No announcement yet.

Kauai, Maui, or Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help. Yes I am from Chicago and the cold and rain is really getting to me. I guess I want the island with the warmest weather, most beutiful beaches, and least amount of rainfall (everyone's dream). I am still deciding but am leaning towards Oahu and living around Lanikai beach. I want a job in tourism until I finally get one as a police officer or firefighter. Anyway, anyone know what the best beach to have a job in tourism would be?
    Last edited by Nicholas; February 21, 2007, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Re: Made up my mind

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
      [...]I would prefer to work for somewhere on the beach. I am not sure how long it will take me to get the job. However, my mind is set on this goal and I am starting to take action. Also, I would probably have to take a trip to Hawaii and visit the islands so I can check out the apartments and which location I would most like to work. Chances are it will be Honolulu and possibly either Lanikai beach or Waikiki beach.[...]
      Ummm...what kind of income producing activity do you plan for Lanikai Beach? As for Waikiki Beach, you'll have stiff competition from the locals. My only advice is to stay flexible and save lots and lots of money!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Ummm...what kind of income producing activity do you plan for Lanikai Beach? As for Waikiki Beach, you'll have stiff competition from the locals. My only advice is to stay flexible and save lots and lots of money!
        Haha! I was thinking the same thing. I doubt there's many civil servants living near Lanikai beach unless they've been there for generations. I had a girlfriend that grew up there 3 doors from the water. It was the first beach I ever saw on my first trip to Hawaii about 20 years ago. What a childhood she must have had. Sweet.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Re: Kauai, Maui, or Oahu?

Originally posted by Keith H. View Post
          My grandma lives a short walk from Takamiya, but I wonder where she gets the stuff that Ooka would have had (unless my uncle drives her to Kahului). I wonder if anything will go in where Ooka used to be...
          Byron Ooka decided to give up the market and it's being turned into a senior health center. In the old parking lot across the street from where Ooka was (and the site of the old Nashiwa Bakery) is now a senior housing complex. It's ironic that they have a place for some seniors to live and medical facilities right next door, but no place close by for the seniors to buy any groceries!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have decided that I will be making the big move to Hawaii on the date of January 1st 2010. I will save up enough money until then and get a job in the tourism industry. I would prefer to work for somewhere on the beach. I am not sure how long it will take me to get the job. However, my mind is set on this goal and I am starting to take action. Also, I would probably have to take a trip to Hawaii and visit the islands so I can check out the apartments and which location I would most like to work. Chances are it will be Honolulu and possibly either Lanikai beach or Waikiki beach. My question is how much money do you think I need to save up for the move and trip before the big move? I have approximately three years left and am a college student at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the reply and Aloha
            Not too many beaches on Maui have a need for beachboys (except maybe Kaanapali and Wailea) and housing is very very expensive on Maui in those areas. Housing on Maui is generally more expensive than anywhere else in the State, including some parts of Oahu. You could work for one of those activities center places (the places where tourists go to buy tickets for activities). Lots of those all around the place.

To rent an apartment, you usually need first month, last month + security deposit, which could add up to a nice chunk of change, just for housing, unless you have roommates.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I will probably work at an activities agent just like you said Miulang. I recently found out that Lanikai is not really a tourist beach. That means I will almost certainly be working at Waikiki. If come in to Hawaii with a bachelors degree from Illinois state university what do you think my chances are of getting a sales activity agent job in Waikiki? I would be able to work full time until I get a officer or firefighter job. As for the apartment how much do you recommend I save up for a 1 bedroom 1 bath room in Waikiki or Honolulu? I would like an estimate for the price that would help me live comfortably until I get the job.

Comment

Nicholas...you're asking people to project 3 years down the road. With all due respect, you might want to contact a psychic for that info. I don't think anyone can tell you what your chances are in the year 2010 of getting any kind of a job regardless of the location on this earth. Times change. Who'da thought, when we all went to bed on Sept. 10, 2001, that our lives, as we knew them, would change forever the next morning. I'm not trying to be flippant...rather, realistic. Save a whole bunch of moola between now and then, hang on to your dream and re-research during early 2009.

