Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Idol, Season 10

Anyone else watch it?
    I did, mainly to see how Steven Tyler and J-Lo would do, and I thought they did just fine.
    It seems like the producers realized they need to get back to focusing on the singers and not on Simon Cowell. But none of the singers last night knocked me out.
    Also, last night's ratings were down 13% over the debut show from last year, and down over 18% in their main target of teens. I expected the numbers to be much higher due to people checking in to see Steven and J-Lo. These new ratings are a very bad sign for the program.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: American Idol, Season 10

Despite new judges (I thought they did fine also), AI is settling into the TV equivalent of "comfort food." Not that there's anything wrong with that . . .

Comment

I've been without TV for a few days so missed AI. I tend not to follow the audition shows to closely. I was listening to Dave Koz's show on KORL this afternoon and, keeping in mind he's a jazz artist, he said he wasn't impressed with ST and JL...and that he missed Simon! Because of that statement I will be sure to watch next week!

Comment

Tutu, it's on two nights a week -- Wednesdays and Thursdays.
        Tonight's show was better. There was a thin boy with long curly red hair who not only had the guts to sing Freddie Mercury, he nailed it. Excellent voice and lots of charisma; he might go a long way on AI.
        And the last performer was a brunette named Paris who sang Carrie Underwood's "Temporary Home" and nailed it. Same as above, great voice and lots of charisma, so I think she'll go far this season too.

Comment

Does Simon deep down really want AI to fall in the tv ratings without him?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Tutu, it's on two nights a week -- Wednesdays and Thursdays.[...]
            Still don't have TV. OTW's promises are for naught.

I heard today that local boy, Matthew Hashimoto, is/was in the NJ auditions. After graduating from Roosevelt in 2001, Matthew moved to the mainland to pursue his dream of becoming a dentist. He appeared in one of Oprah's singing contests a couple of years ago. He's really good. I'm relying on Jordan Segundo to keep me in the loop!

Comment

I listened to an NPR article on the new version and it was 3-0 thumbs down basically because minus a Simon the new cast shows no spine in calling it truthfully. They all give the green light to those who shouldn't have even passed the initial audition. Everybody's a star no matter how bad you are!
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I'll wait till they get to the final 12.

Comment

I watched the DVR of last night's show and was pretty impressed. Many better singers than last year.
                  Last night was auditions from Milwaukee and the strongest was a local-looking girl named Thia Megia, a 15-year-old from California. Maybe originally from here or the Phillipines.
                  There was also a 15-year-old guy named Scotty McReery with a great and very deep voice. Totally country, so that may hurt his getting votes down the line from the teenieboppers.
                  Another good one was a tall pretty blonde named Molly, who graduated from Harvard and is currently a White House intern. She has a great multi-octave range.
                  Also watch for Hailey Reinhart and Scotty Dangerfield to go pretty high in the process.
                  J-Lo is doing okay as a judge, but Steven Tyler is knocking it out of the park. Very creative and very funny! I'm much more impressed with him than I expected to be.

Comment

I'm now emotionally invested in the show...Chris Medina.

Comment

One-hour audition show from Nashville tonight. It was a yawner; most singers were average at best.
                      The easy winner for me was the last singer, Lauren Alaina, 15.
                      This show also had Jackie Wilson, 28, who had gotten some PR earlier about how the judges loved her, and they sure did. I'm not sure why they were raving so much, though.
                      Next week, they're off to Austin.

Comment

If you watch the show to be entertained by bickering, sometimes rude, and loopy judges, then you will be disappointed.

If you watch the show to be entertained by the occasional contestant who actually sings worse than you do, or by a gentle joke by a judge, then you might enjoy this season.

Although I do find it waaayyy less irritating that this season that they don't seem to be allowing airtime to tons of "fake" contestants.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          ...Chris Medina.
                          Did he sing Funky Cold Me?

Comment

So-so night of auditions from Austin, Texas. Several good singers but nobody really stood out until Case Abrams, the last guy. Great voice, great personality on stage.I can see him going far this year.

Comment

So far I'm liking the judges a lot. Case was incredible and seemed to be in his element among celebrities. And only 19. The show's format obviously saves the best contestants (be it talent or back story) for the end of each show.

BTW, Oprah had a short segment with the judges today and they discussed Chris Medina and his girlfriend and aired his audition. I got misty eyed all over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X