Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
    I think everyone is wasting their time and effort on this when there is more important issues.
    Well then bye-bye, go somewhere else if you don't like the discussion. The thread is titled "Ban New Years fireworks", if you are not interested in the discussion then DON'T SHOW UP HERE and "waste" your time.
    It is one thing to disagree, that is what threads are for (i.e. discussion), but really if you perceive it as "wasting" your time, you should simply go elsewhere.
    Last edited by Amati; January 15, 2009, 05:17 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Valenti View Post
      And if tutusue is really that concerned about the quality of the air two or three times a year - he/she should probably not drive - But, I'll bet he or she does drive.
      Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      She...
      Hey Valenti. You claim to be one Potagee born-and-raised in Honolulu, but you couldn’t figgah Tutu Sue fo’ one wahine? ‘Auwe no ho‘i. Johnny Cash may have written a song about a boy named Sue, but I still nevah went meet da buggah.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        Hey Valenti. You claim to be one Potagee born-and-raised in Honolulu, but you couldn’t figgah Tutu Sue fo’ one wahine? ‘Auwe no ho‘i. Johnny Cash may have written a song about a boy named Sue, but I still nevah went meet da buggah.
        So, is Valenti an "imposter" by claiming to be from Hawaii?
        Or is Valenti slamming da Potagees by pretending being one and not knowing a Tutu from a kane?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          An all out ban! I can dream can't I?!
          Oh, you may well get your ban.

Getting the public to go along? Now I think you're dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            [...]but you couldn’t figgah Tutu Sue fo’ one wahine?[...]
            And what about my avatar? Jeez...shoulda been obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              Well then bye-bye, go somewhere else if you don't like the discussion. The thread is titled "Ban New Years fireworks", if you are not interested in the discussion then DON'T SHOW UP HERE and "waste" your time.
              It is one thing to disagree, that is what threads are for (i.e. discussion), but really if you perceive it as "wasting" your time, you should simply go elsewhere.
              I love the discussion and everyone makes a good point, but sounds like ignorant locals that say "if you don't like it, then you can leave the island"

But i dont think a out right ban will work, hell aeriels are supposely banned but thats what lit up the oahu sky.

People should ban those morning glories and fountains and tax the aeriels.

Comment

But I don't think an out right ban will work, hell aerials are supposedly banned but that's what lit up the oahu sky.

People should ban those morning glories and fountains and tax the aerials.
                Good idea! This scenario would be a wonderful improvement and a compromise meeting half way. Well done.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

everyone makes a good point, but sounds like ignorant locals that say "if you don't like it, then you can leave the island"
                  I’m curious — how exactly does an ‘ignorant local’ sound? Is it similar to the noise of a mainland haole? Please, do enlighten me.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I love the discussion and everyone makes a good point, but sounds like ignorant locals that say "if you don't like it, then you can leave the island"
                    Were there any "Love It or Leave It" signs against Vietnam War protesters.

Comment

Aloha Everyone

After much freezing here in moldland - I have returned to bring comforty and joy to you all:

Amati – I am so sorry you missed me so much – I will try not to let it happen again.

Ron Whitfield – sometimes living means breaking the law. I know you will think my attitude high handed – and maybe it is – but, if that law is bad? If it were a little easier to change the laws, or at least arrive at some kind of compromise, perhaps I wouldn’t be so cavalier. But, as I have watched this country become ever more divided, and as I have watched old Hawaii ideas and practices clash with newer, more mainland ways of doing things, I begin to despair of ever seeing the kinds of compromises that we can all live with. Between the damage done by the thieves who have been running our government and the damage done by inflexible, rigid moral purists (AKA the religious right – BTW did you hear about the moron who has raised a ruckus about the Kansas City Zoo having a Buddha as part of their Asian geography exhibit because “it infuriates God!) I wonder if we can all ever agree on anything again.

In regard to your remarks about a general agreement about the need to ban fireworks – I am just not sure you are right. It seems to me that if there were such a consensus we would see greater neighborhood cooperation in attempts to stop fireworks scofflaws, and less general participation in the fireworks activities themselves. If one were to judge by the volume and numbers who buy and use fireworks it would be as easy to come to the conclusion that there was a statewide consensus on the need for fireworks – but, that’s juts my impression.

And to AlohaKine all I can say is YES, YES, YES!

To Tutusue (and to TuNnL as well) – first I apologize for my failure to discern your gender – I never looked at the avatar and I am afraid I have been away from home for so long that I have probably forgotten much that will come back when I do – although if your name had been posted as TUTU SUE instead of tutusue I might have gotten it. AND, despite your crack about my not comprehending what others are saying before replying – that’s not the case, just because I don’t agree doesn’t mean I haven’t heard what you said.

That said, I don’t think we are that far apart in regard to fireworks – we both believe that some kind of compromise is the best answer – but, I suspect you just don’t like my tone – despite that, I am not unsympathetic to the plight of lung patients – not to mention the elderly (one of whom is my 84 year old Mother) or the plight of dogs, cats, and many children. Nevertheless, they are not the only ones on the bus!

And, for those of you (who will remain unnamed) who seem to take this all way too seriously, I can only say, why be so rude? A good conversation and a spirited disagreement is one thing – reporting to ad hominem only shows us all what a brook trout you are. Indeed, it can be amazingly entertaining to wave the rod over the pod and see how many trout rise to the bait – Life is way too serious to take seriously. Try to relax, enjoy the conversation, state your piece and don’t get so bent out of shape, you’ll live longer.

So, I will restate my position on fireworks - a fair law of the sort that recognizes the needs, and (selfish) desires of one group does not necessarily have to exclude or ignore the needs or concerns of another - compromise and an effort to find a solution is what is needed - not a lot of ad hominem attacks about my selfishness or their health problems.

Oh yeah, like Amati, I wonder how exactly does an “ignorant local” sound?

Comment

hi this is sansei and from what i hear on tonight's news,i heard they want to ban non commericial fireworks and the chinese community disagree's is they the chinese are right that they shouldnt is it's been a tradition for year's and they imoho should keep firework's going and not take it away from people chinese or otherwise.it would be ok to ban airial firework's since once it caused a fire on my aunt's and uncle's roof in kapahulu and they had to repair it and that was once my deceased grandfather and deceased grandmother's home so it's good if they ban airial firework's.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Sansei spoke of a news story, here is a link to a news report tonight on the fireworks ban bill:

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=9719802

From the report, quoted from president of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce, Ted Li:

"You know whoever introduce a bill would not be re-elected again," said Li. "I think the people would be very upset and hate that individual that introduce the bill."

I'm not so sure about that, after following this thread. Seems like many support a ban.

Comment

Despite Amati's unusual interpretation of the thread - which appears to be pretty evenly split between thpose for and those against, I would be Mr. Li is right - Personally, I wouldn't vote for anyone who introduced a bill banning fireworks - and I don't think that vast bulk of the Chinese community would either. BTW - this blather about banning fireowrks has been around since I was small time kid - I wouldn't hold my breathe in hopes of getting a ban anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              I'm not so sure about that, after following this thread. Seems like many support a ban.
                              Originally posted by Paul Valenti View Post
                              Despite Amati's unusual interpretation of the thread - which appears to be pretty evenly split between thpose for and those against, I would be Mr. Li is right -.
                              I stand by my statement that many would support a ban, there are numerous comments in this thread in support of a fireworks ban. Is there enough support in the community and legislature to bring about a new law? Maybe, maybe not.

Comment

What is... is. Of course, but

It just seems unfair that I and others that would rather not,
                                have to put up with all that smoke, possibilities of fires, etc...
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X