Abandoned Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandoned Animals

I have worked in a somewhat remote area in Pearl City for the past 10 years. During these 10 years I have seen many animals abandoned in the area and everyone of them is heart breaking. I have tried to catch them on occasion but god only knows what kind of abuse they suffered before hand; they will not come near a human.

I have seen these animals starving to death, in one case a starving dog eating a dog that had probably just died from starvation. This morning there was another dog, probably dumped over the weekend. This poor dog is hungry and very frightened. I called the Humane Society and they had already been unsucessful in catching this dog. They said they will set a trap on Tuesday.

I'm sorry, I hope I didn't get too graphic here. Like I said, it's a heart breaking situation and I'm sure it is happening all over the island.

I'm sure the intelligent people of HT don't need to be told this but please, the Hawaiian Human Society will take your unwanted pets and it is a much better alternative to dumping them somwhere to die a slow horrible death.

Thank you for listening.

Re: Abandoned Animals

very sad, but true situation. that's why i have a mother dog and her two babies (she was pregnant when she was found). she was near our truck and was eating ROCKS. we called the humane society. they never came.

one of our dogs (her second anniversary of death is today, died at 16) was given to us because her human mother was pregnant. we were her fourth owners.

oldest dog, now 18, was adopted from the humane society.

one cat, adopted from ex-family member.

two-cats adopted from another ex-family member.

fourth cat adopted because another ex-family member was supposed to care for it, but didn't.

yes, four dogs and four cats plus a gazillion black mollies.
    Last edited by kani-lehua; April 21, 2008, 07:13 PM.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

jesus christ! this is why i feel like people should be required to pass some sort of test about the animal they want to own before they are permitted to own it.

never ceases to amaze me how people bring home high energy dogs like beagles and border collies but never take them for walks. or how a couple expecting a baby will get a cat. and so on. it just ticks me off to no end.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        jesus christ! this is why i feel like people should be required to pass some sort of test about the animal they want to own before they are permitted to own it.

never ceases to amaze me how people bring home high energy dogs like beagles and border collies but never take them for walks. or how a couple expecting a baby will get a cat. and so on. it just ticks me off to no end.

the dog of ours that passed away two years ago was a beagle. she was most definitely high energy; had so much separation anxiety; was always in the trash; but, i loved her dearly! in the above post, i mentioned that we were her 4th owners. the day she died, i knew something was wrong when she wouldn't go on her much loved walks.
        "chaos reigns within.
        order shall return."

Comment

I'm not into "pet ownership", it's just not for me.
          Really can't believe how cruel some are to theirs though.

That said...
          I think it's weird how a hungry dog or cat can receive more sympathy than a human sitting nearby,
          possibly living in the same bushes.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            Really can't believe how cruel some are to theirs though.

That said...
            I think it's weird how a hungry dog or cat can receive more sympathy than a human sitting nearby,
            possibly living in the same bushes.
            good point. we give a homeless person at the airport money sometimes. not much. this person is not greedy. sometimes when offered the money, he won't take it. he'll hold up whatever bill he has in his hand and thank us just the same.

the message should be that animal lovers should spay/neuter their animals thus preventing all the unwanted ones who cannot fend for themselves.
            "chaos reigns within.
            order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post

Just curious...what defines pet ownership? I'm pretty sure my cats own ME...

Comment

You'd be surprised at how animals are treated in some island countries in the south pacific. Emaciated and maimed dogs and cats run wild in every island in French Polynesia, wandering in and out of restaurants, on the streets, in hotels, here in Hawaii I see birds in restaurants on the ground, but no dogs or cats. There was a big stink a few years ago of some American woman wanting to rescue all these wild cats on a motu off of Moorea, her pleas fell on deaf ears .. apart from other Americans, but there was nothing really that could be done. Pets dont' always have the same connotation as they do in the US.

When I was in Fiji once, the drive of my car taking me into the highlands purposely hit a dog walking down the street who happpened to walk in front of him. I have to admit, hearing that dog yelp loudly really made me want to not like that driver. I had to realize I was in his country, his customs and culture and they just did not see animals in the same light as we did.

Interesting that story a few days ago of that dog and parrot stranded on Fanning Island must have brought blank and surprised looks on certain islanders there. Why would a man thousands of miles away do as much to rescue a dog on a remote island. I admit it was sweet and very heartwarming, but in the grand scheme of things..
                n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                  here in Hawaii I see birds in restaurants on the ground, but no dogs or cats.
                  On Maui the feral cat situation is pretty bad. They have tried to control it and it has gotten better. A few years ago they were everywhere. Last summer it wasn't as bad as in the past, but a few were still around. Never saw any dogs without owners.

