Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Storm Systems

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I'm hoping for enough wind and rain to cancel work, but not enough to do any real damage.
    O`ahu forecast for tomorrow is wind up to 35 and maybe higher... expect more wind on Wednesday, and that's IF Flossie stays on her current track. It could, of course, get much worse.
    Also, I just got a call from my insider at the SuperFerry. They're ready to race out of here to the safest quadrant of Flossie, if necessary. Much talk among all the large ships in Honolulu Harbor right now about whether to stay or run.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I guess the Superferry and cruise ships could just sail northeast of the islands and wait out the storm away from the tracking path. If Flossie threatens Honolulu, and hopefully if the airports on the Big Island are not damaged, then I guess the planes could be flown there to wait it out. Got 2 airports... Hilo and Kona, though Kona can probably be congested if all the private jets are there.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Back to the storm at hand...

Advisory 22A NOAA

AT 800 PM HST...0600Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 16.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 152.5 WEST OR ABOUT 295 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF HILO...HAWAII AND ABOUT 500 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HONOLULU...HAWAII.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 16 MPH AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 120 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. FLOSSIE IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. LITTLE CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 957 MB...28.26 INCHES.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The 8pm advisory (22A) is out.

date and time (HST); advisory bulletin; lat long of eye; distance from Hilo; distance from Honolulu

08/13 11:00 am; #21; 15.3N 150.6W; 425 miles SE; 635 miles SE
          08/13 2:00 pm; #21A; 15.6N 151.5W; 365 miles SE; 570 miles SE
          08/13 5:00 pm; #22; 15.9N 152.0W; 330 miles SE; 535 miles SE
          08/13 8:00 pm; #22A; 16.2N 152.5W; 295 miles SE; 500 miles SE

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            It picked up forward speed again. Up to 16mph. And being 295 miles away, that equals 18 hours to ground zero... roughly 2pm Tuesday, local time, if the forward speed stays steady.
            And looking at that satellite loop, it sure seems that Flossie is turning more northerly. Anybody else see that? Sure hope I'm wrong.

Comment

I hope our friends on the big island are taking precautions.

(and I pray that they and their loved ones will survive - and that their camera batteries can hold up so they can take good pictures).
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

A brief moment of comic relief.
                I'm watching the KFVE News At 9 right now. They just aired a commercial for the Hilton Waikoloa Village, and the spot started with this:

"NOW is the perfect time to visit the Big Island."

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                  I hope our friends on the big island are taking precautions.

(and I pray that they and their loved ones will survive - and that their camera batteries can hold up so they can take good pictures).
                  *thows a battery at Adrian*
                  Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

LikeNui, agreed, it sure looks more northwesterly instead of "west, northwest" as they are still officially saying. Don't doubt your own eyes, hmmm.....

Sue, about no quake insurance....we have a mortgage so we have it,but NOT on the things inside. If the worst ever happens we'll be eating it on all of our personal belongings, so I do know how ya feel.

PS...look at this UH radar! the thing is soo precisely moving northwesterly that if it stays right like this, and no, it may not but if it does, looks to be headed dang directly into the big island and the others, too, though a bit weaker.

http://weather.hawaii.edu/satellite/...satplat=goes10

Last PS, thanks for tolerating Edith bunker here, LOL.....another family member looked and reminded me that the map is small but the earth is much larger and round, but the map looks flat and I maybe am a bit more concerned than I should be? hmmm.....over and out. newstime~
                    Last edited by Karen; August 13, 2007, 09:58 PM.
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

• Re: Storm Systems

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
                      This could be a real problem for the entire island chain. Time to go to Costco.
                      Not likely:

NWS: "...BUT THE RECENT WEAKENING TREND MAKES IT
                      LESS LIKELY THAT FLOSSIE WILL HAVE A MAJOR IMPACT OUTSIDE OF THE
                      BIG ISLAND."

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                        Fear not fellow HT brothers & sisters! The Fat Jeff clan is prepared for this storm...that alone virtually guarantees that it will not come anywhere close to us!
                        I hear you brother! I did a little "topping off" so my luck adds to yours.

Comment

The 11pm advisory (23) is out.

date and time (HST); advisory bulletin; lat long of eye; distance from Hilo; distance from Honolulu

08/13 11:00 am; #21; 15.3N 150.6W; 425 miles SE; 635 miles SE
                          08/13 2:00 pm; #21A; 15.6N 151.5W; 365 miles SE; 570 miles SE
                          08/13 5:00 pm; #22; 15.9N 152.0W; 330 miles SE; 535 miles SE
                          08/13 8:00 pm; #22A; 16.2N 152.5W; 295 miles SE; 500 miles SE
                          08/13 11:00 pm; #23; 16.4N 153.2W; 260 miles SE; 455 miles SE

By the way I sort of noticed that the links that myself and others have been using in this thread pointing a specific bulletin from the weather service is actually pointing to the lastest bulletin from the weather service.

Also I am not going to post the 2am, 5am and 8am bulletins until 9am (HST) unless someone else wants to do it.

Comment

The BI is going to get some fun weather:

"HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN OUTER RAINBANDS MAY PRODUCE 10 INCHES OR MORE OF RAINFALL IN KAU DISTRICT ON THE BIG ISLAND THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT. SMALLER AMOUNTS...5 TO 10 INCHES...MAY FALL ON THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT."

Oahu is expected to get an inch or two. That and high surf is all we're expected to get.

I think some people in this thread are getting really worked up over this. While it's good to plan and prepare, it sounds like some are about ready to have anxiety attacks. Chill. Do what you can and don't worry about the rest. What's going to happen is going to happen.

Comment

Of course, if anyone had prepped BEFOREHAND, they would be able to do all the million and one little jobs that might be needed now...or maybe even simply sit back and watch the show in relative peace and tranquility.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                                Of course, if anyone had prepped BEFOREHAND.
                                And that's what some of us have been doing for the last a couple of days. Preparing beforehand. As it stands right now there is no official word that this storm is going to hit the island of Oahu within the next 36 hours.

Now anyone in the state who has been keeping up with current events know that there is this hurricane that is out there. And each person in their own way and/or style is going to prepare for this storm with whatever resources they have at their disposal.

So please don't worry about us.

Comment

Working...
                                X