Road to Hana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Road to Hana

The road to Hana must be enjoyed by everyone - kama`aina and malahini alike! I get to Hana at least once a month-sometimes I make the drive from Kahului other times I fly directly into Hana....just depends on my mood...but if you have the time and the patience I say drive yourself in....the scenery is beautiful and taes my breath away every SINGLE time....you can stop and smell the flowers - the gingers are breathtaking, the puakenikeni just wonderful...not to mention the lilikoi and guava along way (among other fruits).

The road past Hana, into Kipahulu and Ohe'o is open. The temporary bridge was installed and it's passable...once in Kipahulu also visit John and Tweetie Lind at Kapahu, it's a living, working, breathing farm....with acres of taro and a beautiful waterfall to hike to and swim in...the waterfall is breathtaking. Here's the website: http://kipahulu.org/. Say hello to Uncle John and Aunty Tweetie...tell them T.J. (that's me!) says hello and I can't for Taro Festival (http://tarofestival.org/).

Once you're out that way, go a little more and visit the pools of Ohe'o. I'm not sure if the hiking trail to the waterfall on the mauka side is open, but it's just beautiful! Take some kind of mosquito repellant though...the mosquitos are quite hungry up there. On that side of the street you will find guava, purple plums, and just a whole lot of God's work going on.....But cross the road to the makai side and stop in at the ranger station to check on trail conditions before you continue on.....the ranger there is very knowledgable about that valley and he loves to share this knowledge.

Can you tell that I love Hana???????? While in Hana visit Hana Bay, you just might catch a fishing boat coming in with some akule or maybe a diver or 2 has some lobster as well. There's also a museum on the mauka side of Hana Bay and of course you must take a walk up to Fagan's Cross....yes, the groceries and food is a little pricey, but how often will you get to Hana??????

Enjoy!

Comment

The road to Hana must be enjoyed by everyone - kama`aina and malahini alike! I get to Hana at least once a month-sometimes I make the drive from Kahului other times I fly directly into Hana....just depends on my mood...but if you have the time and the patience I say drive yourself in....the scenery is beautiful and taes my breath away every SINGLE time....you can stop and smell the flowers - the gingers are breathtaking, the puakenikeni just wonderful...not to mention the lilikoi and guava along way (among other fruits).

The road past Hana, into Kipahulu and Ohe'o is open. The temporary bridge was installed and it's passable...once in Kipahulu also visit John and Tweetie Lind at Kapahu, it's a living, working, breathing farm....with acres of taro and a beautiful waterfall to hike to and swim in...the waterfall is breathtaking. Here's the website: http://kipahulu.org/. Say hello to Uncle John and Aunty Tweetie...tell them T.J. (that's me!) says hello and I can't wait for Taro Festival (http://tarofestival.org/).

Once you're out that way, go a little more and visit the pools of Ohe'o. I'm not sure if the hiking trail to the waterfall on the mauka side is open, but it's just beautiful! Take some kind of mosquito repellant though...the mosquitos are quite hungry up there. On that side of the street you will find guava, purple plums, and just a whole lot of God's work going on.....But cross the road to the makai side and stop in at the ranger station to check on trail conditions before you continue on.....the ranger there is very knowledgable about that valley and he loves to share this knowledge.

Can you tell that I love Hana???????? While in Hana visit Hana Bay, you just might catch a fishing boat coming in with some akule or maybe a diver or 2 has some lobster as well. There's also a museum on the mauka side of Hana Bay and of course you must take a walk up to Fagan's Cross....yes, the groceries and food is a little pricey, but how often will you get to Hana??????

Enjoy!

Comment

One more thing......

It doesn't matter what size car you drive....I've driven a full-sized van, an SUV, and a compact car....it doesn't matter.....COURTESY should be a given!

Personally, I feel safer in an SUV because it's high and I can see everything...

Comment

Wow, Ms AlohaNui...great site with the panoramic views. Now I see why you love Hana so much.

Definitely putting Maui on the list for next trip.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Gotta love the drive out to Hana. I usually stay with the Ohana in Ko`ale or Maka`lae. Getting away from the stress just for a little bit, this is the place to unwind..............
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Another wonderful person from Hana.....

This was held yesterday, 3.21.07, and honored Uncle Eddie Pu of Kipahulu...just another beautiful person to visit in Hana, Maui....

Maui park ranger, musicians to be honored at Capitol

Advertiser Staff

Former Haleakala National Park Ranger and Maui lifeguard Eddie Pu will be honored by the state House of Representatives today along with the performers and producers who worked together on the Grammy award-winning album, "Legends of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar — Live from Maui."
              Pu and the album participants will be recognized on the House floor with a presentation at noon and both will be honored from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the fourth floor of the state Capitol by the Legislature's Hawaiian Caucus.

Comment

I love Hana too...just take it slow and enjoy the views.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by alohabear; March 22, 2007, 01:10 PM.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X