Comment

When PJ became part of our family we treat him as one. He's an indoor dog, eats with us, sleeps with us, watches TV with us, and plays with us. If I'm picking up the kids at school, PJ rides with me. When I need to go outside for some fresh air, PJ is with me.

We don't own PJ...PJ is a family member and is treated with the same respect. He just eats dry dog food.

PJ's a very active dog, but you know what? He's a dog! Dogs love to play and unless you're not willing to play with your dog, well it's like children. Don't plan on having them if you don't plan on investing in them as well.

Don't buy a new car if you can't spend the money to maintain it.

In other words think before you get. Like marriage. If you cannot learn to live with your spouse, then guess what. Like anything, if you cannot respect it you don't deserve it and it goes even more so for relationships whether it be a human being or a dog, cat, fish, rat, chameleon, Tomagatchi, pet rock...
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

We are ultimately judged by how we treat those beneath us, and I know how I would have treated the cab driver in Kaukura's post.
                      I already have a spot reserved in Heck, so dishing it out to such deserving scum is a favorite pasttime.

Having grown up in So. Cal, I eventually stopped going out of my neighborhood unless needed, as the critter carnage was unbelieveable.
                      Coming to Hawaii was great if just for the fact that you see MUCH less animals suffering or dead.

I've always felt animal ownership was a privilege that should be heavily restricted/regulated to keep the senseless horrors that too many are guilty of to an extreme minimum.
                      I'll never forget reading about some rich shit that penned his race horse next to his office window so he could watch it starve to death, for not being a winner.

The best animals are gotten from the pound. Save a life, you'll both be glad you did.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        The best animals are gotten from the pound. Save a life, you'll both be glad you did.
                        i somewhat agree with you ron. however, some (1 dog and 4 cats) of my animals needed to be rescued from their inHUMANe parents.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

The feral cats that can be seen when walking across the bridge at Pearlridge Mall between downtown and uptown is so sad! I know a girl that would buy kibble and get down there to feed them. I know the feral cats will breed, but what really gets bums me out is how many people ignorantly feel they must breed their family pet with the pet of a friend or relative just because they think that together the two animals will make cute babies! GOOD effin grief....

The animal population is so huge that I will never accept an animal from a breeder. Don't get me wrong, some breeders are responsible, do a lot of genetic testing and "do it right" but still I think a lot of them should not breed animals at all.

I am learning as I age and what I am learning about animals is that to rescue one through adoption really should be my only consideration and never encourage someone to breed by giving them my business. We did make that mistake years ago and paying hundreds for a beautiful siamese what we got was a lot of health problems with her.

The only time I have been to Waimanalo, the beautiful country that I saw of it was to visit and donate to what then was the Sylvester foundation. I think the lady, Candy and the guy that ran that were saints for having all of the animals they had taken in, and kept in a "no kill" enivironment.

Bless you that started this thread, and sorry that your name slips my mind at the moment. huggz~
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Manele & Koele (we named them) had been found wandering along the side of Fort Weaver Rd. abandoned - it is a big dumping ground apparently. They both had been abused. They were mother and daughter and were advised to be adopted together by the HHS. We thought this would be easy.....well relatively speaking in that we always wanted two dogs but our beloved Maggie would not have done well with a companion. So we got them and went through months of adjustment and easing of their fears and developed love and trust. We also had to go to training classes, both group and private here at the house. We had to housebreak them and often look for Manele as she would hide all the time, sometimes behind the giant TV stand getting tangled in the cable cords which was really hard to get her out. So for months we had bamboo trays and pillows blocking places that would be hard to retrieve her from. Manele was 3 at the time and had already had 2 litters and had recently had one judging by her physical appearance. Koele was a year old (vets can figure these things out) and was malnourished. It was our job to fatten her up as her slight 25 pounds was not enough to support her growing bones, she's part border collie and extremely adorable. Almost four years later we are rewarded with two lovely children and our lives would not be the same without them. Sure they still have their psycho moments and the puppy as we call her is still somewhat neurotic finding new things to weird out about everyday but I will never regret my decision to take the plunge and keep on with them during those first months and even year. You can't
                            buy love but you sure can grow it. Here they are check out page 3 they're on a flowered couch http://muttscomics.com/animals/gallery.asp

Comment

karen: just to let you know, when i pass and if the sylvester foundation is still around, most of my estate will go to them. the rest of my estate will be for my best friend who will take care of any animals of mine that are still alive.

leashlaws: sooo cute!
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                              X