Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Establishments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
[...]Then again, I was skeptical Buffalo Wild Wings in the Discovery Bay Center in Waikiki would catch on, but the place PACKS A CROWD! Boy, do they pack 'em in on football weekends. Crazy busy.
BWW is pretty spacious and contains a plethora of large, flat screen TVs; so many that I lost count! I think there's a wings eating contest on Tuesday nights. And the customer parking area for the center is full more often than not. Never used to be that way. I wonder how it's impacted Margarita's (sp?) downstairs. Maybe it benefits from an overflow.
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Luna

There is a building, Chinatown, near the corner of Maunakea and Beretania that has been vacant and abandoned/run-down looking for a few years, makai side, Diamondhead. The last few months there has been a serious re-hab taking place. It is taking shape with a classy facade.The other day I saw Mr Duc, of Duc's Bistro in there talking to the craftsmen. Perhaps he is moving his restaurant there.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Luna

Default Shakey's Pizza coming to Waipahu

Worth trying at least once.

http://www.shakeys.com/StoreLocatorR...=waipahu,%20hi
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Ali`i

Shakey's! Now, there's a name from the past. Will they have that old sing-along screen?
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Kumu

Sadly no Shakeys here on my end but I definately remember them back in the 70's/80's I recall there was one in Pearlridge & nr Ala Moana Center back in the day.

and this is the SHAKEYS I remember...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/25...57d6bf2a07.jpg

Last edited by DannyWilliams; January 14th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Ali`i

Bob Lee (Pizza Bob's from the North Shore) taking over the lease at Fisherman's Wharf at Kewalo Basin.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:46 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
There is a building, Chinatown, near the corner of Maunakea and Beretania that has been vacant and abandoned/run-down looking for a few years, makai side, Diamondhead. The last few months there has been a serious re-hab taking place. It is taking shape with a classy facade.The other day I saw Mr Duc, of Duc's Bistro in there talking to the craftsmen. Perhaps he is moving his restaurant there.
Looks like this is going to be a church. Perhaps a mission to service the lost souls exigent in Chinatown.

There are few uses for a building more uninteresting to me than church. Might be good people watching out front.

Last edited by Fritz; February 3rd, 2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Ali`i

Per above, Shakeys open or about to open in Waipahu - memory jogger: The first time around in HI, the "main" Shakey's was located @ ?
(I'm pretty sure I know the answer - anyone else?)
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Establishments: Shakey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Per above, Shakeys open or about to open in Waipahu - memory jogger: The first time around in HI, the "main" Shakey's was located @ ?
(I'm pretty sure I know the answer - anyone else?)
While I don't know the answer, a PBN news article published this past Monday may hold a clue:

Quote:
Shakey's USA spokeswoman Cindy Staats told PBN that there were four Shakey's locations in Hawaii in the 1970s -- in Honolulu, Pearl City, Kaneohe and Schofield Barracks -- but they all closed before 1980.

"Townie" sources tell me they remember the former Honolulu Shakey's location was on Ke'eaumoku street near Like Like Drive Inn. Was that their "main" location?

"West Side" sources tell me they remember the former Pearl City Shakey's was located on Kamehameha highway, right around where the current Pearl City Zippy's is, next to Don Quijote.

Growing up on the windward side, I do fondly (yet vaguely) remember the Kaneohe Shakey's. It was located on the makai-Daimond Head side corner of Kahuhipa street and Kamehameha highway, where now sits a strip mall including a Mexican and Vietnamese restaurant and Planned Parenthood (I think that's what's in there now).

What I remember most fondly about Shakey's was how the pizza cooks rolled and spun the pizza dough behind a glass window in front that was visible to guests near the entrance of the restaurant, which of course was fascinating to watch as a keiki.

Also remember they had really long cafeteria-style wood bench seating, which made it a fun place for big families to throw parties. There was also an arcade room in back with a bunch of pinball machines (and maybe a video game or two; I forget).

IIRC, their brick oven pizza was really good too! Then again, for most kids under 10, ANY pizza is good.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
"Townie" sources tell me they remember the former Honolulu Shakey's location was on Ke'eaumoku street near Like Like Drive Inn. Was that their "main" location?
The one at Ke'eaumoku and Rycroft was probably the busiest Shakey's.

Quote:
What I remember most fondly about Shakey's was how the pizza cooks rolled and spun the pizza dough behind a glass window in front that was visible to guests near the entrance of the restaurant, which of course was fascinating to watch as a keiki.

Also remember they had really long cafeteria-style wood bench seating, which made it a fun place for big families to throw parties. There was also an arcade room in back with a bunch of pinball machines (and maybe a video game or two; I forget).

IIRC, their brick oven pizza was really good too! Then again, for most kids under 10, ANY pizza is good.
I have fond memories of Shakey's too, back in the day. But nostalgia only goes so far in sustaining a business in a changing marketplace. One need only look at the limited success that Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour has had since it re-emerged in Hawaii several years ago.

What's next? Will Pioneer Chicken make a comeback?
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
The one at Ke'eaumoku and Rycroft was probably the busiest Shakey's.
My "townie" source said the still-existing building that Sorabol is now in was Shakey's. If go to Google Earth/Map 'Street View' and look at Sorabol from the street, he points out where Shakey's original front entrance steps were, which is surrounded by a stone facade.

Quote:
I have fond memories of Shakey's too, back in the day. But nostalgia only goes so far in sustaining a business in a changing marketplace. One need only look at the limited success that Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour has had since it re-emerged in Hawaii several years ago.

