the FCC - updates to follow, if anything develops.
        You filed a complaint because Hawaii will not follow the National DTV transition date???

Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
          Hi,
          Mike Rosenberg here. I'd be happy to answer any digital transition questions, or at least direct them to someone who can answer any engineering concerns. My number is 535-0206.
          Mike
          How 'bout a toll-free number for us po' neighbor-island viewers on the fringe side of Hawaii, eh?

Here's one question: do you have someone coming over to Molokai and test reception from Kalamaula to Kaunakakai (I live above the port town) and all the way to Halawa on the East End of the island?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            You know - after all the complaints that I see about how Hawai`i is always the last place in America to see technological upgrades and changes, here's one rare case where Hawai`i gets to be first in line.
            I don't think we the first and not completely -- Kauai will still be on analog using LPTV signals.

Comment

Random,

Here's what KMAU's new digital coverage looks like for Molokai by zip:

96770-should be better than present analog
              96729-should be better than present
              96757-should be about the same
              96752-looks like there is no coverage there now and will not be any
              96748-city grade coverage will be about the same...the lowest grade of coverage looks like it goes from 4412(population) to 3938, so there might be some loss.
              We are trying to get permission to turn on our digital transmitters prior to the 1/15 date on Maui so folks will have the opportunity to see if their service at their home is affected and they don't find out on 1/15 that they are SOL.
              Hope this helps.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

And some people can only complain, no matter the circumstances.
                Actually Wilmington, NC was first market to switch off analog and go digital only.

As for the complaint, I mentioned to salmoned to file a complaint on KHNL/KFVE for not complying with regulations on sending it's PSIP data on it's digital channels. While a very small percentage of viewers watch the stations OTA signal, they are still obligated to monitor the integrity of the stations signal to those viewers.

Comment

Random,

Here's what KMAU's new digital coverage looks like for Molokai by zip:

96748-city grade coverage will be about the same...the lowest grade of coverage looks like it goes from 4412(population) to 3938, so there might be some loss.

We are trying to get permission to turn on our digital transmitters prior to the 1/15 date on Maui so folks will have the opportunity to see if their service at their home is affected and they don't find out on 1/15 that they are SOL.
                  Hope this helps.
                  For one station. I can catch KMAU but not as strong and clear as KAII. Of course, I only have a basic VHF rooftop antenna, the one my dad (Bless his Soul) installed and back then we could catch KMAU strong and clear. Gonna have to upgrade to a long-range directional antenna. I just hope I don't waste that investment to keep FREE OTA TV.

Comment

Random,

As you know, sometimes engineering studies do not match real world experience, but you should be able to see Ulupalakua from your zip, unless you have terrain issues right by your house. Hope you can continue to support free OTA broadcasters.

Mike

Comment

Hope you can continue to support free OTA broadcasters.
                      I hope so, too. I'd rather die a Free OTA TV viewer.

Comment

KHNL has their time signal corrected (again)! Now, when will KFVE get it together?

Probably aren't too many DTV OTA viewers out there, but anyone else notice the glitchy program/commercial transitions on KHNL and PBS, especially at night? Under-trained, undermanned or just incompetent? It's really irksome to lose the first 10 to 30 seconds (not to mention the occasional 10 to 30 minutes) of a program.
                        Last edited by salmoned; November 13, 2008, 02:26 PM.
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Latest - KFVE, no signal. PBS Hawaii, some programs have 5 second stop action/blank screen segments at 1/2 to 1 minute intervals - must be a bad recorder. I hope they can fix it, because it's sure distracting.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Hope this helps.

Mike
                            Aloha Mike

I applaud your accessibility here and especially your efforts to get your xmtr on-the-air prior to the 'transition' for testing...many mahalos.

My concern regards the NFC/AFC Championship games being broadcast via FOX/CBS on 1/18. The 'Sports Bar' I work for receives these OTA and two and a half days doesn't allow much time for testing the converter box/re-modulators, etc.
                            Just having even -one- signal available for testing would be wonderful.

Any new information on when you'll have digital up would be much appreciated.

--Michael
                            (I talked to you on the phone a couple of times years ago about 'Monday Night Football'.)

Comment

Michael,
                              Where's the bar? We (Hawaii broadcasters) hope to have KGMB up early. We are awaiting delivery of transmission line from California and could be up by the end of this year.
                              Mike

Comment

Mike, the bar is the Kahului AleHouse (96732). "End of this year" would be very cool.<g>

--Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X