Mmmmm...brownies and hamhock soup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmmm...brownies and hamhock soup!

It's a rainy day here in Keaau on the Big Island so I made some brownies along with Hamhock soup (the last of the Easter dinner ham bone). Dinner tonight will be warm and cozy!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Mmmmm...brownies!

Where's the recipes?!
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      Where's the recipes?!
      I cheated...Betty Crocker instant gratification mix.

But oh man I love the edges so much I buttered the sides extra good. The corners are the first to go

The Hamhock soup was entirely from scratch however. Still slow cooking in the crock pot awaiting the family's return from work/school.

I love to cook but I can't bake for beans.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        But oh man I love the edges so much I buttered the sides extra good. The corners are the first to go

You might want to invest in this pan---moe crunchy edges, less fighting!!

http://www.chefsresource.com/bakers-...ownie-pan.html

Comment

What a dillemma, MagicJack or that really cool pan! My splurge budget won't allow for both so I gotta decide...what a predicament

Comment

What a dillemma, MagicJack or that really cool pan! My splurge budget won't allow for both so I gotta decide...what a predicament
            Dang...I knew the stock market was bad but I didn't know it was THAT bad!

Comment

Nice pan...but at thirty five bucks, I'd have to go over to goodwill and buy a dozen small loaf pans, instead, and do it that way.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

A friend of mine uses brownie batter to make cookies instead of pouring it into a pan. mmmmmm, lots of wonderful edges! But fess up and answer SusieMisajon's question ~ what goes into your hamhock soup? (Other than the hamhock *g*)

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                  But fess up and answer SusieMisajon's question ~ what goes into your hamhock soup? (Other than the hamhock *g*)
                  When I think ham hocks, I think Portuguese Bean Soup. So would this be without the Portuguese sausage?

But back on topic. Hmm ... Iʻve never baked brownies. I just like to eat them

Comment

Craig, I was staring at the fifteen bean soup mixes at the store earlier today and thinking how good a hot, homemade pot of soup would be in the cooler weather we have today and tonight. Way to go!

Yep, "the edges" of the brownies are excellent and so I'm glad to read the suggestion of pouring the brownie mix on a cookie sheet. We'll have to try that. Two cookies and an eliptical later I should have a good report.
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I cheated...Betty Crocker instant gratification mix.

Aah, you buggah, now you went and did it. That's my favorite part of a pan of BC brownies. Even when it gets chewy. To get more, I leave it in the oven a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                        Nice pan...but at thirty five bucks, I'd have to go over to goodwill and buy a dozen small loaf pans, instead, and do it that way.
                        I was considering using a muffin tray but I know from past experiences that brownie cupcakes never tastes as good as brownies cut from a single sheet.

Oh and Sue, yeah the Stock Market is bad but when things go south it's even more important than ever to stick to your budget to weather out any fiscal calamity.

As for the hamhock recipe, I don't have one. I simply take out a crock pot fill it with about a third ways up with water and add stuff.

For tonight's soup I made it this way:

First goes in the Ham (you can use cut ham, ham bone with some meat clinging to it), but for the heartiest of taste use the hamhock, lotsa fat!

I put the crockpot on high to start the water boiling and I add the ham. Once it starts getting really hot (but not hot enough to boil in the pot) I add some rock salt (couple of pinches) a couple dashes of black ground pepper, to get the stock going.

Add to that:

Minced garlic
                        Crushed ginger
                        Oregano
                        Parsley

Let it come to a boil then reduce to simmer. This is the essence of the soup stock.

On simmer I add a couple of pads of butter to help break up the Ham.

Then I add:
                        Diced peeled potatoes
                        Cut carrots
                        Diced Onions
                        Cut celery
                        Diced Tomatoes
                        Black Beans (rinsed and soaked overnight then drained)

Additional options at this point include:

Sliced Summer Zuchini
                        Diced Radish
                        Cut lightly saute'd bacon (add the drippings for really bold flavor)

Simmer for eternity (I start my soup around 10:30 in the morning and simmer until dinnertime)

About a half hour before serving I add about a tablespoon of brown sugar to cut down on the tomato taste and add more rock salt and pepper to taste. By then the ham is so tender it falls apart or off the bone. At that point shred the ham into small pieces with a fork.

Typically it'll simmer for around 6-7 hours and will build up a thick soup stock, no need to thicken with flour or corn starch. But if you added too much water I usually use a couple tablespoons of corn starch to equal amounts of hot water to thicken the stock without turning the color a pasty white (as with flour).

At serving I sprinkle some parsley leaves and oregano spices on the top. Served with saltines or over rice it makes for one hearty meal on a cold night.

The best part is that this soup tastes a gazillion times better the next day for breakfast!

Comment

Re: Mmmmm...brownies and hamhock soup!

On some level I think this thread sort of influnced what I had for dessert today. Hot fudge brownie sundae!

Comment

Sounds good Craig! Now I want hamhock soup

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                              Sounds good Craig! Now I want hamhock soup
                              The secret to any good hearty soup is to use a crock pot and slow cook it to perfection.

Comment

Working...
                              X