What's next? Will Pioneer Chicken make a comeback?
Well, Church's Fried Chicken tried making a comeback in Waikiki recently, and didn't last more than a year in the Waikiki Shopping Plaza before closing their doors.

Last edited by Pomai; February 11th, 2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: shopping, not business plaza
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

[quote=
"West Side" sources tell me they remember the former Pearl City Shakey's was located on Kamehameha highway, right around where the current Pearl City Zippy's is, next to Don Quijote.

Although I'm from Kalihi I recall the Pearl City Shakey's being on the makai side where Pearl Kai is now.
Same decor that you described, long bench tables, pitchers of dark or light beer and music.
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post

Although I'm from Kalihi I recall the Pearl City Shakey's being on the makai side where Pearl Kai is now.
Same decor that you described, long bench tables, pitchers of dark or light beer and music.
My other "west side" sources confirm you're right. My other source was mistaken.

They said Pearl City Shakey's was where Chevron gas station now is right up the street from Pearl Kai Shopping Center on the Makai side. Does that sound about right?
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Ali`i

Pomai gets the "prize," because Sorabol was mentioned. I always think of that as the "main" Shakey's because colleagues and I got invited to the grand opening and it was real close to work - maybe too close for the waistline.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

Quote:
My other "west side" sources confirm you're right. My other source was mistaken.

They said Pearl City Shakey's was where Chevron gas station now is right up the street from Pearl Kai Shopping Center on the Makai side. Does that sound about right?
Sounds right to me, I also remember a wide open parking lot with bushes around it.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Ali`i

As far as the west-side Shakey's, yes, it was located near Pearl Kai. I remember because I grew up in Aiea. As to who was the "main" Shakey's, I don't know. But if I remember correctly, the Aiea Shakey's was the first to open in the 60s, with Keeaumoku/Rycroft following. Does the first restaurant = "main" restaurant?
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Ali`i

I just spotted a "COMING SOON" sign put today in front of the former Jack in the Box location on Kalakaua avenue in Waikiki, at the junction where it meets Ala Moana Blvd. (near 7 Eleven and Direct ING). It says coming soon will be Prince Kuhio Pharmacy, a Good Neighbor Pharmacy company.

It will feature drive-thru and delivery service.

What upsets me is how these types of businesses occupy such prime real estate locations. An investment company and a pharmacy on such high visibility properties on Kalakaua avenue? Yeah, that's just what our visitors and locals come to Waikiki to do: get their meds and check their portfolios.

Good grief.
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Ali`i

I saw that sign today, too, Pomai, and thought...Yay! A pharmacy in the 'hood (well, other than Longs at AMC)! A pharmacy with drive thru and delivery; better yet! My 2nd thought was...How in the heck is a drugstore going to afford Waikiki rent!!! My 3rd thought was...I wonder if it will be a Medicare provider pharmacy!
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
What upsets me is how these types of businesses occupy such prime real estate locations. An investment company and a pharmacy on such high visibility properties on Kalakaua avenue? Yeah, that's just what our visitors and locals come to Waikiki to do: get their meds and check their portfolios.
Decades ago the City was all bussup over The Tiki Torch girly biz sitting at the 'gateway to Waikiki', and since then we've had a wonderful vacant lot there instead and a trashy looking former JITB rotting at the 'gateway' for years.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Ali`i

Riding TheBus down King Street this morning, I norticed a work crew cleaning up inside the former TGIF spot at the corner of Ward (across from Concert Hall). Could something be brewing?
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Ali`i

Today I noticed work being done on a new Fresh Catch location here in Kaneohe which is a great thing! They have their first location on Waialae in Kaimuki.
This is where Papa John's and Blazing Steaks used to be by Pizza Hut.
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Luna

Tai Pan Dim Sum in Chinese Cultural Center has expanded into the next store doubling the size of their dining room. I'll be going there more often as I enjoy their food but feel cramped in the little dining room. Problem is, the place is still full even with twice as much dining space. I think they could take over the tailor/cleaners on the other side and still fill it up. Place is a Gem. Staff is very nice. Food is delicious, and good price.
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Ali`i

Curious to see what the new Ross in Waikiki is going to feature. Are they giong to have stuff that might be more appealing to tourists?

The Fat Greek opening near Ilikai. Looking forward to a Greek restaurant in Waikiki finally. :-)
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Decades ago the City was all bussup over The Tiki Torch girly biz sitting at the 'gateway to Waikiki', and since then we've had a wonderful vacant lot there instead and a trashy looking former JITB rotting at the 'gateway' for years.
I wish Club Hubba-Hubba would re-open. It seems tourists are supposed to come to Hawaii and have fun....but NOT too much fun. Even better, put the NEW Club H-H in Waikiki. Bring the historic sign with. Tastefully done it could be a gold mine and strike a revival.

Make a smoking area at the airport already. And I'm not a smoker.
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I wish Club Hubba-Hubba would re-open. It seems tourists are supposed to come to Hawaii and have fun....but NOT too much fun. Even better, put the NEW Club H-H in Waikiki. Bring the historic sign with. Tastefully done it could be a gold mine and strike a revival.
It wouldn't be Hubba Hubba anywhere else but where it is. They really do need to re-do/open it, and talk is they are, but that's been said ever since they closed the doors... If nothing else, they need to save the iconic sign, it's starting to rust up. Ah, Hubba Hubba... memories...