Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to Barbecue!

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    That is a great idea. We already the CHILI COOK-OFF and there's the POKE competition that Sam Choy's been involved with.

How about the Aloha Stadium parking lot? The tailgating at UH football games can get pretty awesome.
    That's an idea. Perhaps name it the Aloha BBQ Challenge.

I'd still prefer Kapiolani Park since it's near the beach and all the hotels, which could have a positive impact on our tourism numbers, possibly drawing as much as events such as the Honolulu Marathon. BBQ on the mainland is HUGE, and I bet lots of those hardcore "Q'ers" would love to fly over to Hawaii to compete! The only problem is getting their massive smokers here, or finding one to rent on the island. Might have to settle for a store-bought Weber.

If I competed, this would be my entry for the Pulehu category...

Big Island Style Smoked Pork with Poi from Da' Kiawe Krew!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wow thats a great idea. re ALOHA BBQ CHALLENGE... Where do I sign up to be a judge?

They should have a tailgate competition during UH football games. Contestants are chosen over the season, to a final cook-off the last game.

Comment

Pomai, your “Big Island Style Smoke Pork and Poi " sounds so "ONO" and your photo looks good enough to eat! stay making my mouth water! All that’s missing is the Opihi!

I personally love Opihi's pulehu'd (grilled / BBQ ) over Kiawe, simmerd lightly in it's own salty juices," Broke the mouth" ! a splash of home made limu lipoa chili pepper water or some Aloha brand shoyu on the Opihi's isn’t bad either!

Make sure your Hawaiian Opihi's are at least
        1 3/4 - 2 inches big, if you cannot find this size on the rocks NO pick the small ones! Go to Tropics behind of Alamoana Farmers market and ask for Noelani's " Emerald Isle Opihi Company's", "IRISH OPIHIS”. It's guaranteed satisfaction!

MAHALO Hawaii Threads and Pomai. This site and your posts really got my brain juices flowing...

Now I want to organize Noelani's Emerald Isle Opihi Company, IRISH OPIHI " Opihi Poke" contest "EAT EM RAW" and an Opihi BBQ contest " GRILLED" ! get all the "back yard chefs" as well as culinary students involved!

A benefit to save and protect our beloved Native Hawaiian Opihi's, by funding an enviromental impact study of coastline developement and its effects to Hawaii's fragile eco marine reefs and native Opihi population.

The fact is..no body going listen to this "Aunty" until I can find some "marine scientests" for back up our Hawaiian customs and traditions. Any "UH marine phd major students looking for a thesis and want to help a worth while cause?

Hey, maybe even invite Sam Choy for be the judge and The Opihi pickers for entertain! Any body with " Da connections" here on Hawaii threads can "hook me up" ? I hope to "kick this idea off in conjuction with Honolulu Saint Patricks Day Block Party 2008! Any Ideas or suggestions? I also recruiting Judges!

Aloha ,
        Noelani Josselin
        Wailua, Kauai
        Emerald Isle Opihi Company
        opihipickerz2@yahoo.com

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        That's an idea. Perhaps name it the Aloha BBQ Challenge.

I'd still prefer Kapiolani Park since it's near the beach and all the hotels, which could have a positive impact on our tourism numbers, possibly drawing as much as events such as the Honolulu Marathon. BBQ on the mainland is HUGE, and I bet lots of those hardcore "Q'ers" would love to fly over to Hawaii to compete! The only problem is getting their massive smokers here, or finding one to rent on the island. Might have to settle for a store-bought Weber.

If I competed, this would be my entry for the Pulehu category...

Big Island Style Smoked Pork with Poi from Da' Kiawe Krew!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Noelani Josselin; June 17, 2007, 04:11 AM. Reason: No title under "Irish Opihi" Photo

Comment

This thread is getting me hungry!

I was working all that weekend, and this is weeks past, but I did some grilling this past weekend. Did Pistachio crusted spring rack of lamb, grilled Yukon gold potato wedges with Asiago and rosemary, grilled tomatoes with balsamic and honey, asparagus, and some margarita marinated pork kabobs with and green apple tomatillio salsa and grilled mango with dark rum and brown sugar for dessert. Happy tummy!
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            This thread is getting me hungry!

