Return to Hawaii Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Hawaii Threads

After many years of inactivity (since 2004), I've returned to the site I love the best. Like many of you, life, employment, and family have kept me busy--busy enough to keep me diverted from many things I used to do. I followed several threads over the years and have enjoyed keeping current on a variety of topics. Briefly, I've lived in Hawaii since my late father was stationed at Hickam AFB in August of 1959--just before statehood. I'm a graduate of Kahuku High School, the University of Hawaii (3 degrees), and a retired Air Force Officer. I've been an Amateur Radio Operator (Ham) since 1977 (Amateur Extra Class). My wife and I call Laupahoehoe (Hawaii Island) our home. My better half is a retired school librarian and often fills in for teachers at Laupahoehoe High School. I work as the news director for Pacific Radio Group (Hawaii Island) and oversee operations at nine stations broadcasting four separate program streams. I've been in the Hilo radio market since late 1976. Before that, I worked overnights and weekends at KPOI-FM (Honolulu) from 1967-1968. I am part of the original staff of KTUH-FM, University of Hawaii-Manoa, which began as a closed circuit station in 1967. When I returned from active duty in 1972, I re-joined the KTUH-FM staff and served briefly as station manager. By that time, KTUH-FM was pumping out a mighty 10-watts--those were the days. I'm fairly fluent in Russian and claim some expertise in broadcast journalism--although my listeners would debate that. I maintain a news blog for Pacific Radio Group (http://prgnewshawaii.wordpress.com) and a personal ham radio blog (http://kh6jrm.blogspot.com). That's about it from this side of the pond. I look forward to meeting all of you some day. Aloha, Russ

Re: Return to Hawaii Threads

"I'm fairly fluent in Russian"

How did that happen?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I studied Russian at UH-Manoa and continued studies while I served in the Air Force. I use the language every so often when I talk with Russian hams from my Amateur Radio Station. I really need more practice speaking the language, but I can still read most books and periodicals published in Russian. Fascinating language, especially when one can read Tolstoy and Dostoevsky in the original. Aloha, Russell

Comment

Aloha Russell!

I'm 1stwahine. See you on the boards.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hi, Russell.
          Do you remember what your HT name was years ago?
          Welcome back!

Comment

Aloha Russell. I took a few classes in Russian (both language and lit) in college, but never got anywhere near fluent. I should really find an English Learner native Russian speaker out here in the Bay Area who wants to meet and practice. Plenny Russians in SF. You like Russian poetry at all?

Comment

I'll try to answer a few questions--When I first joined HT back in 2004, I posted under the name "Russ Roberts"--my on-air news persona. As for Russian poetry, I always enjoyed Pushkin and Lermontov (from the 19th century) and Blok (from the early Soviet era--1920's). And aloha to 1stwahine as well.

Comment

Good to see you back, Russell.

Comment

Working...
                X