Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So now that the city worker is guilty....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now that the city worker is guilty....

...of letting private trucking companies pay half of their registration fees and thus, cheating the City and County of Honolulu and the taxpayers of Honolulu out of untold thousands of dollars in uncollected fees:

Will the newspapers/t.v. media go after the REAL story and see whether the city plans to prosecute the trucking companies that were "in" on this scam for the past 17 years?

Or, will this "hard" news story also fall by the wayside like so many others?

As the cliche goes: "Only time will tell...."

City worker pleads guilty
    Brian Hamasaki cut vehicle registration fees for 17 years
    By Nelson Daranciang
    Former city employee Brian Hamasaki updated vehicle registrations at discount rates and pocketed the money for 17 years, said Chris Van Marter, deputy city prosecutor.

Hamasaki, 51, pleaded guilty yesterday to first- and second-degree theft, two counts of bribery and tampering with a government record. He also pleaded guilty to drug charges in a separate case.
    Last edited by admin; April 29, 2008, 03:43 PM. Reason: Do not cut and paste copyrighted articles. Excerpt and link only.

Re: So now that the city worker is guilty....

Of course nobody will go after a story like this. As I've said before,

THERE ARE NO INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISTS IN HAWAII.

In fact, there are better writers here at HT, than in most of the papers statewide.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      Of course nobody will go after a story like this. As I've said before,

In fact, there are better writers here at HT, than in most of the papers statewide.
      aww, that's a bit extreme! It is a good angle for a story, and I wonder if anyone will pursue it. Ian Lind also comes up with some good ideas that our investigative journalists could pursue. Resources! Not enough reporters to cover all the stories. Not enough budget to hire more reporters. They do what they can! I think you'd find that a lot of the reporters are frustrated at the challenges of their workload. They'd like to pursue the what ifs and how abouts, but...
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Maybe at least there will be something printed about it at hawaiireporter.com? I was wondering about this also and yet glad that it was someone from one of the companies he illegally helped that finally turned him in.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

True Karen, and I've noticed that with the big scams they usually keep going until someone from the inside gets mad

This scam would have kept on going had the City worker not raised his fees.

And it begs the question, did anyone else at the City and County of Honolulu know about this? Any supervisors or co-workers perhaps?

Comment

regarding my original post.... I rest my case.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
              Will the newspapers/t.v. media go after the REAL story and see whether the city plans to prosecute the trucking companies that were "in" on this scam for the past 17 years?
              If no further action is taken, it does make you wonder if any of those companies happen to be on anyone's campaign donor list.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                If no further action is taken, it does make you wonder if any of those companies happen to be on anyone's campaign donor list.
                You have a point. I think this article also gives us a window into the underbelly of Hawaii politics and power.

Who are the true power players, the untouchables.

Anyone read "Land and Power?"

Comment

For how many years did he get away with this? can't remember but the way everything's logged on computers and so easily accessed....hard to believe there was not some routine overview. I mean, c'monn, this was a city operation, and I've never heard of a govt. office that didn't have too many workers, and all of 'em always wondering if the "other guy's" really doing their job, etc.
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                    For how many years did he get away with this? can't remember but the way everything's logged on computers and so easily accessed....hard to believe there was not some routine overview. I mean, c'monn, this was a city operation, and I've never heard of a govt. office that didn't have too many workers, and all of 'em always wondering if the "other guy's" really doing their job, etc.
                    ever hear of the ewa villages scandal? or the honolulu airport maintenance rip-off?

this kind of thing happens although eventually these people get noticed by some co-worker or manager like you said. the only problem is they may get away with their schemes for years in the meantime costing taxpayers millions.

Comment

The real point I was getting at, is whether the City and County of Honolulu (Prosecutors Office) will actually go after the companies who now apparently owe the taxpayers untold amounts of money.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        I would disagree that there are NO investigative journalists in Hawai‘i. Jim Dooley (Honolulu Advertiser), Keoki Kerr (KITV4) and Rob Perez (Honolulu Advertiser) come to mind. Then you have one-hit wonders like Malia Zimmerman (Hawai‘i Reporter) who some would say could be an investigative journalist, if not for her not-to-subtle bias and indy media credentials (or lack thereof) which significantly hamper such a title.

But certainly, there aren’t enough.

The real question is: why is this thread in the television section (particularly when the thread author cites an SB story)? Obviously, the best opportunity for investigative journalism is in the print media, where high-risk investigations don’t require a “hidden camera.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          The real question is: why is this thread in the television section (particularly when the thread author cites an SB story)?
                          And now the thread is in its new home!
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                          X