Did Pistachio crusted spring rack of lamb
            Recipe, please!

The one and only way I usually prepare/order and enjoy Rack of Lamb is crusted with Dijon Mustard, bread crumbs, Rosemary and garlic, broiled in the oven medium-rare and served with Mint Jelly. Escargot as appetizer.

A Pistachio nut crust sounds interesting. I LOVE Pistachio, and am curious how it compliments lamb.

I've never tried grilling lamb, but I bet it's good.

Mahalo Noelani for the compliments. I'm not an Opihi-eating fan, but I totally respect it as an important resource. Mom has a whole gallon's-worth in the freezer that's closely guarded like GOLD. She LOVES the stuff.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Recipe, please!

The one and only way I usually prepare/order and enjoy Rack of Lamb is crusted with Dijon Mustard, bread crumbs, Rosemary and garlic, broiled in the oven medium-rare and served with Mint Jelly. Escargot as appetizer.

A Pistachio nut crust sounds interesting. I LOVE Pistachio, and am curious how it compliments lamb.

I've never tried grilling lamb, but I bet it's good.

Mahalo Noelani for the compliments. I'm not an Opihi-eating fan, but I totally respect it as an important resource. Mom has a whole gallon's-worth in the freezer that's closely guarded like GOLD. She LOVES the stuff.

Sounds you enjoy the classic(central/slightly southern) French style of preparation, and I love that too! You can't go wrong!

As far as the pistachio, it plays GREAT with the richness, and mild earthiness of baby lamb. I normally pair it with house made tri pepper jelly. Makes the combo really interesting with sweet, slightly sour, rich and earthy. Grilling just makes everything better, imo. The key is making sure your pistachios don't char, but just toast. Just take some shelled pistachios, NON SALTED, and pulse them in a robot coupe/food processor until chopped fine, but not powdered and cut with a little(like 1 to 10 ratio) bread crumbs(panko), salt and pepper. You can dredge the lamb rack right in the mix and be fine for grilling over medium heat to a done-ness of Medium Rare, any done-ness over that, bread mid way through cooking as not to burn your nuts(lol). If you can get prepared pepper jelly, do it. IT ties all the flavors together.

You might want to cover the frenched bones in foil to prevent scorching, but if you start the lamb off on the bottom of the loin, with the bones propped on the back of the grill, and then flip over to finish on the back(flat)part of the rack.
              flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                Sounds you enjoy the classic(central/slightly southern) French style of preparation, and I love that too! You can't go wrong!

As far as the pistachio, it plays GREAT with the richness, and mild earthiness of baby lamb. I normally pair it with house made tri pepper jelly. Makes the combo really interesting with sweet, slightly sour, rich and earthy. Grilling just makes everything better, imo. The key is making sure your pistachios don't char, but just toast. Just take some shelled pistachios, NON SALTED, and pulse them in a robot coupe/food processor until chopped fine, but not powdered and cut with a little(like 1 to 10 ratio) bread crumbs(panko), salt and pepper. You can dredge the lamb rack right in the mix and be fine for grilling over medium heat to a done-ness of Medium Rare, any done-ness over that, bread mid way through cooking as not to burn your nuts(lol). If you can get prepared pepper jelly, do it. IT ties all the flavors together.
                My girlfriend's mother makes a KILLER Hawaiian Chili Pepper Jelly, which would probably match perfectly with your recipe. We've got a few bottles in the pantry.

If I put this dish on a restaurant menu, I'd name it
                PISTACHIO-CRUSTED GRILLED RACK OF LAMB WITH HAWAIIAN CHILI PEPPER SAUCE (a demi-glace reduction made with that jelly).

When I prepare the rack of lamb French style, I salt and pepper the racks, then sear it first before breading it. Let it rest, then brush it with Dijon and coat it with a mixture of panko, rosemary, parsley and garlic (combined in a processor). Then I put it in the oven with a thermometer and let it go until the internal temp' reads 120, then pull 'em and let 'em rest. If the crust starts to brown too fast, I cover that part with tin foil.

OK, I had Ahi Poke for lunch, now I'm thinking of having Rack of Lamb for dinner. Life can't get better than that!
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Dude, we will HAVE to do dinner one night after I get there!
                  flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Working...
                  X