Kauai, Maui, or Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kauai, Maui, or Oahu?

I visited all three islands at least twice. I understand the living areas are different from the vacation destinations. I want to live in the warmest area in Hawaii as possible. Which island stays the warmes year round? Also which island has the lowest amount of rain fall per year? What neighborhoods on each island are the best place to live? Thanks everyone for the help.

Re: Kauai, Maui, or Oahu?

Make your fingers and Google your best friends!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Kihei on Maui is pretty warm and is college town USA

Kapahulu, or anywhere on the Leeward side (Waianae Coast) on Oahu.

Not too may warm spots on Kauai.

You want warm try living on the St. Louis Drive with a view of Downtown Honolulu.

Housing prices is what should be the deciding factor here.

Kauai is outrageously high

Oahu is as bad but you get the convenience of a large city

Maui is just as bad as Oahu.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Maui is just as bad as Oahu.
        Maui is worse than Oahu, at least for gasoline. Honolulu people are paying like $2.76/gallon (or less). Maui's average is like $3.22!

Lahaina is hotter than Kihei. At least the WIND picks up around noon in Kihei; Lahaina is constantly hot. And more crowded.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; February 20, 2007, 11:21 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Kaua'i has the wettest place on earth (Mt. Wai'ale'ale) and we do receive a lot of rain overall.

Our home prices are completely out of sight ($500,000+ for an older smallish tract home when you can find it).

Only the very rich seem to be moving here these days. I'm sure that O'ahu has a little more choice housing-wise.

Can't comment about Maui, don't know much about the housing situation there.

Comment

Hello Nicolas,
            Just wanted to give you a little info, since you already visited the 3 Islands maybe you need to check out the rest. Or if your mind is already set I`ll give you info about my Island. As mentioned previously Lahaina and Kihei are the dry sides on Maui, although Maui`s rain fall can come in 2nd next to Kauai Island. As for good neighborhoods, it all depends on what you can afford. I would suggest you get ahold of the neighborhood boards for Lahaina and Kihei for more info........
            Gas prices are another story, Honolulu gas price is down while Maui`s just keep goin and goin.
            You could also check out Central Maui, Kahului areas. Maui Lani has a great gated community with a new school coming up. This is also a dry area with tradewinds coming from the Northeast. Anyway hope this info helps...

ALOHA FROM MAUI,
            OGGBOY
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
              You could also check out Central Maui, Kahului areas. Maui Lani has a great gated community with a new school coming up. This is also a dry area with tradewinds coming from the Northeast. Anyway hope this info helps...

ALOHA FROM MAUI,
              OGGBOY
              Hui Oggboy: You neva tell him that Maui Lani is also built on one garbage dump, yeah? I heard they going put one Safeway up someplace inside there. Is that still going to happen? Now that Ooka is gone, I think some people in Wailuku have a hard time buying food because there's no place to buy groceries within walking distance except Sack 'n Save and Takamiya Market (but Takamiya has ono bento stuff).

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
                I visited all three islands at least twice. I understand the living areas are different from the vacation destinations. I want to live in the warmest area in Hawaii as possible. Which island stays the warmes year round? Also which island has the lowest amount of rain fall per year? What neighborhoods on each island are the best place to live? Thanks everyone for the help.
                Based on your criteria, let me guess...you're in the Pacific Northwest?

All three islands are pretty much the same climate-wise, with some minor differences day-to-day. If you're looking for the warmest, driest place possible on each island, choose the most southwestern point on the seashore (that would be Koloa to Waimea on Kauai; Ewa or the Leeward Coast on Oahu, or Lahaina or Kihei on Maui). Avoid the east side or anything above 500 feet elevation.

If you're looking for the warmest, driest place in ALL of Hawaii, though, I'd say seek out the Kona Coast on the Big Island. Two big mountains make a really good rainblock.
                http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H. View Post
                  Based on your criteria, let me guess...you're in the Pacific Northwest?
                  No, he's from CHICAGO!

Miulang

Comment

Not Kauai. We got enough people here.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

If you're looking for the warmest, driest place in ALL of Hawaii, though, I'd say seek out the Kona Coast on the Big Island. Two big mountains make a really good rainblock.
                      Kona get's awfully hot down by the shoreline. I love Kona !
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        No, he's from CHICAGO!

Miulang
                        Well, he's trying to escape from cold and rain, so the Northwest was my first thought. (I was there for 4 years.)

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          Now that Ooka is gone, I think some people in Wailuku have a hard time buying food because there's no place to buy groceries within walking distance except Sack 'n Save and Takamiya Market (but Takamiya has ono bento stuff).

Miulang
                          My grandma lives a short walk from Takamiya, but I wonder where she gets the stuff that Ooka would have had (unless my uncle drives her to Kahului). I wonder if anything will go in where Ooka used to be...

Comment

LOL---the last time I was in Kona (well, actually Keauhou) it was pouring rain. Four days straight.

I made great friends with the barmaid at the hotel bar, who was from Waimanalo.

Turned out just fine, but far from dry.

Comment

Made up my mind

I have decided that I will be making the big move to Hawaii on the date of January 1st 2010. I will save up enough money until then and get a job in the tourism industry. I would prefer to work for somewhere on the beach. I am not sure how long it will take me to get the job. However, my mind is set on this goal and I am starting to take action. Also, I would probably have to take a trip to Hawaii and visit the islands so I can check out the apartments and which location I would most like to work. Chances are it will be Honolulu and possibly either Lanikai beach or Waikiki beach. My question is how much money do you think I need to save up for the move and trip before the big move? I have approximately three years left and am a college student at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the reply and Aloha

Comment

Working...
                              X