Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii Superferry

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=1946
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

From the article, "Super Ferry will require upgraded harbors":
Quote:
The state will have to invest in some major harbor improvements to get ready for the Hawaii Super Ferry, and state Transportation Director Rodney Haraga is wondering how much he’ll have to spend. If harbor improvements are underfunded, the Super Ferry company could decide to leave Hawaii for a market with better facilities, he said.
I wonder if the possibility that the Super Ferry could give up on us is one expressed or at least acknowledged by the company, or just a thought thrown in to add weight to the debate over the harbor improvements? I doubt the Super Ferry investors would want to plant doubts like that when they're still trying to get a firm foothold here.

I'm reminded of the Pacific Business News article on the "harbor crunch." Harbor infrastructure and capacity is a bigger problem than just for ferries, or just for cruise ships. I don't think there should be much hesitation in biting the bullet and investing in upgrading across the board.
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Ali`i

I think its a great idea and I have no problems if my taxes are raised to support this or whatever mode of rapid transit the city has a plan for and that they will stick with.

Considering I will use these modes of travel it even gives me more incentive to not only support it but also pay for it thru my taxes or whatever means.

However, I was not pleased with the city raising the vehicle registration fees so they could help finance the raises for the HPD. While I support HPD getting whatever raise they can get, I question why considering the amount of police officers there are versus amount of people owning vehicles on this island as to where all the extra money went and will go in future years unless it goes to their retirement. I'm not sure.

Makiki Boy
Old November 19th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Ali`i

During a public hearing last night, the people of Maui expressed concerns about the expansion of Kahului Harbor in order to accomodate the ferry plus additional cruise ships, not to mention the canoe clubs that use Kahului Harbor for races and practices. Heehee, looks like people are finally beginning to realize that maybe the additional income that would be generated by the Superferry and additional cruise ships isn't worth losing what they have today...a place that's nearby where they can safely launch their small boats, canoes, go fishing and surfing. I'm sure this isn't the end of it.

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=3380

Miulang
Old November 19th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Ali`i

After reading about some of the objections to the Superferry, I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, we sorely need a better interisland transport system. Flying between islands really doesn't make sense given the relatively short distances involved.

But on the other hand, it sounds like there are legitimate worries about environmental issues like hitting baby whales while going at high speeds (don't laugh, it's a serious concern) and spreading invasive species (wanna see mongoose on Kaua'i?).
Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Ali`i

Chalk one up for "the little people!" The advisory committee looking into the expansion of Kahului Harbor for the superferry has returned a finding that the current plan of expanding the current piers should be abandoned and another suitable location nearby be explored for terminals for the ferry and other cruise liners.

This is a great victory for the people who use the harbor for things like canoe racing, fishing and surfing. Sometimes the little guy can beat Goliath. It just takes a lot of determination and noise.

Miulang

http://starbulletin.com/2005/01/22/news/index1.html
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Ali`i

If they decide to look for a location just north of the current piers, then the windsurfers and parasailers are going to get their knickers in a twist, because that's their turf (Kanaha Beach Park). Some days you just can't win for losing, I guess. The displaced parasailers and windsurfers would all have to crowd into Pavilions by Ho'okipa Park.

Miulang
Old January 26th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Superferry seeks harbor funds
Gregg Takayama, KHON, January 25, 2005
Quote:
Garibaldi needs lawmakers to approve $40 million to upgrade harbors by installing ramps and passenger facilities. Gov. Linda Lingle is already on board. "I believe this project can reinvigorate economic activity between the islands that has been stifled by rising interisland airfares," she said in Monday's State of the State address.
While most people are excited about having an alternative to overpriced, cramped air travel, Ewa Rep. Mark Moses thinks the ferry could also do double-duty as an intra-island commuter ferry, getting folks from Ewa to downtown Honolulu each morning.
Old January 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Superferry seeks harbor funds
Gregg Takayama, KHON, January 25, 2005

While most people are excited about having an alternative to overpriced, cramped air travel, Ewa Rep. Mark Moses thinks the ferry could also do double-duty as an intra-island commuter ferry, getting folks from Ewa to downtown Honolulu each morning.
Not so far fetched. We have "foot ferries" that run from Bremerton and that side of Puget Sound over to Seattle (only take passengers and no cars). Takes less than an hour (compared to more than 2 hours driving around the Sound) but the fare is kinda expensive: $12 one way. We have a shorter distance passenger-only "water taxi" that runs between West Seattle and downtown Seattle. That only takes about 10 minutes and costs I think $10 round trip.

This also sort of sounds like what Island Air was planning to do on the Big Island: commuter flights between Kona and Hilo for around $20/roundtrip.

What'll determine whether these shorter commuter alternatives succeed or not is how much the fares are and peoples' intolerance of traffic jams and if the price of gas for cars continues to rise.

