iPod or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iPod or ?

Nothing to do with your question but it reminded me of this article warning about possible lightning strikes and ipod (and other personal electronic gadget) users.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

Comment

So what exactly is the aversion to using iTunes? It's a free MP3/MP4/video player for Mac or PC that can also sync your music and videos to iPods.

Yes, it has the store built in, but so what? You don't HAVE to buy music from them.

You can go buy the CD from the store and rip it into iTunes AAC (MP4) and that's the end of the story. If you really don't want MP4, you can change your prefs and tell it to rip MP3 instead. This is unprotected, unencumbered by DRM of any kind.

You can use iTunes to play music on your computer. You can use it to sync your music to your iPod. You can sync your contacts, calendars and notes to your iPod for a handy PDA. You can use the visualizer for psychedelic parties or personal tripping.

(Remember, this is for FREE, folks. What the heck you want for free?)

I have hundreds of CDs ripped into my 60g video, plus dozens of albums purchased from the store.

Not only that, I have many videos, a couple of movies purchased from iTunes. I also have DOZENS of my own video projects and YouTube videos on my iPod.

I have free podcasts synced daily, and I have video podcasts synced to the iPod, as well.

You can use all those features for free. You don't have to buy anything from the store. You don't even have to LOOK at the store if you don't want to.

So what's the aversion? Don't want to install APPLE SOFTWARE on your precious PeeCee? Get over it. In fact, install Safari while you're at it!
      Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
        So what exactly is the aversion to using iTunes? ... So what's the aversion? Don't want to install APPLE SOFTWARE on your precious PeeCee? Get over it.
        Settle down there, MMan.

I've used iTunes for years on a number of PCs, both work and home, primarily for downloading podcasts. At my ex-job, I used it to assemble CD compilations for client demos.

Isn't QuickTime an Apple product, too? Most PCs run it.

Comment

iTunes has the potentially annoying tendency to want to take over your music library and reorganize it the iTunes way. (iPhoto does this, too, with photo files.) This can be off-putting if you already have your own organization scheme established for your files.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
            iTunes has the potentially annoying tendency to want to take over your music library and reorganize it the iTunes way.
            I remember when I installed iTunes it took over being my MP3 player. Did it ask? NO!!

Comment

Wasn't talking to you, LL. Read all the posts below. Many of them mention not wanting to install iTunes. Those guys sound like they're afraid that they'll get "hooked" on the Kool Aid. That was my reference.

Before it was iTunes, it was a commercial product called SoundJam. It was GREAT! I bought a license for it wayyyy back when. Then Apple bought them and turned SoundJam into iTunes.

At first, I was unhappy, but after trying iTunes, it became apparent that I wasn't missing anything, but gaining plenty from the change.

Comment

The initial setup of iTunes has always asked if you wish it to manage your music library. Same with iPhoto.

Comment

Wasn't talking to you, LL. Read all the posts below. Many of them mention not wanting to install iTunes. Those guys sound like they're afraid that they'll get "hooked" on the Kool Aid. That was my reference.
                  And you sound like a stark raving fanboy. So what if people don't want to install iTunes on their computer? As zff promptly pointed out;

Originally posted by zff View Post
                  You don't have to use iTunes. Check out http://www.floola.com.
                  (Remember, this is for FREE, folks. What the heck you want for free?)
                  Yes, a FREE program meant to interface a piece of hardware that someone's already paid for. Huzzah!

I don't think Apple stock is going to go down because of the opinions of a couple of people on HT. Have no fear, MM

Comment

iTunes has some neat features as well as the negatives. I put all my songs on the PC but the Mac can access the PC's iTunes library wirelessly; sharing. I also have an Airport Express with iTunes so the music can stream to our remote speakers that are hooked up to the Airport Express.

I've seen a DJ using iTunes to choose his appropriate playlist for the event he was at. It makes more sense then lugging CDs around and having to change them out.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Heh, "fanboy"? Stark raving, huh? I'm not the one afraid of the little freebie software. The software only does what you tell it to do, allow it to do.

I never said anyone had to use it, but I did wonder why such reversion to a useful tool. The only reasoning I see in play is that it's from Apple, and once upon a time, someone installed it on their PeeCee and clicked all the buttons without reading what they were signifying.

Here we go again. Stupid Mac/PC silly wars.

Believe it, people who use Apple are very secure in their choice of a working tool. The biggest argument that anyone has come up with against my choice of computing platform is that the PC has more, better games on it. I don't dispute that.

But, I don't use my computer to play games. I use it to work and make a living. For that, my computer serves me very, very well.

