Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kauai, Maui, or Oahu?

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    Da guys from Honolulu are going to pack their stuff in their cars before they get on the Ferry, Muilang. No need to waste time in shopping malls and Costco on Maui---got enough shopping right here!
    Ahhh, but the ONLY Krispy Kreme store in the entire state (by the airport) only has parking for about 10 cars!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Ahhh, but the ONLY Krispy Kreme store in the entire state (by the airport) only has parking for about 10 cars!

Miulang

LOL---okay, ya got me there!

Comment

Da guys from Honolulu are going to pack their stuff in their cars before they get on the Ferry, Muilang. No need to waste time in shopping malls and Costco on Maui---got enough shopping right here!
        And cheaper stuff here on O`ahu, too!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Oggboy

Thanks man. I have read all over that plenty of peope move to the islands and move back to the mainland within a few months or a couple years. The most is usually 5 years. I do not want this to be me. I want to live on the island for life. Do you have any suggestions that can help me get started? I am aware of the shipping costs and all that. I do not live a hectic lifestyle and can live comfortably on a tight budget, provided I am happy where I am. Any helpful tips you can pass my way for preparing the big move in 3 years (2010) will be helpful. I am here to learn and want to do whatever it takes to make Hawaii my future PERMENANT home.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            And cheaper stuff here on O`ahu, too!

So besides KK, you guys going finally be able to taste guri guri, Komoda cream puffs, Sam Sato dry mein and all da onolicious food that make Maui no ka oi Save up extra kala, too, for da extra money going cost you to drive on Maui (most of it will be wasted while creeping along in traffic jams).

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              So besides KK, you guys going finally be able to taste guri guri, Komoda cream puffs, Sam Sato dry mein and all da onolicious food that make Maui no ka oi Save up extra kala, too, for da extra money going cost you to drive on Maui (most of it will be wasted while creeping along in traffic jams).

Miulang
              And you guys are going to finally be able to have Liliha Bakery Coco Puffs, Beard Papa cream puffs, go to the zoo, the museums, the restaurants, enjoy the night life, the festivals, etc.

Traffic sucks here too, especially at rush hour. Just avoid rush hours and you should be fine, most likely.

Works both ways. I bet that not all folks from the nieghbor islands are horrified at the thought of travelling to Oahu. ;-D
              Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; February 22, 2007, 02:38 PM.

Comment

And you guys are going to finally be able to have Liliha Bakery Coco Puffs, Beard Papa cream puffs, go to the zoo, the museums, the restaurants, enjoy the night life, the festivals, etc.

Traffic sucks here too, especially at rush hour. Just avoid rush hours and you should be fine, most likely.

Works both ways. I bet that not all folks from the nieghbor islands are horrified at the thought of travelling to Oahu. ;-D
                That's true. But I'd rather get there sooner rather than later (especially if it costs about the same) and rent a car so I don't wreck my car driving in Waikiki!

Us "country bumpkins" can't take too much of the city life. The ONE thing I know people on Maui will want is MANAPUA and pepeau from Honolulu. The only place that sells those things on Maui now are the 7-11s!

Miulang

Comment

O.k. Lived on Oahu, in Kalihi and Waipio so I know what Honolulu City Life is all about. One thing our Islands have in common is kuka pile car`s and not enough roads. Unlike Oahu, Maui real backwards, I should say da guys dat suppose to do the road planning. Population growth and Tourism have overwelmed our Islands to the max. Even though alot of our Island residents have now moved to Las Vegas because it`s cheaper. Right now we are on a flat tourist arrival season but when it changes you can tell, just by the number of accidents on the roadways. Then there is Whaling Season coming and more worse. Instead pull on the side, No!!!! Brake suddenly, stay tuned to Maui News for the latest. Anyway Pau vent... You all drive carefully you hear!!!!!
                  OGGBOY
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Howzit Nick,
                    Or do you prefer Nicholas, anyway seems like you`ve set a gaol for yourself. That will help you in the long run. Anyway, you still have to set your mind on what Island your planning on moving too! You seem to be getting alot of info from H.T so that will help you plenty. Like I said stay informed with what`s happening in the Islands to help you prepare. Don`t get me wrong, we have alot of as we call trans-plants, but they have adjusted to Island style and the people living on these Islands. So you have that time to make your move.
                    Again Good Luck, and I`ll keep you updated with info you want to know....
                    OGGBOY
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Beard Papa cream puffs
                      Just got to try those for the first time when I was there last month; recommended by the locals who work with us on O`ahu - nice stuff!

But Krispy Kreme, people? Oh, please...their doughnuts are okay, especially when warm and fresh, but whose aren't? They are a BAD company to do business with - we call 'em Krappy Kreme (shoulda put that in the thread about nicknames for businesses, ah?)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        But Krispy Kreme, people? Oh, please...their doughnuts are okay, especially when warm and fresh, but whose aren't? They are a BAD company to do business with - we call 'em Krappy Kreme (shoulda put that in the thread about nicknames for businesses, ah?)
                        Yeah, I don't see what's so hot about KK either, but the folks who visit Maui and need to take back omiyage seem to think it's a big deal (I prefer Komoda or Home Maid Bakery baked goods over KK anytime!)

Miulang

Comment

Add me to the "I don't get KK" brigade... first time I tried one I was expecting something good after all the hype, but mainly was so sweet it made my teeth hurt...

Comment

Re: Oggboy

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
                            I have read all over that plenty of peope move to the islands and move back to the mainland within a few months or a couple years. The most is usually 5 years. I do not want this to be me. I want to live on the island for life. Do you have any suggestions that can help me get started?
                            For what it's worth...

The practical challenges -- cost of living, lower wages, taxes, professional opportunities, education issues -- are very important and will be high on the list of things you will have to adjust for, yes. But in my experience, the people who come here seeking a "permanent home" like you but ultimately end up leaving in three to five years make the decision to leave based on other factors. Personality, social circles, basic life outlook. And those things are hard to get advice for, or prepare for. You just discover whether you're compatible on your own once you're here.

And frankly, there's nothing wrong with finding Hawaii not to your liking. I wouldn't put making Hawaii a "permanent home" a major life goal, frankly. You're young, you've got a lot to see and do. I wouldn't want to die without having experienced Hawaii, but I would similarly not want Hawaii to be all I'd experienced. If you leave in 2015, don't see it as a failure. Just another great chapter in your life.

Good luck!

Comment

Re: Oggboy

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              [...]but ultimately end up leaving in three to five years make the decision to leave based on other factors. Personality, social circles, basic life outlook. And those things are hard to get advice for, or prepare for. You just discover whether you're compatible on your own once you're here.[...]
                              Good point, PZ. The people I know who returned to the mainland left for one of two reasons; either 'rock fever' or unable to afford retirement in Hawaii...more the former than the latter!

Comment

Working...
                              X