Miulang
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Ali`i

So the promoters of the Hawai'i Superferry are not going to have an easy time bringing the system up to speed after all. We have "obstructionist" environmentalists on Maui and Kauai who want more extensive environmental studies completed before approving the plans.

So we have the environmentalists thinking about the ecological future of the islands on one side pitted against the money and the people who could make this plan a reality on the other.

Since a kybosh was put on having the ferry terminal be part of the existing Kahului Harbor, one can only guess where they're thinking about siting the ferry terminal on Maui. If they want it near the current Kahului piers because of the facilities, about the only place they could use would be the Kanaha Beach area a little to the east of the current terminals. But that's where the windsurfers and parasailors play, so more than likely they, along with the canoe club that has its clubhouse in the Kanaha Beach area would raise a big enough stink that the ferry would have to find another location. Maybe they could go to Maalaea or Lahaina, but that would be too far away from Central Maui.

Miulang
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM

It always takes the environmental whackos to put the kibosh on private enterprise thereby eventually inceasing the costs for all of us to do business.

Caution: This is a liberal inundation zone.
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Ali`i

Let me pose the question here Mel ? I am fully aware of the benefits
of the H4 Superferry.But what about the downsides like increased traffic,
enironmental effects, like possible introduction of alien species. It seems
these downsides to and many others should be shafted in favor of the
capitalistic machine steamrolling everything in its way according to you.

I am not against progress, but I do feel that these issues warrant a closer
look. Especially since if for these negative downsides do occur, they CANNOT
be reversed.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:37 PM

The environmentalists will probably kill the ferry. There are certain deadlines for financing that the Hawaii Superferry must meet. But with these obstructionistic people in the way, it is very doubtful IMO that the ferry will set sail as proposed.

The environmentalists and their continuing assault on economic progress are to blame. There is nothing wrong with having a new ship sailing between the islands and offering consumers a possibly cheaper alternative to interisland travel.

Liberals and environmentalists don't care about Hawaii's economy and taxpayer's personal pocketbooks. They only want to perpetuate continued increases to Hawaii's cost of living via high taxes, new taxes, and roadblocks to economic progress.

[Waiting for another volley of liberal bricks]

Old February 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Ali`i

I'm a liberal, and an environmentalist, and I want this ferry to happen. Of course, there must be some simple rationalization for an aberation such as myself to exist, as acknowledging things like "nuances" and "shades of grey" will cause one-dimensional universes to implode.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Ali`i

Mel, mel mel your avoiding the the points I raised. It re-affirms my feeling
that you feel hell with the negative consequences of the super ferry. Lets shove it down everyones throat without any due dillgence.

I have my doubts too about their financial viability since HAWAII TAXPAYERS including you Mel are backing 40 million in improvements to the harbors. What if they go belly up.That alone should taken seriously.

It seems Mel you do not care about ithe influx of traffic additional people this
service will bring to each island. Our roads here on the Big island are overloaded already. Plus there is the threat of alien species bring spread more easily now with the super ferry.

Also Mel, not everyone who shares a different view than yours is liberal.
No wonder why our country is so fragmented left vs right. NEITHER SIDE
IS RIGHT in my view. If more people had the brains to listen to each side
of the issue things in this country would be so much better.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the terse lecture. My views will not change. I expected liberal rocks to be thrown and you have done so now. The ferry is doomed because of environmental activitists. An ecnomic option for Hawaii is fast fading away.

[outnumbered and whacked on the head by another liberal]

Old February 21st, 2005, 10:02 PM
Ali`i

I give up...firstly it aggravates me when some people are unwilling to see the larger picture here, secondly I don't like to be branded a liberal when I'm not
one. It seems to me Mel that you brand ANYONE that has a conflicting view on ANY issue a liberal. I have been here long enough to see a
pattern here. That is very aggravating too. No one one can have decent
discussion with you since everyone but you is wrong or worst yet a liberal.

Back to the issue at hand, correct me if I'm wrong you do not care one bit
about the negative effects of the super ferry. You are perfectly willing to
accept the negative effects without any due dilligence. As a tax paying
citizen of this state I want this service to be throughly scruntized especially
since 40 million dollars of our TAXPAYER DOLLARS are on the line.

Last edited by Aaron S; February 21st, 2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:03 PM

The Who and Why Behind the Attempt to Kill the Superferry

Quote:
The Superferry has been in planning for nearly a year and there has been no such request for an EIS until this point. The timing of this opposition is clearly designed to kill the project. The CEO of Hawaii Superferry, John Garabaldi, has said precisely that. He said because of a reported "drop-dead-date" of June 30, 2005, all government contracts need to be in place or crucial financing will be lost.
(Emphasis added)

The environmentalists have their agenda. They want this project killed. I am sure you bleeding heart liberals will discount this view as published on HawaiiReporter.com

No chance for an economic alternative for Hawaii's consumers as long as environmentalists continue to put roadblocks in front of progress.

