Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little Black House Ants in DROVES!

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    If you kill the workers, and not the queen, she will make NEW workers. Ad infinitum.
    Go after the worker ants enough and it does make a difference.

"We may take it then that an army without its baggage-train is lost; without provisions it is lost; without bases of supply it is lost." -- Sun Tzu

The other ideas here sound more efficient, though.

Comment

Re: Weekend Update!!!!!~!

Borax, sugar, 2 weeks, no change.
      Added Terro (a borax compound they seem to be attracted to), no change.
      They keep coming and coming and coming.
      I have millions of billions of ants, eating from my ant baits, coming back, (I guess, or they're newborns) and recycling again and again and again and... arrrrggghhhhh!
      Two weeks - not enough time. We battled them for years...but it took about six months of CONSTANT vigilance in keeping the traps filled, before we saw a dramatic drop-off in their numbers. You are probably dealing with multiple nests, so you'll be killing them off one by one.

Comment

Little Black House Ants, Little Black House Ants.... driving me nuts...

Got some new 'bait;' from a company in China. Seems they are LOVING it! But they keep coming.

Threw away all our cassette tapes, infested. Most of our VHS tapes, too. Lucky I could clean off the CDs and DVDs. Almost every day I find a new nest, eggs and everything. They have the house surrounded. All our tropical flowers, fruit trees, etc., are infested. Can't sell flowers or even GIVE them away.

Brush by a plant in the garden and pick up a dozen ants on your clothes, and they BITE!

Down in to the back yard and see trails and trails and trails, millions of billions....

Beware. They are here now, but they are coming YOUR way soon.

Good luck.

K - den.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Little Black House Ants, Little Black House Ants.... driving me nuts...

Down in to the back yard and see trails and trails and trails, millions of billions....

Beware. They are here now, but they are coming YOUR way soon.
          Least you didn't call 'em "haole ants..."

Comment

Re: Little Black House Ants, Little Black House Ants.... driving me nuts...

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Least you didn't call 'em "haole ants..."
            Hmmmm. You think if I do, maybe they'll go back home?
            ~ ~

Comment

We have ecolabs come out and spray around the baseboards... it lasts about 6 months... they use Pyrethin made from wild flowers... knocks the buggahs out!
              We have also used RAID, and it works also!
              http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Mahalo Nui Loa!

I can handle 6 months.... better than what I get....

(he, he, just squashed another one!)
                ~ ~

Comment

PROGRESS - Reducing numbers....

I learned earlier that a mild soap solution would kill them. Windex too expensive, etc., but I got one garden sprayer, put in 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent per gallon, and sprayed my flowers (they love red gingers and other nectar-producing flowers), and they are dying. New ones come to replace them, but the numbers are reduced.

This, plus the baits, maybe... just maybe.....

I understand they are infesting all of Kahalu`u, from Temple Valley on up to ???? Not yet down to Haiku, but they will be....

Get prepared.
                  ~ ~

Comment

NEW weapons against alien attack ants!

Great News!

After spending $9 a bottle on "Orange Guard" and countless bucks on other remedies which only act temporarily, I think I found a new, effective spray: Peppermint Oil Soap!

Yep, the same old "Doctor Bronner's Supermild Pure Peppermint Oil Soap" with all the quasi religious sayings all over the label, still available in health-food stores, relatively inexpensive, not only KILLS the little buggers on contact, it keeps them from coming back!

For how long, I don't know yet. So far it's two weeks. Expen$ive Orange Guard only lasted 1 week.

People up here are having their houses fumigated every 2 months, it's so bad. Flower vendors go out and have to soak their flowers in a mild soap solution for several hours and then rinse thoroughly to market them. Their margin is small enough already.

Good luck! They will be coming to a wall near you, SOON!
                    ~ ~

Comment

Keep fighting the good fight! Looks like you are finally making some headway. Sorry 'bout the media...

Comment

Re: NEW weapons against alien attack ants!

Great News!

After spending $9 a bottle on "Orange Guard" and countless bucks on other remedies which only act temporarily, I think I found a new, effective spray: Peppermint Oil Soap!

Yep, the same old "Doctor Bronner's Supermild Pure Peppermint Oil Soap" with all the quasi religious sayings all over the label, still available in health-food stores, relatively inexpensive, not only KILLS the little buggers on contact, it keeps them from coming back!

For how long, I don't know yet. So far it's two weeks. Expen$ive Orange Guard only lasted 1 week.

People up here are having their houses fumigated every 2 months, it's so bad. Flower vendors go out and have to soak their flowers in a mild soap solution for several hours and then rinse thoroughly to market them. Their margin is small enough already.

Good luck! They will be coming to a wall near you, SOON!
                        ooo it's sold at star market too. thanks for the tip - gonna try this on the trails in the front yard

Comment

Still having good luck with peppermint oil soap. At least it is better than anything else I have tried (my S.O. is against pyrethien 'poisons') so far. Kills better than Orange Guard and keeps them away until the solution is rinsed off!!! And, it's only soap.

Now, to find a way to demolish the home nests! Both of the liquid ant baits attract them, but don't destroy the queen.....

Darwin, where are you now that we need you?
                          ~ ~

Comment

Great News!

I think I found a new, effective spray: Peppermint Oil Soap!

Do you think this will work on aphids? I have a big infestation on my cabbages. I have tried different detergents, with no luck. I wonder if the Dr. Bronner's is non-toxic... I was planning on eating those cabbages. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                              Do you think this will work on aphids? I have a big infestation on my cabbages. I have tried different detergents, with no luck. I wonder if the Dr. Bronner's is non-toxic... I was planning on eating those cabbages. Thanks for your time.
                              It's labeled as "Castile Soap" with Peppermint Oil, containing: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut and Organic Olive Oils (w/ retained glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Jojoba Oil, Peppermint Oil, Mentha Avensis Extract, Citric Acid, and Vitamin E.

It IS an eye irritant, but seems non-toxic otherwise. Be sure to rinse your veggies before cooking....
                              I'd recommend trying it on ONE cabbage first, as some soaps, upon sun exposure, may burn leaves. Let us know!!!
                              ~ ~

Comment

Put oatmeal down for the ants. They take it home, eat it but can't digest it and so they go to 'ant heaven.'

For aphids, blackfly etc. Boil rhubarb leaves and ciggie stumps (the ones with filters) After an hour strain the mixture and put it into a spray can.
                                Make sure that you wear plastic gloves and have no cuts on your hands. This stuff can be dangerous. Wash any lettuce, cabbage etc. really well to get the nicotine, rhubarb mixtue off.

Comment

Working...
                                X