Comment

I will probably work at an activities agent just like you said Miulang. I recently found out that Lanikai is not really a tourist beach. That means I will almost certainly be working at Waikiki. If come in to Hawaii with a bachelors degree from Illinois state university what do you think my chances are of getting a sales activity agent job in Waikiki? I would be able to work full time until I get a officer or firefighter job. As for the apartment how much do you recommend I save up for a 1 bedroom 1 bath room in Waikiki or Honolulu? I would like an estimate for the price that would help me live comfortably until I get the job.
                  You shouldn't really need a Bachelor's degree in order to get a job at one of the activity counters. You just have to be very friendly. drug-free and helpful and be gracious about taking no for an answer sometimes. You can check out the postings on the Honolulu Craigslist for some possibilities. It also has some other types of customer service jobs so you can get an idea of what the job market is like. I think there's a fairly high turnover rate for those positions (restaurant server and bar tender jobs probably pay more when you count in tips from the customers).

Maybe when you first get to Oahu, it'd be better if you shared a place with some people who already have a place (you can also find roommates on Craigslist). That would be cheaper and it would give you some people who know the area and who you might be able to hang out with until you get accustomed to living in Hawai'i. You'd probably be safe saving up at least $6-7,000 and then also have a "rainy day" fund that you don't touch at all (the equivalent of the cost of a ticket back to the Mainland if things don't work out). You can also check out Craigslist for apartments so you can get an idea of what it would cost to live in Waikiki, too.

Miulang

Comment

O.K. buddy, Now that I no where you coming from, let me tell you this. In 3 years your planning on moving to the State of Hawaii, then you better be prepared for dishing out for living expenses that goin throw you off guard. Alot of Mainlanders want the same thing you want but after a couple of months or years thet cannot hack it and end up moving back to the Mainland. We Local people and those who moved here along time ago have adjusted to inflation and sure we grumble like hell Butt, that`s what living on an Island is all about. Everything is shipped over, so we have no choice but to pay and pay we dooooo..... So if your giving yourself 3 years, why not stay informed on Hawaii`s economy, it`s People, it`s way of life. Anyway I hope you can see the picture clearly. Good Luck*****
                    OGGBOY
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

My 2¢:

If you move to Kaua'i, head for Waimea or Kekaha.
                      If you move to O'ahu, look at Ewa or Kapolei.
                      If you move to Maui, think about Lahaina or Kihei.
                      If you move to the Big Isle, head for Kona.

Of all of them, I complain about the heat in Waimea and Kekaha more than any other place in Hawai'i.

pax

Comment

eh Tita Muilang,
                        Howzit, Yeah I neva tell about Maui Lani cause I figa eh watt dey dunno no goin hurt. Anyway the Safeway dey wuz goin bill is right across Baldwin H.S.
                        But I dunno if goin happen cause get pilikia from the people in Sand Hills areas. We wen get choke rain in Nov. & Dec. that wen end up undermining the homes in Sand Hill. Wat happened is dey stay grating the land ova dea and wen the rain came, ah pau. I dunno if you no wea Kaiser Maui Lani stay, but anyway Safeway suppose to be right across from dea. Going be one trip dough if it happens. Talk about jamm up traffic along dat area. As for the bus system here I read ridership has picked up so I glad because no more Ooka and the Kupunas can get around now, so I`m glad they get trans for go shopping and do watevers....
                        OGGBOY
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                          eh Tita Muilang,
                          Howzit, Yeah I neva tell about Maui Lani cause I figa eh watt dey dunno no goin hurt. Anyway the Safeway dey wuz goin bill is right across Baldwin H.S.
                          But I dunno if goin happen cause get pilikia from the people in Sand Hills areas. We wen get choke rain in Nov. & Dec. that wen end up undermining the homes in Sand Hill. Wat happened is dey stay grating the land ova dea and wen the rain came, ah pau. I dunno if you no wea Kaiser Maui Lani stay, but anyway Safeway suppose to be right across from dea. Going be one trip dough if it happens. Talk about jamm up traffic along dat area. As for the bus system here I read ridership has picked up so I glad because no more Ooka and the Kupunas can get around now, so I`m glad they get trans for go shopping and do watevers....
                          OGGBOY
                          Hui Oggboy:
                          Das why hard, yeah? Get all kine guys who just hungry foa buy expensive kine houses anden dey no go do da homework to figga out wat was underneat where dey like build! heheheheh. But us guys know, yeah?