Does that sound like "stark, raving" to you?

Comment

I'd recommend the iPod. Of course, as a Kool Aid drinker, you probably knew that.

It's great. My wife has the 80GB video version, and I think she loves it more than she loves her husband. I have a 30GB I still use, despite also buying an iPhone. iPods are dead simple to use, and elegantly designed. Your grandma and your grandkid can use one. Can't say the same for most alternatives.

As a gadget guy, I look at all the great stuff coming out -- Creative, Sansa, iRiver. They all do a whole lot more than an iPod, usually for less. But I only want exactly what an iPod does, they way it does it. And the integration with iTunes -- which is blissfully similar on both Mac and PC platforms -- is a big plus.

Fanboys or not, there's a reason iPods dominate the market. And it's not just the Steve Jobs RDF (Reality Distortion Field).

As for iTunes "taking over" as your MP3 player, and "taking over" the organization of your music library... this is a problem with all software (Mac or PC). Usually due to clicking your way through the install dialog boxes rather than reading the various options presented. Remember when Real wanted to take over everything on your computer? And unlike iTunes, their software sucked.

Lots of people use alternatives to iTunes with their iPods just because they get satisfaction from being contrarian. More power to 'em. But lots of people use iTunes and don't even have iPods... which I think says more about the software than the former scenario.

Seriously... I can get trying an iPod and finding it lacking. Or having needs that exceed what it offers. My friend has an iRiver Clix, and it's pretty damn cool. (I need at least 30GB, though, and the features would be a bit much for my grandma!) But deliberately choosing against something, solely because it appeals to the "in-crowd"? How can 80 percent of any demographic be the "in-crowd"? I mean, do you still start your car with a hand crank? Take a shower in a wooden tub? "Darn those newfangled refrigerators! I have ice delivered to my house every day, and I like it!"

I think it's a bit ironic to claim strong interest in a product is irrational... then turn around and use that as the justification for ruling it out. If I used "who else likes it" as a criteria in choosing things, I'd live in a cardboard box in Jersey.
                        Last edited by pzarquon; July 14, 2007, 04:58 PM.

Comment

But, I don't use my computer to play games. I use it to work and make a living.
                          That's crazy talk!

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          As for iTunes "taking over" as your MP3 player, and "taking over" the organization of your music library... this is a problem with all software (Mac or PC). Usually due to clicking your way through the install dialog boxes rather than reading the various options presented.
                          Well, there were dialog boxes, I read them, but I don't remember reading one that said "Make iTunes your default audio player". Maybe, but I don't remember it. Sadly that doesn't seem to be uncommon with some software.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek
                            Well, there were dialog boxes, I read them, but I don't remember reading one that said "Make iTunes your default audio player". Maybe, but I don't remember it. Sadly that doesn't seem to be uncommon with some software.
                            Indeed. Trust me, I hear you, I find the practice annoying, no matter what software company does it! Apple does it (be it iTunes or QuickTime). Real always did it. Even Google and Yahoo! do it... and Microsoft sure as hell does it. Download one program to do one thing, and they want to rule your entire computer.

No, I don't want your software to be my default anything, I don't want your software to start every time I start my computer. I don't want yet another stupid toolbar added to my browser. And I sure as heck don't want your icons and "partner" ads on my desktop.

And get off my lawn!

I'm just saying, iTunes doesn't have to be as annoying as you initially found it to be. Though on the other hand, I did basically give up some time ago and let iTunes have its way with me. Resistance is futile?

Comment

Download one program, and they want to rule your entire computer.
                              You mean you don't want our darling little creation to be the primary application on your machine? *sniff* You only want it as a secondary .... *sniff* ... to that other player? *snooorxx*

I'm just saying, iTunes doesn't have to be as annoying as you initially found it to be.
                              I know. My job is to beat computers into submission. I got it changed back to what I wanted but it was annoying.

Comment

I like my iPod. It looks fancy, love the wheel thingy to scroll, does everything I want it to. I have no problems with iTunes (in fact I like it, once I set it up the way I like it), and I never really understood the aversion to it (I'm a PC user). However, I do have a problem with the iPod. Maybe it's just me, but I can't figure out how to get the music on my iPod back to my computer. It's not a problem for most of my mp3s on there, but with my recent new computer purchase, I seem to have lost some of ym original mp3 files. So, I may consider buying a different mp3 player when I break this one (I always end up breaking them before they break themselves).

I had a Dell Digital Jukebox before. It worked fine, but it was kind of large, and the scrolling wheel/button thing was a bit clums to use. But I'm being picky, and I had no real problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X