This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Well, the 5 month primary process is over. Obama is now the presumptive Democratic nominee. It is now Obama vs. McCain.

With the Presidential race entering a new phase and with the "chapter 2" thread having been inactive for some time now, I was just wondering if now might be a good time to close that thread and to begin chapter 3?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Works for me!

Of course, while the conventional wisdom is that Obama's clinched it, Clinton's non-concession speech (a flat, calculating composition versus Obama's victory speech) has folks wondering whether she really will drag things out until the convention.

Of course, folks have been saying for weeks that Clinton's actually just looking for a good time to bow out on a high-note... reports that sound like a little bit of wishful thinking on the part of some media outlets. The latest "scoop" is that she's going to quit on Saturday.

Is she angling for a VP slot? Sounds like. Part of me thinks this "Dream Ticket" is the only surefire way to win back the White House... but that mixing Obama with Clinton will ultimately be a toxic move that'll leave most with a bad taste in their mouths.

Who else would be a good veep to Obama? John Edwards?

Meanwhile... how are the VP prospects looking for McCain? Gov. Charlie Crist of Florida, Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, and Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts are on the shortlist...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

Of course, while the conventional wisdom is that Obama's clinched it, Clinton's non-concession speech (a flat, calculating composition versus Obama's victory speech) has folks wondering whether she really will drag things out until the convention.
      oh geez!

in 1980, ted kennedy took his campaign for the presidency all the way to the democratic national convention floor--which, let me remind you, was in mid-august of that year. he was behind jimmy carter by about a thousand delegates. compare that one thousand to clinton's being behind by about 225. yet several months ago, kennedy had the hypocritical audacity to announce that clinton should quit. pfft!

kennedy, to his credit, just a day after finally conceding, gave a rousing keynote speech that electrified the convention's audience. text and audio of kennedy's speech here. i recommend reading/listening to it--that speech certainly resonates today.

additionally, people make much ado about the clintons not being able to handle that their time has come and gone. i say, far from it! i say, you merely need to consider the kennedys. despite ted's failed presidential candidacy, his (family's) influence remained a guiding hand on the DNC for decades. no one could deny that there would not have been an obama if there had not been a clinton. despite pronouncements about her being a bitch, a shrew, a crybaby, a nutcracker, ballbreaker, and reminiscent of a nagging first wife, i forsee sen. clinton skillfully becoming a catalyst--as kennedy did, 28 years ago--to mend whatever hurts there might be within the party.

so let me ask y'all this--why was it okay that kennedy did what he did, but when clinton does it (and the margin between her and obama is about a quarter as twas between kennedy and carter), she is excoriated for it?
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Of course, folks have been saying for weeks that Clinton's actually just looking for a good time to bow out on a high-note... reports that sound like a little bit of wishful thinking on the part of some media outlets. The latest "scoop" is that she's going to quit on Saturday.
        The reports say that in a conference call that Clinton had with most of her superdelegate supporters in Congress today, they were not pleased with her speech on Tuesday, which was seen as being ungracious to Obama on what should have been a historic night for him to enjoy. And they let her know it in no uncertain terms. Any thoughts that the Clinton camp had about carrying on into next week with the support of those congress members was dashed and they want her to shut it down by Saturday at the latest.

Is she angling for a VP slot? Sounds like. Part of me thinks this "Dream Ticket" is the only surefire way to win back the White House... but that mixing Obama with Clinton will ultimately be a toxic move that'll leave most with a bad taste in their mouths.
        I personally don't think Obama needs Clinton to win the electoral map.

BTW, Obama announced a 3 person search team for his running mate. (One of whom is Caroline Kennedy.) While the final decision will no doubt remain Obama's, it does divorce him from the vetting process that this search team will apply to screening out the unsuitable candidates. One thing that this search team might use to eliminate Hillary from consideration is getting Bill to reveal the list of donors to his presidential library and the WJC Foundation. A list that, for whatever reason, the Clintons have kept close to the vest.

Meanwhile... how are the VP prospects looking for McCain? Gov. Charlie Crist of Florida, Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, and Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts are on the shortlist...
        Let the veepstakes now BEGIN!!!
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Let the veepstakes now BEGIN!!!
          My top choice at this point would be New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson.

