How to cook Hawaiian Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cook Hawaiian Sausage?

I apologize if this has already been addressed, I tried a board search but no luck.

The past few times I've been at the grocery store I've seen these Hawaiian/Portuguese sausages on sale, so I finally picked one up today. Only I'm not sure what to do with it. Is it like an italian sausage that I might cook with potatoes, or more of a breakfast sausage, or more like a salami?

Advice is much appreciated, thank you!
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Re: How to cook Hawaiian Sausage?

Typically it's a breakfast meat, you slice it about 1/4 inch high and fry it in a pan.

Seen it used as meat in a soup.

I don't think you serve it cold like salami (and to be honest I don't know if Portuguese saugage is a pre-cooked meat or not).

Comment

Most are precooked.

Don't forget jumbalaya and sandwiches. Anything that uses sausage in the recipe, you can sub with Portuguese sausage. Anything that might taste good with sausage, Portuguese sausage is the best.

Add it in stews, chili, baked beans, fried rice, meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, pork or beef based soups, great in omelets, terrific grilled, on and on. Hey, cut it up and cook it with those potatoes and some round onions. They most always come in mild or spicy. Your choice.

Comment

Can make ono musubi with it, too. F'real.

Comment

Or just toss it on a hibachi until it cracks and gets a little koge (charred but in a good way) then slice and serve.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
            I apologize if this has already been addressed, I tried a board search but no luck.

The past few times I've been at the grocery store I've seen these Hawaiian/Portuguese sausages on sale, so I finally picked one up today. Only I'm not sure what to do with it. Is it like an italian sausage that I might cook with potatoes, or more of a breakfast sausage, or more like a salami?
            Well, I don't know if you treat it like salami. I personally never tried it raw out of the package.

Other than that, you cook it like any sausage. It's pretty versatile. I slice it on the bias (diagonally) and pan-fry it. Substitute italian sausage with portuguese sausage as pizza topping or pasta. I put it on saimin or ramen noodle. Cook it in a casserole. I take one of those 5-ounce, cut it in half, cook it, and serve it on hot dog buns.

No be scared!
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

You mean this stuff?...

Frank's from Hilo won the brand wars shootout by a slight margin over Rego's Purity, in a now-crowded Portuguese Sausage market.

He he.

Da Rolling Eye mentioned it being "precooked", but I wouldn't say it's necessarily so. It's cured with salt, but the pork is still considerably raw straight out of the package. At least raw in my view. I'd probably get sick eating in that state.

As helen suggested, pan-fry it about 1/4" thick until slightly "papa'a" (seared) on the edges. Grilled PS is awesome too, and highly recommended!

Portuguese Bean Soup, yes. Musubi, yes. Snackin', yes. With eggs and rice, a must.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
              X