[This conservative is vastly outnumbered by the liberals here]

Old February 21st, 2005, 11:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron S
It seems to me Mel that you brand ANYONE that has a conflicting view on ANY issue a liberal. I have been here long enough to see a pattern here. That is very aggravating too. No one one can have decent discussion with you since everyone but you is wrong or worst yet a liberal.
It seems to me that expecting a "decent discussion" is the problem here. If someone's looking to just spout off, and not open to a conversation, your best strategy is to let it go. It's certainly not worth aggravation... especially on a holiday weekend!

I think the environmental impact of the ferry will be negligible, at least compared to other projects that are undertaken on a near-daily basis. That said, considering the work that will need to be done on shorelines and the increased traffic on our waters, I find it hard to believe that anyone's pretending to be surprisedthat an EIS is being called for. Hell, you practically need an EIS to flush a toilet 'round here.

The EIS process can and has been abused, but it's also an important tool. Much as I want the ferry to happen, I would've hoped they could have spent some of the money they spent on PR on highlighting the minimal environmental impact, or even earth-friendly benefits, of what they're planning to do.

Hell, if Chevron can run ads with cute and happy seals, anything goes.

Last edited by pzarquon; February 21st, 2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Ali`i

80% of 300 people polled informally by the Advertiser indicated that they are disappointed by the calls from Maui and Kauai Counties to embark on 9-month long environmental impact statements prior to final approval for the Superferry.

Are these people thinking only of their immediate short term gain? What would happen if there was an oil spill or some other kind of environmental disaster?

Miulang
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
Are these people thinking only of their immediate short term gain? What would happen if there was an oil spill or some other kind of environmental disaster?
Considering the sorts of things that are transported over our waterways for industrial and commercial purposes - much greater toxicity at much, much higher volumes - I would thing two consumer-serving vessels would be the least of their worries. If a Superferry has an accident, you might end up with a fuel spill and 250 cars at the bottom of the ocean, true. But what about a 70-year-old tanker? Or container ship? You could lose an entire rental car fleet, or have another Exxon Valdez.

I think it would take a Superferry years of abuse before it could do half of what that tanker did just last week off Kalaeloa.

Given the poll, I suppose I would be among the 80 percent disappointed. But I think the question should have allowed for people who are asking, "Why wasn't an EIS built into the master plan in the first place?" Well, more people should be asking that, anyway.

I also agree that the environmentalists are just an easy scapegoat. Behind every legislator pushing for this, you'll find ten "shipping companies, barge companies, airlines, car rental agencies, [and] taxi companies" for every long-haired hippie. In that sense, this is just business as usual for Hawaii politics.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Ali`i

My gut feeling is that the environmentalists are being used as the fall guy
if this service falls through. As far as I understand an EIS was not required
by the state. But I believe as more people became aware of the negative impacts of the Super Ferry, now your hearing all this rumbling. I believe
an EIS should've been done from the get go even though it was not required.
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Ali`i

It probably doesn't matter to Mel. He probably doesn't care if
he has to deal with an introduction of fire ants on Oahu.He just wants to have the capitalistic machine roll over everything.

This any many other examples are why an EIS should be done for the Super Ferry.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/01/e...exletters.html

Stinging insects could be Superferry riders
The Hawaii Tribune Herald reported Feb. 13 that fruit pickers are fleeing fire ant stings in a Papaikou orchard. A home near the University of Hawaii in Hilo is one of more than 40 known fire ant sites in Hilo and Puna.

There are no approved pesticides for killing fire ants in edible fruit orchards. The tiny ants are even found in the fur of pets, where they can eventually cause blindness to the animals.

The ants are so small (about the thickness of a penny) they easily travel on plants, clothing, even pets, and could presumably hitch a ride in a car or truck.

This is just one exciting possibility that could be discussed by an Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed Superferry -- unless, of course, the business sweetheart deal being proposed allows the proponents to avoid following the law that requires the study.

Maybe saving a few bucks to drive a car around the state has some hidden costs. Maybe we should know more about them before signing a deal. Maybe we should follow the law, instead of being panicked into thinking the first offer is the last and only one.
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM

Why use my name in your post Aaron? You know my view. Build it and I will ride. I'm with the 80% majority on this. All kinds of stuff can move between the islands with the modes of transport we already have... barges, planes, ships, etc. We are only talking about 2 more ships. No big deal. Of course you are already set in your views as being with the obstructionist environmental whackos, and well that is what you want then that is what you'll get... nothing, because the whackos like you want to stop prgoress and economic relief from happening in Hawaii. Typical liberal viewpoint.

__________________________________________________ _____

Old March 1st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Ali`i

I was just stating fact that you don't care if alien species get transported
to other islands. I disagree that other modes of transport can do the same
damage. It seems you don't get it. I'll be telling you "I told you so" when
my prognoscations come true.

You do realize you are not the only person living on this planet. I hope you
do as your me, me,me,me attitude is very annoying. I would like to have
the Super Ferry happen, but not at the expense of the environment or
the people living on each island.