iPod or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod or ?

Before long I'll probably buy myself a MP3 player. I'm debating what I should get. I'd like to put my whole collection on it. I've been using a 1MB player with changeable cards, so I've got a feel for my use of it.

The first big question: iPod or something else.

Pro: Good interface, no problems finding compatible accessories.

Con: Cost. Paying quite a bit for that partially eaten fruit logo. Minimal unit in that it lacks a built-in radio or transmitter.

Comments?

Re: iPod or ?

I would also like to know. iPod doesn't appeal to me because I really don't want to install iTunes.

http://dapreview.net/zune_vs_ipod_vs_zvm.html

Here is a comparison of Zune, iPod, and Creative Zen.

Comment

A player from i-river served me well until I changed to iPod.

I held out getting an iPod for quite some time. I missed the first gen ui (I'm a sucker for touch sensitive glowy lights). However, the clickwheel is pretty good. For my i-river player, I had to flick the rotary wheel, bring my thumb up and flick it again and then again to scroll through my library. With the clickwheel, I just rub around in a circle; clockwise to scroll down and counter to scroll up. Speed sensitive too so the faster you spin, the library will then scroll through alphabetically instead of individual songs/albums/artists. That was a marked upgrade from what I had to do previously.

iTunes music syncing also was very easy. Just had to add my stuff to the Library and/or rip my CDs then connect my iPod to my computer. Back then, there weren't many super easy to use software. I haven't kept up with the latest because I'm happy with what I have, but if players, and their syncing software, have improved then go for which ever is most affordable.

The i-river player I had did include radio, but I never missed it. I may not have a huge library, but with over 1500+ songs, I rarely used the radio. It was novelty for me. I did however, really missed the graphical remote. I had to buy the remote for the iPod but it just had controls and no LCD. I found it pretty convenient to keep my i-river clipped to my belt or in my backpack and just use the remote when I wanted to switch albums or playlists, etc. No can with the iPod (unless they released a graphical remote?).

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
        A player from i-river served me well until I changed to iPod.
        Ah, someone who has owned both. Why the switch? Any regrets?

Comment

I have a little iRiver right now, 512MB, and I really don't have many complaints about it. It's about the size of a D battery and runs off AAAs. I like that it came with a lanyard so I just sling it around my neck, easy access and I don't have to worry about losing it in a bag or a pocket. I love that it has a built in mic and recording feature. Unfortunately it only works with Windows Media Player, and I just switched over to Mac, so I plan on getting an iPod once I have the funds.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I have two 1GB players, a Creative Zen Nano Plus, and a Sansa c140.

But my desires and uses for a player are not typical - I don't use them to store a lot, only to dump a few discs onto at a time, listen to them all the way through while on foot or on the bus, then dump 'em and load something else.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Ah, someone who has owned both. Why the switch? Any regrets?
              Other than losing the graphical remote, no regrets in switching to iPod. Of course, I like to blame the switch for causing the halo effect. :P

The ease of use with the iPod, even when I did sync it with a Windows PC, was what really made me firmly entrenched with the iPod. But like I mentioned, I didn't use the radio on the i-river much so I didn't miss it. If that's an important feature, then I'd say an i-river or any other player that has radio is fine. Back when I had the other player, it was a slight hassle to get songs on it. I'm sure nowadays that's a different story but I'm happy with my iPod and don't see a need to switch again (besides possibly the iPhone).

The eventuality of me having to ship my iPod off to Apple to get the battery replaced is a negative. But I'm betting by the time the battery doesn't hold enough charge a better alternative will be out and about.

Comment

I don't follow the in-crowd. No iPod for me.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The eventuality of me having to ship my iPod off to Apple to get the battery replaced is a negative.
                  Sure?

But why did you switch in the first place? Did it die?

Just as a note for the others, I'll looking at a hard drive based unit. 30GB at least. I may go for the 80GB.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Sure?

But why did you switch in the first place? Did it die?

Just as a note for the others, I'll looking at a hard drive based unit. 30GB at least. I may go for the 80GB.
                    Sorry, I've got a 60Gig Video iPod so no manual replacing the battery for me, unless I want to chance it blowing up. :P

I switched because I wanted to see for myself what the hype was. I didn't know how easy it was to use until I got one. My i-river was still going strong when I switched.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                      iPod doesn't appeal to me because I really don't want to install iTunes.
                      You don't have to use iTunes. Check out http://www.floola.com.

Comment

There's also Songbird, an open-source iTunes replacement.

Comment

Sorry, I've got a 60Gig Video iPod so no manual replacing the battery for me, unless I want to chance it blowing up. :P
                          CompUSA only goes upto 4th Gen. But you can find 5th Gen here.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                            You don't have to use iTunes. Check out http://www.floola.com.
                            Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                            There's also Songbird, an open-source iTunes replacement.
                            In fact here's a list of 10 Alternatives to iTunes for managing your iPod.

Comment

Practical concerns forced me to get a new phone to satisfy my appetite for tunes on the go. Honest. Well, the random bulges in my work khakis caused by carrying around a phone and pda got old real fast anyway.

The ability to listen to music, watch movies, take/make calls, check e-mails and post on Hawaii Threads all on one device made the purchase a no-brainer for me.

Although I love Macs, I don't much care for iPods/iTunes. My toys, er, tools need to be able to do more than a few things to keep me happy.
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                              X