Dashi Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashi Recipes

shiitake dashi (shiitake mushrooms broth)
    You will need:
    - 4 ounces of Shiitake mushrooms (1/2 cup)
    - 4 cups of water

1. Soak the Shiitake mushrooms in water for 30 minutes.
    2. Put the Shiitake and water in a cooking pot.
    3. Heat it (Medium heat).
    4. Turn off the heat when the water comes to a boil.
    5. Let it stand for 30 minutes.
    6. Remove the Shiitake with a strainer.

The remaining liquid is your Shiitake Dashi. The removed Shiitake mushroom can be used to cook in other recipes.

niboshi dashi (dried sardines broth)
    You will need:
    - 1/2 ounce of dried Niboshi (15 grams)
    - 4 cups of water

1. Remove the head and guts off the sardines.
    2. Soak the Niboshi in water for 1 hour.
    4. Bring the water to a boil and let it boil for two minutes.
    5. Turn off the heat.
    6. Remove the Niboshi with a strainer.
    The remaining liquid is your Niboshi Dashi.

kombu dashi (kelp broth)
    You will need:
    - 1/2 ounce of dried kombu (15 grams)
    - 4 cups of water

1. Soak the kombu in water for 2 hours.
    2. Put the kombu and water in a cooking pot.
    4. Turn off the heat when the water comes to a boil.
    5. Remove the kombu with a strainer.

The remaining liquid is your kombu Dashi. The removed kombu can be used to cook in other recipes.
    Note: You don't want to wash your kombu before soaking it in water, it will lose some of the flavors we want in our Dashi. You can wipe it with a clean cloth.

all the above seem very easy with only a couple of ingredients. from www.ramenlicious.com
    Last edited by kani-lehua; April 6, 2008, 02:44 PM.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Re: dashi recipes

What else can you make with these various dashi soup stocks, besides Miso soup and ramen?

I wonder if I rubbed Kombu dashi on my scalp, my hair would grow back? Or maybe if I poured Shiitake dashi in my radiator, my engine would run cooler. Or the exhaust would smell better.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

let me know how the kombu dashi works on your scalp?! i've got thinning hair, too!
      "chaos reigns within.
      order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
        let me know how the kombu dashi works on your scalp?! i've got thinning hair, too!
        Seriously though, what other dish(es) can those broths be used for?

TMI Alert: I rubbed Nori on my scalp, and it felt good. It's an effective exfoliant.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Seriously though, what other dish(es) can those broths be used for?

TMI Alert: I rubbed Nori on my scalp, and it felt good. It's an effective exfoliant.

i'm not too shuah? you know, there's a commerical that shows a lady cooking dinner and it looks like the fish was, i think steamed or poached, in a shiitake dashi?

you know, they seem easy enough to make, but don't you think that some other ingredients need to be added?

would the nori work as a facial exfoliant, too?
          "chaos reigns within.
          order shall return."

Comment

Re: Dashi Recipes

Some Japanese dishes like sukiyaki or pork tofu use dashi along with the shoyu and mirin base. Okinawan style shoyu pork also uses a dashi in equal amount to the shoyu and sake. Can also use the dashi in oden, a clear broth "stew" containing an assortment of fishcake, root veggies like gobo and lotus root, as well as konbu. Can also be used for making nishime. In a more concentrated form, it's mixed in for dipping sauces for dishes such as zaru soba and tempura.

Comment

i use dashi in my bittermelon champuru! i'm proud of that, bcs that's the first okinawan dish i learned to make! *big grin*
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                i use dashi in my bittermelon champuru! i'm proud of that, bcs that's the first okinawan dish i learned to make! *big grin*
                When I make champuru is just sprinkle some Shimaya brand dashi powder, because nomo msg, with some Yamasa shoyu and lillobit brown sugar. Got so much veggies, no need any extra liquid.

Oh yeah....eeww....that's for the bittermelon. Just can't bring myself to eat the stuff, although my wife likes it, but she grew up eating it in Okinawa.

Comment

Working...
                X