Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Troubling development in TV News

Originally posted by tvnut
    I believe Kaiser "cans" those health segments for KITV, it's a deal they've had with the station for years. It is known as a Video News Release or what Tv guys call VNR. Kaiser does the interviews, comes up with the story ideas and Allgire just cuts and pastes his voice on there. He openly admits he's lazy.
    Personally I like the other health reporter who just left KGMB for KHNL. Isn't she a nurse or something close to it? Much more interesting than Allgire, and much better to look at!
    Ah yes, the infamous Video News Release. The thing that caused all manner of trouble a couple of years ago. Note: that story is from the PR industry trade association, so it's a little biased on Ms. Karen Ryan's behalf.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I wanted to go on the record that KITV does not use VNR's without sourcing the material on the air. We pay an outside vendor for the national medical stories that we use on Dick Allgire's Island health segments. There once was a local tie in to Kaiser, but that went away some years ago. Dick uses their doctors when he does local stories, more than others, because he is familiar with them.
      We are very careful with VNR's and label them as "courtesy of..." even to the extent of Pamela's movie previews on Fridays.
      Mike Rosenberg

Comment

It's this kind of closed mindedness about the changing times that causes the dreaded "downsizing" word. More and more creative avenues of advertising are being used to get a sponsor to make the buy. Product Placement is the buzz right now. Thank the movies and American Idol for opening up the floodgates and making it hip to shamelessly promote the clients product in the middle of the "guts" of the program. Ad dollars are harder to come by with over 900 stations on your remote. We are not far away from Joe Moores moving studio background being used as a advertising billboard.
        Joe: "This flash flood is being brought to you by Board of Water supply...In other news Tanya Jaoquin called in this story on her Cingular phone and reported that there is chaos at the newly named Slush Puppie Aloha Stadium"

What gets me is the "stuck in the 60's" folks on this board, who will be the first ones to rant about how their favorite reporter got blown out or quit because his/her slary was too low. In the words of Dylan "times they are a changin' " Product Placement rocks

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway
          [...]More and more creative avenues of advertising are being used to get a sponsor to make the buy. Product Placement is the buzz right now. Thank the movies and American Idol for opening up the floodgates and making it hip to shamelessly promote the clients product in the middle of the "guts" of the program. Ad dollars are harder to come by with over 900 stations on your remote. [...] In the words of Dylan "times they are a changin' " Product Placement rocks
          I think product placement is here to stay and have to admit...it doesn't bother me. Ad agencies will need to continue to think outside the standard commercial box to circumvent all those Tivos and the plethora of stations! Oprah's another one who has opened the PP floodgates. Creative as heck, imo! I'm not involved in the tv industry but am involved in advertising so am not offended by advertising in general and always appreciate creative applications of it. It's pretty darned impossible to delete or fast forward thru the 'guts' of a program!

That said, if PP makes commercials obsolete I'm out of a job! The good news is I'll retire before that happens!

Comment

Originally posted by mike
            I wanted to go on the record that KITV does not use VNR's without sourcing the material on the air. We pay an outside vendor for the national medical stories that we use on Dick Allgire's Island health segments. There once was a local tie in to Kaiser, but that went away some years ago. Dick uses their doctors when he does local stories, more than others, because he is familiar with them.
            We are very careful with VNR's and label them as "courtesy of..." even to the extent of Pamela's movie previews on Fridays.
            Mike Rosenberg

That's good to know, thank you. I've been wondering about that for a couple of years. It might not hurt Dick to expand his Rolodex to include other local docs, though, just for appearance's sake.

I've said the same thing to NPR's ombudsman: "When you guys want ConLaw opinions, please find two lawyers other than Doug Kmiec and Jeff Toobin. I can recite their views by heart; I don't need to hear them again."
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Thanks, Mike, for the clarification. I appreciate your chiming in here, and harbor hopes that we might hear from you again on other broadcast topics!

I suppose it's a sad fact that even with the strictest internal policies to ensure credibility, appearances still count. I've always just presumed some collaboration between Kaiser and KITV because of the ads and frequent sourcing in news segments. Since there was once a tie-in, I guess it's hard to shake the appearance of one today.

I knew the national medical stories came from somewhere else, I just didn't know if it was Kaiser, Hearst-Argyle, or an "outside vendor." It's good to know more, but of course, now I'm curious about said vendor. Whoever it is, they're definitely more open to alternative medicines and experimental stuff than most! Whenever my wife and I hear a specific company or brand mentioned as being behind a "promising new treatment," we laugh and say, "cha ching!"

I didn't know sourcing was the reason for the extensive credits after the movie round-up, though. I guess since the clips were provided, rather than independently obtained, it makes sense to say in part that the movies are being mentioned because the material was made available, not just because of editorial judgement. Of course, that makes the occasional smirk or snide comment that follows ("I don't think we'll be going to that one...") even more entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                am involved in advertising so am not offended by advertising in general and always appreciate creative applications of it. That said, if PP makes commercials obsolete I'm out of a job! The good news is I'll retire before that happens!

