Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Did You Cook Today?

To my 8qt pot:

I added just a few inches of water and a tbsp of ʻalaea salt and a shtload of dill weed. Then I diced up several potatoes and carrots and threw it into the boiling water. Oh yeah, and some onions, too, diced small. Afterwards, I cracked open a bottle of clam juice and poured in in, then a tbsp of warchesterspellitcshire and a small dollop of anchovy paste and a little bit of paprika (8-10 whacks on the bottle over the pot). I had a side of salmon (2lbs) and I made it into 1inch cubes, added a 1lb bag of scallops and threw that in. I let it simmer for a little bit; I cracked a can of carnation milk, applied it to the medley, let it boil up a bit, then used potato starch and thickened it.

I call this mess salmon chowder. It's pink comfort food. Mop with buttered bread.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      I call this mess salmon chowder. It's pink comfort food. Mop with buttered bread.

Mmmmmm! What time do we eat???
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        I'll concur to that!

Love you!

Pomai

again with the irony! did you eat a lot of beef today?

(get it? iron-y? beef? as in good source of iron? and thereby making a nice tie in with my prime rib? which is not as "healthy" as ramen?)

ah, pomai, my love for you is like my love for bud light and most pies. *kiss*
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          ah, pomai, my love for you is like my love for bud light and most pies. *kiss*
          Whatever. Cake can be bitter-sweet, too.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Well..there was that German cannibal who cut off another man's penis, and both he and the penis-less fried it and ate it. And then he killed and ate the rest of the penis-less one.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think I coulda lived the rest of life having not read post #20 and not missed a thing. If only we, as humans, were evolved enough to purge our brains by hitting an implanted delete key...........

Comment

hey, pomai, it might interest you to know that my mom, eric and i went to fubonn today. think 99 ranch on steroids and with items as exotic as "pork uteri" but in portland, or so instead of everyone being in shawts & slippahs, we're all wearing jeans and coats. i made my mom buy two packs of the myojo ramen, miso flavor. i'd rather have her eat that than the instant (deep fried) stuff, which is even worse for your health than semi-fresh ramen, esp since my mom has a heart condition.

today i cooked breakfast--denver scramble and whole grain toast with coffee. need a heartier breakfast every morning in this colder weather.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The carcass of a Costco roast chicken is in the stockpot on the stove with assorted veggies and aromatics to make chicken stock to use in ozoni which will be the first thing we eat tomorrow along with osechi. Soba tonight.

Here's a question: Where does the tradition of eating ahi (or sashimi) for New Year's in Hawaii come from? I know it is not a typical nor required element of New Year's in Japan, so I wondered if anyone could shed light on how long and where this unique (and tasty!) tradition started.

Comment

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Fish chowder.

Fry an onion in butter, added garlic, celery, Tabaso, thyme, pepper, a vegetable stock cube, and a bayleaf. Then I blended in about two tablespoonfuls of flour and let it cook a bit, then added water and powdered milk, a couple of cubed potatoes, more than a cup of corn, and two frozen pieces of white fish. Simmered til the potatoes were tender, sprinkled with parsley, and eaten with toasted bread.

Sometimes I do the same recipe with a can of tuna or salmon, or with bacon added, or broccoli or peas.

Comment

Having scored big time in the gift card department, I went to Macy's and bought a new gadget for my kitchen. It's the Cuisinart "Griddler" and I plan to try it out today with some chicken marinated in olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, minced garlic, herbs de provence, a little white wine and a touch of dijon mustard. it will be served with polenta with parmesan cheese. a nice Pinot Grigio will be included in my meal.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Lentil soup, but I cheat a bit.

A can of lentils, a can of tomatoes, and a can of mixed greens.

Comment

Good choice! The reviews over at Amazon are quite favorable for this one.
                            Everyone at work has one of those Foreman models, and swears by it as a great indoor grill. The removable interchangeable cook top on the Cuinart model is certainly a plus, and overall it looks like a quality countertop appliance. I might get one too. It may not involve charcoal or fire, but hey, those grill markings are a thing of beauty!

Your Herb Chicken, Polenta and Pinot Wine feast sounds so ono.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            Having scored big time in the gift card department, I went to Macy's and bought a new gadget for my kitchen. It's the Cuisinart "Griddler" and I plan to try it out today with some chicken marinated in olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, minced garlic, herbs de provence, a little white wine and a touch of dijon mustard. it will be served with polenta with parmesan cheese. a nice Pinot Grigio will be included in my meal.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I was very happy with how the Griddler cooked my chicken - 5 minutes for a perfectly done chicken breast, grill marks looked great and it was very juicy. Very easy to clean also. The machine does have several shortcomings - it doesn't like meat/chicken with bones and the little instruction book included doesn't have very good cooking instructions and very few recipes. But, I'm very pleased with it.

One advantage over the Foreman grills is that it opens flat for cooking on both sides of the grill at once. That gives you a cooking space of about 16 x 20 inches. It's pretty good sized. Right now, Macy's is selling them for $129.99.

and yes, dinner was delicious!
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

corned beef brisket is in the crock pot as I type. Tonight, I will cut up some fresh cabbage and toss cooked meat+broth over it.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X