Haleakala downhill bike riding halted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haleakala downhill bike riding halted

I am very very relieved that there is a moratorium on downhill bike tours on Haleakala after the 3rd fatality last week.

Personally, I can think of better ways to spend the nearly $100 it costs for one of these trips that are way less dangerous. For years, these tours have tied up traffic on the 2-lane road that runs through Haleakala National Park (and that my grandpa helped build in the 1930's). Going up to view the sunrise at the top of the crater is now a test of endurance because there are so many people crowded into a small area.

Tip for people who want to visit Haleakala: don't wake up at 2:30 a.m. (if you're staying in Lahaina) just so you can make it to the top by 4:30 or 5 to see the sunrise. Go in the middle of day when there's no traffic and see the sunset. It's just as spectacular, and you won't have to deal with the busloads and vanloads of other people.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Haleakala downhill bike riding halted

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    I am very very relieved that there is a moratorium on downhill bike tours on Haleakala
    HOORAY!!! That's long overdue, and I actually hope they make it a permanent ban.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Instead of banning it, make a simple requirement:

You can only ride down if you pedaled up!

Comment

Or have seperate path for the bicycles.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Or have seperate path for the bicycles.
          That'd be an engineering feat...a lot of that winding road has no place on the sides of the road for a car to even pull over, so a bike trail would be tough to build. The moratorium stops the downhill bike tours, but I don't think it stops individual bicyclists from making that same trip (but it does put them at very dire peril because they don't have any chase vans following them if they get in trouble).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

We were there last month and we went up at about 8:30 a.m. It was great, nearly deserted and most of the bikes had already gone down by then. Sunset sounds like an EXCELLENT idea!

But yes, it's quite frightening. I wouldn't do it. When we were there, we saw lots of competitive riders training, mostly going up from as far as Kahului. Now those guys I wouldn't sweat. Even my husband would like to do it (he rides). Frankly, I can't rest when he's out riding. It's dangerous even for the best of riders, let alone these once-in-a-life-time vacationers. I like surfing down a wave, and even that can hurt sometimes. Who needs road rash or worse?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

"ABOUT TIME", the amount of bikes coming downhill is just too much after sunrise. There is no limit to bike tours on Haleakala and accidents and death was bound to happen. Amazing how many tour vans (bikes) are up there every morning. I`m sure alot of Up-country folks stay happy now!
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Yaaayyyy! Personally, I have never had any desire to see sunrise from anywhere, let alone someplace that takes several hours to get to. But I know those bikes have caused all kinds of issues - not to mention the danger. Never could understand the draw of that.

Comment

In those deadly accidents, the people I pity are the innocent drivers heading up Haleakala who have zero responsibility for some idiot bicyclist swerving in front of them and getting hit. Those innocent drivers have to live the rest of their lives knowing they killed someone.
                  The fact that it wasn't their fault is almost zero consolation to them.
                  How sad.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I have been on the downhill bike rides in 1984 (Cruiser Bob Downhill tours) with my older brother and in the early 1990s (forgot the firm's name) with my wife---both times with very good supervision (as they always would tell us 'safety first') with radio equipped front leader and rear van support. They will communicate and tell the riders when to pull over so that vehicles could pass without any problems---there were several places to do so safely.

Back then (don't know about now), the bikes were single speed cruiser bikes with heavy-duty brakes.

I'm kind of sorry that they will be banning the rides coming down--it was a GREAT experience---even for the healthy persons who hardly rode bicycles (like my brother and my wife)!

Comment

HG that was when there was probably one company doing the tours. Now there are several companies doing the tours. It's a pain in the ass going up to Haleakala and back down in a car now.

I don't think there was much pedaling involved in going downhill was there.
                      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
                        I have been on the downhill bike rides in 1984 (Cruiser Bob Downhill tours) with my older brother and in the early 1990s (forgot the firm's name) with my wife---both times with very good supervision (as they always would tell us 'safety first') with radio equipped front leader and rear van support. They will communicate and tell the riders when to pull over so that vehicles could pass without any problems---there were several places to do so safely.

Back then (don't know about now), the bikes were single speed cruiser bikes with heavy-duty brakes.

I'm kind of sorry that they will be banning the rides coming down--it was a GREAT experience---even for the healthy persons who hardly rode bicycles (like my brother and my wife)!
                        Bike tours have gotten out of hand. I went to the sunrise with my friends about a year ago. Too many bike tour companies all around the area. I mean I couldn`t believe how much companies had. The amount of tour companies up their unbelieveable.
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                          HG that was when there was probably one company doing the tours. Now there are several companies doing the tours. It's a pain in the ass going up to Haleakala and back down in a car now.

I don't think there was much pedaling involved in going downhill was there.
                          Try 7 bike tour companies, plus the individual bikers who travel on their own down that road. Two of the companies are also licensed to carry non-biking passengers, so they will still be able to take tourists up Haleakala to see the sunrise. The other 5 are SOL unless they sue the National Parks, because their licenses are being terminated as of Oct. 10.

Miulang

Comment

Aw. That sounded like something fun to do. Hope they get things worked out. But I can understand how it could have gotten out of hand and mess.

Seems to be a problem we have in Hawaii. If it's good, it gets overcrowded.

Comment

Got some info from sunrise tour drivers. Seem the bike companies are trying to set up a deal in which the sunrise tour company would take their people up to the summit for sunrise. After sunrise take them down to the 7000 ft. elavation where they would begin there bike tour, since the bike tours are banned from the Nat`l Park. Will keep you posted if any more info becomes avail. OGGBOY
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                              X