Trouble at the Tribune-Herald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble at the Tribune-Herald

I dunno nuttin about Journalism. However, wat dey did is in poor taste in the lowest extreme.

Auwe!

No Class!

BAD!

Auntie pUpUle
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
      We follow along, but seldom post.
      You see what I mean about monitoring. HA rank'n'file likely don't dare post, even to defend themselves. Give 'em a break, it's not easy working in Stalag Gannett.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Hey Burl,

We appreciate the backhanded sympathy, I suppose. But more than the scrutiny from the higher ups (which certainly is true) there is a general feeling that HT, a valuable a forum as it is, has several regular posters who are openly hostile to the Advertiser -- and who wants to enter into a conversation where whatever you say becomes fodder for the shooting gallery. We've seen, for example, Kawehi and other HW employees respond in good faith only to jumped by the mob. There is a lot of productive conversation, certainly, but just as much beating up of those easy to criticize (HW) and those who choose to remail silent.

I wouldn't mind your (that's you, specifically) constant sniping at the Advertiser and Gannett if it weren't so hypocritical. As I vividly recall, you were among the first in line to apply for a job when the transfer happened.

Comment

Hit the right flipper... hit the left flipper... the pinball bounces around...

Looks like someone just opened themselves up....

Comment

Originally posted by Pinball
            As I vividly recall, you were among the first in line to apply for a job when the transfer happened.
            Ah, you were one of the Gannett execs appointed to lie to the interviewees? Good job, then. I wasn't first in line. Maybe fifth. I was one of the ones not given cookies by the interviewers, though.

Don't forget, I worked for Gannett for 15 years. I'm not exactly on the outside looking in, and Gannett used to be a pretty good place to work. Not any more. Gannett Corporate's behavior in killing newspapers is shameful and brings disrepute to the entire industry. The Advertiser's staff has been pretty much caught in the middle, and that's not their fault. They can't help but do their best to identify with their employer -- read, Stockholm Syndrome -- and to simply shrug and lip "It's nothing personal. Only business!" is to forget why many of us entered the profession in the first place -- to shine light in dark corners.

As for Tizer people being nervous about posting, yeah, it gets pretty hot here in the kitchen.
            Burl Burlingame
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Burl Burlingame ROCKS!!!!!!

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinball
                there is a general feeling that HT, a valuable a forum as it is, has several regular posters who are openly hostile to the Advertiser -- and who wants to enter into a conversation where whatever you say becomes fodder for the shooting gallery.
                Good to have you here...

...whoever you may be...

Why not just come out and say who you are? We at the 'Bull have no fears of revealing ourselves...

Comment

...rather than editing the last post... and subtly venturing into OT waters...

Look, more often than not I'm playing devil's advocate or just being some jerk stirring up the hornets...

Frankly, it's good to have folks from the 'Tizer and the Weekly here. Maybe we're harsh... but welcome to journalism... it's not for the thin-skinned.

Anyway, hopefully we can all play together, and (like I suggested in another post) hopefully nobody will take their ball and go home.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                    And take a moment to admire the lovely image in the entry just before it!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Aww ... Scriv ...

(bats eyes)

By the way, that is the most boring haircut I ever had.

Comment

Well, forget Richard and Burl. They're too sensitive. If I'm starting a publication, I'm signing up MadAzza first. She's smart, funny and she rides a motorcycle. Mad rocks!!!

Comment

You're just saying that 'cuz it's true. That, or you saw my resume!

Comment

Ya gotta love a person who knows how to fight cleverly. Mad doesn't get mad, she gets funny.
                            Mad rocks.
                            I'm gonna start a fan club.

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman
                              Mad rocks!!!
                              See, we agree on that point!
                              Burl Burlingame
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'm only the Middleman, but Pinball is correct that the consistent hostility toward the Advertiser and Weekly only fosters an atmosphere in which fewer people wish to participate. Why not extend common courtesy to all opinions and posters? Maybe more tolerant behavior will encourage more meaningful discussions. If I'm a Weekly employee who disagrees with the decision to run a cover story on Burl, I could use this forum to express some insights. But given the hostility toward the Weekly and the derisive "Weakly" references, why bother? In Hawaii, folks respond with their feet. They walk away. Do we really want to lose potentially valuable contributors?
                                As for the tough-guy postings by some here, let's get real. Print journalists shouldn't try to act macho with bring-it-on missives. It's too hilarious. The only tough person in print journalism is MadAzz.
                                Mad rocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X