Oh yeah, I know da Sand Hills guys all huhu because da lots getting all undermined by what dey doing at those "Sand Hill Estates". Heh. Pretty soon dey going build right next to da graveyard! You know where all da sand they digging up going, yeah? Into the concrete for all da new condos.

Yeah, I know where the Kaiser Mento Health building is. So was going be right across the street, right at that corner then? Oweee! yeah, that would cause one major traffic jam! Bad enough when the Baldwin High School kids come tearing across Kaahumanu right there.

I was looking at the bus schedule. Too good! Next time I'm on Maui, I going ride da bus. Eh, free, yeah? At least you can go around Wailuku (Post Office and Sack 'n Save lidat) and Kahului for free. Das all I need. And I like da price, too!

You still working @ Ruby's? Next time, I going stop insai and say howzit.

Miulang

Comment

Still at Ruby`s, and make sure you let me no wen you coming home O.K. By da way, Maui Bus go all around da Island now. Even Up-Country, unreal yeah even goin get bigga kine buses coming in. As good fo da folks dat rely on public trans. As 4 da Airport, goin thru some big time change right now. It`s kinda looking like gonna be an Int`l Airport soona or later. What can we say with over 7 million tourist anually. Den day wunda y all da traffic jam-up....

LO-LO. mo betta fix 1st yeah, but as how dis guys tink....Den de like us guys go pay fo Hnl mas-transit. Come now, we get our own Pilikia......:rolle
                            OGGBOY
                            yes:
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                              Still at Ruby`s, and make sure you let me no wen you coming home O.K. By da way, Maui Bus go all around da Island now. Even Up-Country, unreal yeah even goin get bigga kine buses coming in. As good fo da folks dat rely on public trans. As 4 da Airport, goin thru some big time change right now. It`s kinda looking like gonna be an Int`l Airport soona or later. What can we say with over 7 million tourist anually. Den day wunda y all da traffic jam-up....

LO-LO. mo betta fix 1st yeah, but as how dis guys tink....Den de like us guys go pay fo Hnl mas-transit. Come now, we get our own Pilikia......:rolle
                              OGGBOY
                              yes:
                              I heard da wind wen go make all kine pilikia in da harbor too last week (or was Monday, yeah?) I bet da tourists on da cruise ship was all scared when da boat wen go break away from da pier lidat! Da Maui News said da harbormaster wen go say good thing no moa da Supaferry yet. Oddawise would be like bumpercars in da harbor because no moa nuff room foa turn around!

When Supaferry starts on Maui, you guys betta hope all da guys on da boat wit cars no stop at Kaahumanu or Maui Mall at da same time (or Costco, either). Even now, get hard time finding parking at Kaahumanu, unless you like go park in da creepy garage in da back. Da parking ova there already hamajang! Da guys from Honolulu going tink they still in Honolulu. Hahahahaha!

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; February 21, 2007, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                When Supaferry starts on Maui, you guys betta hope all da guys on da boat wit cars no stop at Kaahumanu or Maui Mall at da same time (or Costco, either). Even now, get hard time finding parking at Kaahumanu, unless you like go park in da creepy garage in da back. Da parking ova there already hamajang! Da guys from Honolulu going tink they still in Honolulu. Hahahahaha!

Miulang

Da guys from Honolulu are going to pack their stuff in their cars before they get on the Ferry, Muilang. No need to waste time in shopping malls and Costco on Maui---got enough shopping right here!

Comment

Working...
                                X