Comment

I think Virginia Senator, Jim Webb would be the best choice.
            But I could be happy with Hillary as well.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Wesley Clark
              Pros: Powerful military credentials
              Cons: Brash reputation may negate McCain's reputation for having a temper.

Bill Richardson
              Pros: Executive experience (Gov of NM), UN Ambassador = strong foreign policy credit
              Cons: Double minority ticket may be too much for most to handle

Kathleen Sebelius
              Pros: Executive Experience (Gov of Kansas), two time democratic governor of traditionally republican state, woman politician with proven credentials
              Cons: Insufficient name recognition, lost opportunity to find someone with foreign policy credits

No Ménage-à-trois for Obama.

It seems a primary contention Hillary's well televised supporters have with Obama is that he "stole" the election. I wonder where all these people were when George W won in 2000 via electoral college votes?

Does anyone think that Lingle might be on McCain's list for VP candidates?
              Last edited by Vanguard; June 5, 2008, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                Bill Richardson
                Pros: Executive experience (Gov of NM), UN Ambassador = strong foreign policy credit
                Cons: Double minority ticket may be too much for most to handle
                ... and member of the House of Representatives, and Secretary of Energy, so he also has Congressional and Cabinet experience.

It would be interesting to see how many people would consider it a con to be a "double-minority" ticket, a point that the GOP could exploit as "not representing a majority of Americans." The fact that the Democratic nominee was, for a long time, going to be either a woman or an African-American, may represent a long-overdue shift in American political perspectives.

Comment

Good points, Leo Lakio!

One point about Obama-Richardson;

They wouldn't only be a "double minority ticket", but they'd also be a double multiracial ticket. It's something we as current and former Kama'aina are well-acquainted with, but I'm not sure if it's even something most Americans preceive. It seems to most, Obama is simply black, and Richardson is simply hispanic. And the multiracial America is growing impressively, see this article.

Also, an unlikely, but good match-up (IMO):

Chuck Hagel
                  Pros: Strong, anti-war republican senator who distanced himself from the Bush administration would make for a great unity ticket
                  Cons: Two senators on the same ticket, both without executive experience, would be a glaring negative
                  Last edited by Vanguard; June 5, 2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                    [...]
                    Does anyone think that Lingle might be on McCain's list for VP candidates?
                    Must admit this crossed my mind for a fleeting second but not based on qualifications; rather, on how mind blowing it might be to have 2 people with such strong Hawaii ties running for the top 2 positions at the same time!

Comment

I think tutusue's avatar would have a better shot at the VP spot.

Gosh..., I hope I don't have to appologize for that too...
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Hagel's name has been bandied about. Selecting him would certainly put an exclamation point on the idea of Obama's administration truly being bi-partisan. But putting him on the ticket will probably be seen as too big a gamble. After the very tough primary battle, Obama needs to pick a VP who will do his/her part to unite the Democrats. A cabinet position might be a more realistic prospect for Hagel.

It's true that an Obama/Richardson ticket would be a dual-minority one. I don't see why that would be any less viable than an Afro-American/female ticket, which is what an Obama/Clinton pairing would be.

I still strongly believe that Obama will benefit most from someone who can deliver votes from him in the South, like Richardson, Clark, or Webb. If not, then it will have to be someone who can carry a big battleground state, like Ed Rendell (Pennsylvania governor) or Ted Strickland (Ohio governor).

Comment

The Dem side of this election is kinda like watching a plane crash in slow motion replay. You know the outcome already, but you keep hoping for them poor suckers to live through it. The funny part is that the next load of passengers will just get on the same plane thinking it might end differently. Perhaps Obama should pick McCain as his VP?

dang i crack me up.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            I think tutusue's avatar would have a better shot at the VP spot.

Gosh..., I hope I don't have to appologize for that too...
                            <sniff>

Comment

David Brooks: Obama is elitist -- he'd never go to the salad bar at Applebee's.

Applebee's: we don't have a salad bar

Comment

Working...
                              X