I am indirectly involved with advertising and I AM offended by many applications of it. I HATE the stuck on advert things on supermarket floors. periferally, it looks like a mess i have to sidestep, then i haveta look at it and see it ain't a spill. Then i get disgusted and swear i will never look at those again. SOOOO... i may take a slip and fall in a supermarket some day.
                But HEY! Those evil infernal devilspawn advertising companies haven't snagged another convert. cuz I didn't look at the grease spot on the floor and see the brand! Ha!

and those stew pee'd captive audience frames at urinals and toilets.
                have them at G'B's and Don Ho's aloha Tower and at Lulu's waiks.
                Some of the adverts are even inCREDibly mis spelled!

Some of them, say: "I bet the guy next to you is happy you're reading this!"
                who cares what the next guy thinks?!
                what a downright insidious, warped, sicko, creepy thing to plant into my brain!

That said, I must also say this:
                and the yellow pages. aw, don't get me started!
                too late.
                NO longer simply a reference tool. It is bursting with adverts to a very ugly visually discordant degree. Like an explosion in a word and paint factory.

That said by having been said by me, I say;
                I simply abhor obvious product placement in Movies.
                Now, that overly LOOOONNGGG fedex commercial, starring that weepy Gurlyman that is always crying cuz he hates that nature gave him the Pillsbury dough boy face; Tom Hanks.
                ok. Fair enuff. we knew, goin in, it was nuthin but FEDEX.FEDEX.FEDEX.FEDEX.FEDEX. all the way through.

BUT when a character in a movie is very obviously trying to hold a bottle of beer, coke, katchup or what have you, so it is apparent he or she is awkwardly attempting to face the label toward the camera, and something feels as if THAT label is the best lit and most in focus thing in that shot.

Having said that, THIS is what makes my skin crawl. It throws off the momentum of the film. Tosses the effect of the story having grabbed ahold of you, right out the windurr. And it brings you back to the reality you were trying to escape from in da first place.

Absolute Power. Ed harris and Scott Glenn are waiting for Clint eastwood to appear in a town square. Ed sez to Scott;
                "TUMS?"
                he replies.
                "Nah thanks Got nuh own!""

That having been said,
                wheeeee! Not only is the message the guys who got it goin on take tums whenever they feel like it, (like a ring of lifesavers or gum) but everyone should be carrying the damn things around with them for themselves!

Nope. i will have nun o dat in da modern age, thengew furrymush.

That is what i said.
                Last edited by kimo55; March 17, 2006, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  I am indirectly involved with advertising and I AM offended by many applications of it. [...]
                  Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks! Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by tvnut
                    Personally I like the other health reporter who just left KGMB for KHNL. Isn't she a nurse or something close to it? Much more interesting than Allgire, and much better to look at!
                    No, she’s not a nurse. Interesting how the pretty girl always gets more credit. Although I will admit, I’ve witnessed Allgire’s laziness. But maybe he’s just bitter about losing his anchor position at KITV.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway
                      What gets me is the "stuck in the 60's" folks on this board,
                      They are called Baby Boomers, and they represent the "pig in the python" of demographics. Never has there been a generation more stuck on the past.

LOL
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

and how bout those others who know a lil Hawaiian and pidgin. Boy are they behind.
                        Speak engrish, class!
                        Don't you know all that is a thing o the past too?!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          They are called Baby Boomers, and they represent the "pig in the python" of demographics. Never has there been a generation more stuck on the past.

LOL
                          I'm a pre-baby boomer! I'm so stuck in the past that I'm remodeling and redecorating my condo to resemble a little grass shack! None of this contemporary, futuristic, modern stuff for me. I wanna go back to basics like lava rock and lauhala walls, lots of bamboo and thatch, a clam shell sink, a Sub-Zero refrig, a flat screen plasma tv, broadband internet connection, a top-notch sound system to pipe in all the great Martin Denny, Arthur Godfrey, Alfred Apaka and Harry Owens songs!

The good ol' days rock. I love roughing it!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                            The good ol' days rock. I love roughing it!
                            I dig. but be careful... i almost see it comin round da bend:
                            "wot? You don't want running water, electricity...?!"

Comment

Okay this has gotten a bit off-topic but I can't help wanting to chime in.
                              The Hawaii Advertising Federation had a guest speaker at Monday's luncheon who took the industry to task for its fixation on younger demos, who he cited as "18-to-34 year olds with cell phones but no actual money."

LOL! I know, some younger demo folks in here will take offense but they were his words, not mine. Nevertheless, it does seem that many advertisers and media outlets could care less about what Garfield called the wealthiest generation in the history of America -- Baby Boomers.

I for one, am what was once called, a "Brady boomer." Too young to be a baby boomer but who grew up watching The Brady Bunch (among other fine programs). = )
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                                Okay this has gotten a bit off-topic...

yer new here, ain'tcha.
                                that kinda thing don't stop most of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X