Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zippy's Chili has Mayo?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I prefer sour cream. Ever had borscht? Just another vehicle for sour cream.
    I love borscht! A little creme fraiche or sour cream is all it needs.

As for with the Chili, I load on the sour cream, cheese, and crushed up saltines.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
      As for with the Chili, I load on the sour cream, cheese, and crushed up saltines.
      Substitute "onions" for saltines, and I'm there. Plus, I'm in the "no beans" camp - you want beans, you pour the chili over them.

Since we're creeping out of the woodwork on this - I admit I'm not a big fan of Zippy's chili either, but that's because I prefer it much spicier. There are a couple great chili providers in the Seattle area (used to be more), plus I make my own.

Comment

i LOVE Mayo with my chili! Yummy! That's why mac salad tastes so good with chili...or even stew! it's the MAYONAISE!

I don't eat beef, so I haven't eaten Zippy's chili in a long time....but mayo tastes just as good with Turkey chili. I even add some chocolate chips into my chili when it's simmering. Delish!
        Bitter & Sweet....all in one bite.

Comment

How about the acceptable level of rat or cockroach droppings in processed meats?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I prefer sour cream. Ever had borscht? Just another vehicle for sour cream.
            Yep! Chili with sour cream is so ono. Might be a west coast thingie...dunno, but I was raised with that combo. A friend of mine got a whopping case of food poisoning the evening after eating Zippy's chili for lunch. That was at least 13 years ago. I haven't had their chili since! No proof, of course, I'm just saying...

Comment

I dont' really like zippys chili either. I like making my own, and I love putting sour cream on it. "On it" is key, not "in it" meaning I don't mix it in so the chili becomes "light", but just dallop it on in keyh areas and take a bit while eating the chili. Just a personal odd habit of mine..
              n'importe

Comment

That's how I do it, too, Kaukura!

Comment

I had no idea either, Gene. But I have to say when I'm looking for the ultimate vice, I love a chili frank plate at the Zips, but it cost so fricken much money now. hot dog, chili, white rice, scoop mac salad should not cost more than $1.49 like a jr whopper. LOL.

My husband makes chili out of chuck, no beans, and we squeeze lime juice into it and a dollop of sour cream. Actually, that was way back before he got thin and trim. Now he's a black beans and brown rice kinda guy. Covers it with what he calls orange ketchup: Homemade hot sauce made from the scotch bonnets and other combustible peppers he has growing in the back yard!

Mayo in the chili probably gives it a rich undertone. Hmmmmm.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

So that's why Zippy's chili is so light colored!

Actually, I think the best chili is always home-made. There are so many ways of making chili. I think the worst thing about Zippy's chili is that it's viewed as the ultimate "local-style" chili, so much so that everyone tries to duplicate it, or seek similar-style chili. (I admit, I've been guilty of doing that.) But it takes away from trying more adventurous-style chili.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                      I'll probably stand alone on this and wait for the blows to follow but I hate
                      Zippy's chili. We ate it for a while many years ago and I didn't like it then.

When fund- raisers come along I just give them the money and tell them to
                      keep the chili or give it away.
                      You're NOT alone. I much prefer the chili from RAINBOW DRIVE INN. More "body" and tastier ...........

Comment

Well, it seems that everybody has a different opinion on Zippy's Chili. But whether you love it or hate it, it has to be said: Zippys must be sitting on something special, since everyone seems to compare their "favorite" chili to Zippys. Almost like their recipe is the standard by which everybody else's chili is judged by.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          everyone seems to compare their "favorite" chili to Zippys. Almost like their recipe is the standard by which everybody else's chili is judged by.
                          In Hawai`i, perhaps. Zippy's is ubiquitous there, so they have become an established "standard" just as McDonald's set the comparison point for fast-food burgers and fries for many years.

It ain't about the quality of the recipe - it's about common experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Well, it seems that everybody has a different opinion on Zippy's Chili. But whether you love it or hate it, it has to be said: Zippys must be sitting on something special, since everyone seems to compare their "favorite" chili to Zippys. Almost like their recipe is the standard by which everybody else's chili is judged by.
                            Dear Lord for me there is NO WAY I could compare any of my cuisine to
                            Zippy's but if it works for others well whatever.

Comment

i love my own chili recipe and since i can't do the mayo anymore have learned to acquire the taste of a, "dollop of daisy." add fat free or soy cheese, onions and green onions. i also like to put all of the aforesaid on a baked potato.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              reflect, repent and reboot.
                              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I'd always heard that Zippy's chili had mayo in it, too.

Tonight we had frozen Zippy's chili (from the Marukai store in Gardena... thank goodness for those guys), and here is the list of ingredients. At least, as they are listed on the side of the box.

kidney beans
                                water
                                ground beef
                                portuguese brand sausage
                                bleached enriched all-purpose flour
                                tomato paste
                                onion
                                celery
                                bell pepper
                                chili powder
                                salt
                                bacon
                                sugar
                                worcestershire sauce
                                paprika
                                sherry wine
                                monosodium glutamate
                                beef base
                                chicken base
                                spices
                                garlic
                                ginger

No mayo listed, but perhaps it falls under "spices". You never know, because I'm sure Krispy Kreme doesn't list "meth" as an ingredient but you just know it has to be in there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X