This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

MJ--love the catfish! My brother ran from a turtle he caught once...soon as he pulled it onshore he was outta there!

Jim, I echo cyns' words...the gecko pics are just beautiful. (BTW, were you on the side of Kaukonahua yesterday?)

Mel, I love the Queen Mary portrait. She is elegant, eh?

I just enjoy this thread so much. Thanks to all!

Comment

Nice catch of the clouds, MJ.

I used to do a lot of staged photography like this back in college. I'm trying to get back into it since I'll be starting school again in the fall. Two of my favorite things; rats and pocketwatches.

Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

An old friend I grew up with in South Dakota came to visit for about 9 days. So here are some of the things we saw and did. I've decided to post a number of them. Many are simply documentary shots, but I think they tell the story and I think HT'ers on the mainland might enjoy them. Had to take him up to the North Shore to see the surf spots and sights. On the way back we stopped at Fumis shrimp stand. I had the Coconut Shrimp. Highly recommended. Ono! Next, we swung over to Honolulu and up to the Tantalus overlook.

Comment

Then down to Waikiki at sunset. One morning we went to the Waikiki Aquarium.

Comment

More from the Aquarium.

Comment

Another group of Aquarium shots. More tomorrow.

Comment

Jim, have you thought about self-publishing a coffee table book of your all time hits? I'd buy it.

Comment

God, I get all teary eyed missin' Oahu...

Great work, Jim. As always!

I need to get out and shoot, nothing has really been inspiring though, and I feel like it shows in more of my recent work...
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Breathtaking work Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      I need to get out and shoot, nothing has really been inspiring though, and I feel like it shows in more of my recent work...
                      Yeah, it's tough when you don't feel inspired. Maybe instead of trying to shoot carefully, you can take a bunch of silly shots, and be pleasantly surprised by an accident?

I spent half a day walking up and down Kaimuki taking pictures (while waiting for my car to be serviced). After a lot of sweat and a really sore foot, I'm not terribly happy with my shots.

But I am happy w/ a lot of things which can't be captured in a photo: the things I did to get those shots, which took me out of my comfort zone.

1) While crossing a street I noticed how wide and open it felt (something rare in our crowded island). An hour later I came back to the same street and stood at the intersection like an idiot and feeling self conscious. When the crossing light came on AND there were no cars on that street, I walked to the middle, knelt, and tried to get a few interesting shots.

2) I walked around the Chaminade University campus for the first time. Lived near it for a decade, but never had a reason to visit it.

3) I saw an man picking rubbish off the curb with of all things, a pair of chopsticks. I had just put my camera away in my bag, and I was feeling self conscious about pulling it out. I walked away, scolding myself for not having my camera out (I was in an area where I didn't want to be seen carrying a camera, but all in all probably not a very dangerous area). Then I scolded myself for not having the guts to just pull my camera out, so I walked back to where the guy was and took some pictures from a distance. Later I approached him to see if he wanted to talk, but he wasn't interested. He was looking at the camera in my hands. Perhaps I should have shouldered it, to look less threatening.

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Thanks Tutusue, Tat, and Barry. I like the idea of putting together a coffee-table book. There are a lot of photographers in Hawaii that are much better than me, but maybe there's a niche I could fill.

MJ, That first pic is really strong with the turning arrows from a vantage you never really get to see. I suppose the guy is using chop sticks so he doesn't have to touch stuff. Kind of a neighborhood clean-up project maybe.

We went to Pearl Harbor one morning. The 30 minute movie you watch before they take you to the memorial is very moving. It was interesting to see where it all went down, kind of imagining the ships and planes and explosions.

The first pic is the USS Missouri. Second is inside the Arizona Memorial. Third a steam powered torpedo.

Comment

Last Saturday we took the Hawaii Superferry from Honolulu to Kahului, Maui. I've included as the first pic a shot of the ferry from Waikiki to give an idea of size for those who haven't yet seen it. It's a very big boat.

We took off in the dark and as you may recall last weekend was very windy. When we got out into the channel between Oahu and Moloka'i, the sea was a little rough. Being from a landlocked place, I don't have too much frame of reference. But I've been on Ferry's several times in Pugeot Sound and crossing the English Channel and never experienced anything even remotely like this. It was very exciting. The bow of the ship would go up and the wave seemed to pick the whole ship up and eventually you'd be on top of the wave and the weight would shift and the bow would drop down into the trough of the wave. Smack! It'd hit the water. You could hear it and feel it. Getting up to walk around you had to hang on to anything you could reach. Once it kind of launched up and then dropped from under me and I was weightless for a second. It was a blast. After a while it settled down and was pretty easy going.

On Sunday, we came back to the Ferry Terminal and they told us the weather was so bad the Ferry was cancelled. They put us up in the Maui Beach Hotel, which turned out to be a perfectly decent place to stay. They also gave each of us a $25 voucher for food at the Hotel restaraunt.

So Monday we show up again and it's a go. This time we sailed at about 11am. It was bumpy coming out of Maui and then it got rough pretty much like it was coming over. One time the bow went up and when it came down it was very close to having water come over the bow. Not a lot, but take a look and the size of that boat and imagine what it had to be like for that to occur. There were numerous occassions when the boat would get up on top of a wave and then it would pivot a few degrees. I wondered if it was the captain doing a steering manuever or if when the boat was just right on top of the wave it was vulnerable to being pushed by the wind. Likanui, any thoughts on that. It felt like it was pivoting in-place from the center of the boat. Anyway, the aquatic rodeo eventually smoothed out and it was back to Oahu. Big fun!

I've included some pics for inside the boat. The Superferry website doesn't really show you much so some may be interested if you've been thinking of riding it. For $19 extra, each way, you can sit in the luxury lounge up front. The main advantage is you can see what's going on in front of the boat. It was very nice, but the lounges in the back were also very nice and would've been fine. The second pic is the luxury lounge up front. The third is the lounge in the back. There are also sections of seating along the sides. In the center are some shops. On Tuesday, I was at work, sitting at my computer, and a couple of times I could still feel my brain trying to adjust to the motion of the ship.

Comment

Moloka'i was a little hazy on the way over and more so on the way back. It's big and mountainous. Seeing it made me want to go there. The first two shots are on the way over. The third is on the way back.

Comment

When we got to Maui, we went to Lahaina and then on to Hana. The road to Hana is very beautiful. Dense vegetation and waterfalls. The second pic is a stand of what I'm guessing are eucalyptus trees. The third is what the top of a bamboo forest looks like. Underneath is a thick system of bare bamboo stalks.

Comment

Since we had an extra day on Maui, we went back into Lahaina. Wandering around the waterfront, this woman coaxed us to take a rubber raft to see the whales. Since I'm Kama'aina, it was $30 each for two hours, a bargain at twice the price. The crew took us and about 5 others out at 4pm and we saw lots of whales. Cows, calves, Escourts. The first pic is from behind the captain. The second is a single humpback whale's back. The third is the fluke as the whale dives down.

Comment

Working...
                                X